FNQ rides?

FNQ rides?

Postby deelo76 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi

Anyone know any good rides in Far North QLD? I live in Port Douglas and looking for a ride to
do. I've moved from USA so not familiar around here yet.

Thanks!
deelo76

by BNA » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:09 pm

BNA

Re: FNQ rides?

Postby elantra » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:09 pm

deelo76 wrote:Hi

Anyone know any good rides in Far North QLD? I live in Port Douglas and looking for a ride to
do. I've moved from USA so not familiar around here yet.

Thanks!

Well you could start with the ride up Rex Range from Mossman. (Mossman is not far from Port Douglas)
The climb is nice and the descent is even nicer.
You can keep going all the way to Mt Molloy if you like but the road gets busier when you get close to Mt Molloy.

There are other nice rides on the Atherton Tablelands, but a Cairns or Atherton local resident would be more qualified to advise and that is some distance from Port.
What i do know is that the coast road (Captain Cook Highway) south towards Cairns from Port Douglas is a shocker and does not lend itself to enjoyable cycling.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby dfa7559 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm

On the contrary I have riden the Captain CookHighway and it was a beautiful ride!

The only thing that I would be wary about when speaking of riding this stretch of highway is the fact that for most of it there is very little shoulder(read 500mm) so is not the safest ride in my opintion. Having said that, I rode it last on an early sunday morning, leaving Cairns at 6am, and it was not all that busy.
dfa7559

Postby oxonabike » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Indeed the captain cook highway is a great ride but I think you need to pick your times. We did a Cairns - Port Douglas return a couple of weeks ago leaving at around 5.30 am. I had always been hesitant about doing this ride, but an informal bunch was organised and so the trip was done. Having said that, I don't think I'd ride it during sugar season, and definitely get the ride done early so you beat the worst of the traffic. Might also be better done before the grey nomads come out in force. If riding from Port Douglas, you would get a handy tail wind home usually.

Cairns has several organised bunch rides over weekends, as well as informal groups that organise rides around things like Strava Gran Fondo challenges etc. However, seeing as you're in Port Douglas, your best bet is to probably head over to PD Bikeworks in Macrossan St as they seem to be the organiser of group and shop rides up that way. They are also very active on facebook where they post rides and local info. This link might work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/PD-Bike- ... 57?fref=ts
oxonabike

Return to Queensland