Cycle of giving

Cycle of giving

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:35 am

Just wondering - is anyone participating in the Prince Charles hospital's cycle of giving this coming Sunday?
Newrider2014

by BNA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 am

BNA

Re: Cycle of giving

Postby CRV » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 am

Yep!! Have not done this one before so have no idea on the organisation or facilities.
CRV

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:18 am

Neither - but looks nice and hopefully well organised.

What km are you doing?
Newrider2014

Postby cancan64 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:34 pm

I am doing it....first time for this event...cycling into Roma St and cycling back to Wynnum after the ride...(Strava Gran Fondo2 challenge)...hopefully the weather will be good...wife was not happy as its her birthday but having a daughter that will need lung transplant at some time in the future she was happy for the cause
cancan64

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:08 pm

It's a pretty good ride. I did last years ride. Free charter train from Roma Street to Caboolture and Landsborough. Rest points/water stops at Caboolture, Clontarf and Chermside. Just watch out for the speedbump at Chermside :P

Lukeyboy

Postby GTRmon7 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Did it last year, will probably do it again this year. The charter train ride is good, although be prepared to hold your bike between you legs vertically or at an awkward angle.

Organisation is basic compared to the bigger charity rides, but more than enough. Route is very flat, flatter then B2GC, but there's often strong headwinds through Deception Bay/Contarf region.

Be prepared for hubbards aggressively overtaking each other during the first 10-20 km as they vie for key peloton position so that they can arrive for the first sausage at Chermside. Which is not much different to any charity ride, but the roads are narrower and have a higher speed limit.

But if you sit back and enjoy the ride it's a really nice one and a great cause.
GTRmon7

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:55 pm

I found myself overtaking alot for the first bit but it was just to get some space between myself and others and to be around riders that were capable of a similar pace/experience as there was a lot of surging with those first few hills out behind landsborough. It was mostly created by riders not as fit or inexperienced riders ie not maintaining a constant pace/really riding in the wrong gear. If your not the fastest/fittest of riders I still don't know why they shuffle themselves to the front all the time.
Lukeyboy

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Lol - I certainly won't be doing it for any other reason other then to have a bit of time on the bike for a good cause?.. But being new to riding and especially group riding I'm only doing the 25kms... Really wanted to do the 60km but just not sure i would make it.

Do all 3 groups take off at same time.. Or is it staggered so the riders like me doing 25km just join on to the end of the 100km group?
Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:It's a pretty good ride. I did last years ride. Free charter train from Roma Street to Caboolture and Landsborough. Rest points/water stops at Caboolture, Clontarf and Chermside. Just watch out for the speedbump at Chermside :P

Great video! Am so jealous of those guys who can ride 100kms no problems! Bring t on!!
Newrider2014

Postby GTRmon7 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Newrider2014 wrote:Lol - I certainly won't be doing it for any other reason other then to have a bit of time on the bike for a good cause?.. But being new to riding and especially group riding I'm only doing the 25kms... Really wanted to do the 60km but just not sure i would make it.

Do all 3 groups take off at same time.. Or is it staggered so the riders like me doing 25km just join on to the end of the 100km group?

Everyone finishes at Chermside together, so the shorter rides start at intermediate points and later times.

That video has some sweet pro hubbard overtaking and randomly spread out riders. Along with people getting lost, riding in oncoming lanes and falling over speed bumps...
GTRmon7

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:18 pm

Newrider2014 wrote:Lol - I certainly won't be doing it for any other reason other then to have a bit of time on the bike for a good cause?.. But being new to riding and especially group riding I'm only doing the 25kms... Really wanted to do the 60km but just not sure i would make it.

Oh you can still do it for the fun and the reason behind it but the thing with charity rides are that you get mixed people with varying fitness levels and skills. Especially in the 100km groups. For example say you might be comfortable averaging 20kph over the whole distance with ease while some riders do the ride with the same amount of ease but at an average of 30kph. Then you have some that put more effort in and average 35kph. And then comes those that are in the middle and want to tag onto the faster riders just because they are faster and they might not get to ride in a group very often or at all. You'll find a lot of the more experienced riders tend to shy away from bigger charity rides as a result and attend the smaller charity rides which end up being more fun (I think the Cycle Of Giving/Brisbane2Ipswich are better rides than the Brissie to the Bay/Brisbane to Gold Coast because they don't attract huge numbers. You can very easily form groups of people that your comfortable around. The only reason I like the Gold Coast ride is because I get to belt it along the busway :P).

This is the best example I can show in regards to fitness levels in mass charity rides. I was riding casually just following the motorbike ahead...... :P
Lukeyboy

Postby Newrider2014 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:48 am

Riding casually....where was everybody else?? :wink: :shock: lol!

