Budget cuts force people out of cars

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 pm

artical from City News www.questnews.com.au

lifestyleHealth, Beauty & Fitness31 Jul 08 (AT) 09:35am
BRISBANE, July 31: Having pawned all the family silver and jewels in order to fill their fuel tanks each week, Brisbane drivers have taken to the streets.

Rising fuel costs could be driving a new fitness phase, with a survey this month finding more than one in three Brisbane residents are cycling or walking more to cut their petrol bill.

In a survey run by ourbrisbane.com and NRMA Insurance, Brisbane households were asked about the steps they had taken to reduce fuel consumption.

NRMA Insurance spokesperson Frank Adler said the results showed fuel costs had forced many households to leave the car at home.

The top tactics for saving on the fuel bill were walking or cycling, and catching more public transport.

Mr Adler said that while rising fuel costs could hit hard on the average Brisbane family budget, the survey findings showed there was an upside.

“Many locals are now choosing the pedometer or pedals over petrol,” he said.

“It’s not only a win for the hip pocket, but also for personal fitness and our environment, with fewer cars on our roads leading to a reduction in carbon emissions.”

Mr Adler said those residents who had purchased a more fuel-efficient car could also realise savings beyond the bowser, with some car insurers offering discounts on insurance for fuel-efficient cars.
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

by BNA » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:01 am

BNA

Postby russellgarrard » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:01 am

and more flying bicycles's bringing their bad habits to the cycleways... :roll:

Also, what's the deal with cyclist's just blowing past everything instead of slowing down and ensuring everything is safe before overtaking?

I also must admit to pulling out in front (not dangerously close) of a cyclist the other night on a bicycleway, there was a carpark at the start of the path, I was about 30M down...I thought he was a motorcycle the lights were that bright so I started pulling a u-turn, only found out he was a bicycle when he blew past!
russellgarrard

Return to Queensland