Cycle of giving

cancan64

Re: Cycle of giving

Postby cancan64 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:18 pm

Ride was good although the wind was brutal....sideways over the hornibrook... and going down the gateway going home was crap... and worse strava added the train trip to my distance ridden so I had to split the ride which ended my gran fondo2 challenge... at least it didn't rain

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Ah see there is the reason god decided I wasn't going to ride... Not only was I going to have to worry about all the bike and road 'things' I'd also have to contend with swimming from Redcliffe :|

Hope you all had fun... When's the next ride I can enter???!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 am

Brisbane2Ipswich? That's in March or April IIRC.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 am

That's a shame that you didn't get to ride yesterday.

That headwind would have been brutal, I bet some were wishing that the ride had been on last weekend, you wouldn't have hardly had to turn the pedals!!

There is the Ipswich 100 coming up on Sunday April 13th.
Coot-Tha Challenge is in May (later than recent years)

The past couple of years has been the 7Pillars ride sometime in ? May

Brisbane to the Bay is June

Brisbane to the Gold Coast is ? October sometime

Robbie McEwan's Gran Fondo Ride is ? September

That what comes to mind at the moment and there's probably more.
Lisa

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Yeah those winds through Redcliffe wouldn't have been nice.
Was hard enough getting around at 8:30, saw some of the signs for this and knew there would be some hard peddling ahead later. Almost got blown off going round one of the roundabouts in Scarborough and pushing 25 on the bridge was a struggle was glad to make it over and find some respite.

In addition to that list, there is also the Buderim 9 in December usually plus last year this link is broken did a ride in the tweed in November

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:56 pm

marinmomma wrote:That's a shame that you didn't get to ride yesterday.

That headwind would have been brutal, I bet some were wishing that the ride had been on last weekend, you wouldn't have hardly had to turn the pedals!!

There is the Ipswich 100 coming up on Sunday April 13th.
Coot-Tha Challenge is in May (later than recent years)

The past couple of years has been the 7Pillars ride sometime in ? May

Brisbane to the Bay is June

Brisbane to the Gold Coast is ? October sometime

Robbie McEwan's Gran Fondo Ride is ? September

That what comes to mind at the moment and there's probably more.

Just chiming in to second this. My first "big" ride was the Ipswich 50 last year. It was a nice ride and not too crowded. It's on early April. Next I did the Brissie to Bay in June. A few more people but had a few more skills so a nice ride too. And then proud to complete the Brissie to Gold Coast in October. And this from someone new to road biking and, I suspect, just a few years older than you. :D

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm super keen to do more riding!
Venus - oh wow bne to Goldie in first year of cycling?! That's great, would love to do something like that! Don't think I'll be quite good enough this year though.
Wish I was here in apricot do the ippy one, unfortunately I'm away on holidays.. Will def put it in for next year.
I think it was a blessing not doing the Sunday ride, I had injured my back (catching a cheerleader) and was on ohysio table x2 last thurs/fri... Feeling much better now and can't wait to do more rides!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Venus62 wrote:Just chiming in to second this. My first "big" ride was the Ipswich 50 last year. It was a nice ride and not too crowded. It's on early April. Next I did the Brissie to Bay in June. A few more people but had a few more skills so a nice ride too. And then proud to complete the Brissie to Gold Coast in October. And this from someone new to road biking and, I suspect, just a few years older than you. :D
I started cycling Feb last year and I rode the same as Venus62 ... I completed the 66km Brisbane to Ipswich, then the 100km Brissie to Bay and then Brissie to Gold Coast plus commute to start.

This is my possible list for this year: plus I am now commuting to and from the events where possible now

23 Feb Cycle of giving Landsborough to Brisbane, http://www.tpchfoundation.org.au/News-a ... -2014.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Completed
30 Mar Ride he range http://www.ridetherange.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Registered
28 April Noosa century http://www.usmevents.com.au/Cycling.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4 May Mt Cootha Challenge http://www.bq.org.au/ride/events-calendar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
22 Jun http://www.brissietothebay.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Registered
3 Aug Deswik Logans run http://www.tailwindpromotions.com.au/in ... &Itemid=57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Aug Mortonbay100 http://moretonbay100.org.au/routes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
24 Aug Redlands Classic ride http://redlandsclassicride.com.au/100km-course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
14 Sep Epic http://www.qldmtb.com.au/events/2014-fl ... ycle-epic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
8 Nov http://www.sourcetosea.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
29 Nov Lake Taupo challenge http://www.cyclechallenge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:51 am

Registration is now open for next years ride... http://cycleofgiving.gofundraise.com.au/

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Ride is on this Sunday.

TC Marcia was nice enough to wash the roads down for you, so no excuses not to sign up :D

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm

RobM wrote:Ride is on this Sunday.

TC Marcia was nice enough to wash the roads down for you, so no excuses not to sign up :D
Yeah - Bring an extra tube, watch out for the pot holes, mud, and sand!

I'm doing the century, as well as riding in from Acacia Ridge to Roma St, then home again from Chermside, I should just make 100 miles for the day. Gran Fondo 3 done on the first of the Month! :mrgreen:
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:40 am

So who is riding this ride this year... I am back in he 100km plus commute and hoping for last years weather

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Training ride with Damien this morning....another one next thursday (river loop)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:36 pm

When did Damien get bewbs??? haha [emoji14]

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:48 am

I'm in but instead of leaving home at 03:30 for the commute to Roma St, this year the family's making a weekend of it. We'll be driving up on Friday arvo and staying at Landsborough for the weekend. I won't need to roll out if bed till 6am. [emoji41]

Not to sure how the bike will cope riding on the back of the car, it's only ever done that once to the LBS... I will ride home from the finish though.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 am

Lukeyboy wrote:When did Damien get bewbs??? haha [emoji14]
New sponsor.
Seriously get on everyone, it's a very good cause.

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:14 am

I'm in for the 100km (+ a bit extra for getting to/from). Will be my first century in a few years, so looking forward to the test & seeing how the legs & body handle the final third... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:30 am

I've created a team of which Calvin & I will be part of, please join.

VELOMINATI

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:12 am

Merlo are matching all donations for this week dollar for dollar (till 4pm Friday). Time to send out another fundraising email.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:17 pm

Just reposted on facebook....having a shocker fundraising this year

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:20 pm

PiratePete wrote:Merlo are matching all donations for this week dollar for dollar (till 4pm Friday). Time to send out another fundraising email.
Pirate, you coming to the River loop ride tomoz?

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Nah, did it this morning. [emoji846]
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Its about a 45km each way commute to the hospital for me, so I am thinking of parking somewhere in between the hospital and carseldine so I only have to do an extra 10km.

Why the heck does the train leave from Carseldine instead of Zilmere or Geebung? Think they just want to make us ride a few more k's :evil: :D

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:21 pm

I am going to ride to the start. ...well unless i sleep in .. will have to leave before 2am .. will see how i feel at the end if I can do the 30km trip home ...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:34 pm

myforwik wrote:Its about a 45km each way commute to the hospital for me, so I am thinking of parking somewhere in between the hospital and carseldine so I only have to do an extra 10km.

Why the heck does the train leave from Carseldine instead of Zilmere or Geebung? Think they just want to make us ride a few more k's :evil: :D
Easier to access and location.