Well this morning I managed 40kms ok, but I think im going to stick to the smaller 25kms for the weekend, just as its the first charity ride and I riding by myself and not sure how ill go in groups etc. looking forward to it though, can't wait to build up for a bigger ride eventually, can't do the ippy one as I'm away with work that weekend.
Newrider2014

Postby marinmomma » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:29 am

Newrider, ignore Luke...he's a young whippet who rides like the wind....however he couldn't catch me in a handicap race last year :wink:

Seriously, what Luke is trying to show is the vast range of skills and ability that mass participation rides lump together, stick with what you're comfortable with, although if you can do a 40k ride solo then you'd be fine with the 60k version, in my opinion!
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Newrider2014 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 am

Yeah.... I did wonder if he was a bike guru... Gosh the only thing I can do in the wind is catch the breeze hahaha

Looking forward to this weekend, maybe I should try and change to the longer ride.
Newrider2014

Postby phineas » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:40 am

Great video Luke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
phineas

Postby cancan64 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:42 pm

I read somewhere that the lesser km groups will be starting once the main 100km group has passed.. which I think they estimate at 8am for caboolture and 9am for redcliffe.
Weather forecast is for south easterly's = head wind but only 20-30km at this stage.. oh and morning showers...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
cancan64

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:52 pm

marinmomma wrote:Newrider, ignore Luke...he's a young whippet who rides like the wind....however he couldn't catch me in a handicap race last year :wink:

Only because I had a massive headwind, 6 flats, a cracked frame and had to repel down the side of the dam to save the children and puppies from their bus that had caught on fire. Still managed to only finish something like 11 minutes behind you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:19 pm

It sort of depends. I think last year just to get from Landsborough to Caboolutre for the start there you had to average something like 35-36kph. I think for this ride the slower groups start shortly before the faster ones. Its not a large event so riders spread out more quicker by the time they get to the next group of riders. Last year Boondall-Chermside was pretty quiet with it looking more like a commute along the bikeway in the city.
Lukeyboy

Postby RobM » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Did it last year. (I'm in that video above at 1:29). Props to them for the well organised train to the start. Take it easy at the start and let the muppets race off - you will catch them by the first rest stop. Great event. I'd be there Sunday but will be in Perth. Have fun!

Tip: wait at the ends of the station for the train. You're likely to get more room to sit.
RobM

Postby marinmomma » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:58 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
marinmomma wrote:Newrider, ignore Luke...he's a young whippet who rides like the wind....however he couldn't catch me in a handicap race last year :wink:

Only because I had a massive headwind, 6 flats, a cracked frame and had to repel down the side of the dam to save the children and puppies from their bus that had caught on fire. Still managed to only finish something like 11 minutes behind you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not only do you descend on rails, you're now superman :roll: the legend grows!
This years version you'll be bumped up to Div 1 and depending on when I start racing again I may sneak back into Div 2 however I think my handicap might be bigger 8)
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby spacehopper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:16 am

Did it last year. Great ride particularly the first half along the base of the glasshouse mountains.
spacehopper

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:29 pm

spacehopper wrote:Did it last year. Great ride particularly the first half along the base of the glasshouse mountains.

Not wrong about that. The dark clouds, sunlight, the wet roads, green grass and trees lining both sides made it very enjoyable. Well at least it did for me :P

marinmomma wrote:Not only do you descend on rails, you're now superman :roll: the legend grows!
This years version you'll be bumped up to Div 1 and depending on when I start racing again I may sneak back into Div 2 however I think my handicap might be bigger 8)

Haha. Yeah, I'll be signing up for div 1 this year anyway. 85km or something isn't it? Last year was my first road race so I was taking it easy together with the whole handicap system (I blew that off about 10km in and went solo haha). Might have to climb over Glourious as a warm up and cool down ride :P How are you going race fitness/prep wise? Got any rough ideas of when you might return?
Lukeyboy

Postby Newrider2014 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Luke - you sound like you were made to be superman! Saving kids and a puppy forum a burning husband still finishing before others like me even got the wheels spinning...

I so excited for the weekend... Ohhhh rain... Hmmm havent ridden in rain before,,,
Newrider2014

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 pm

puppies* :P

Riding in the rain is fine. You just have to be more cautious. Extend your braking zones. Don't lean in corners as much. Stay away from white lines on the road. Be careful around servos where oil is guaranteed to be around. Stay away from manhole covers/drain grates etc as you'll be on your ass before you know it.
Lukeyboy

Postby Newrider2014 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Oh lord... So much to remember let alone remind myself to unclup from the shoes I just purchased.... OMGosh what have I done....
Newrider2014

Next

Return to Queensland