I`ve been booked

I`ve been booked

Postby BrizJames » Thu May 15, 2014 11:35 am

Yesterday, 7am, Cootha, anti clockwise,down from the cafe, up from the new car park. 50 zone. He said 66 ,I had 67;and I thought my computer was accurate! as measured off on the Shulz Canal. No I don`t have a
Garmin/gps thingo, I`m a technophope. I know where all the Radars are,and anyway ther`e only for cars.NOT. Ridden It 100+ times in 10+years Never see before.I never speed that section on my R80(beemer) So I`m still pissed off.(at myself) To top it Off cop said "We are enforcing the new 1metre rule so we`re policing bike speeds". mony balony. How will they enforce it? and will we ever know?
BrizJames
BrizJames

by BNA » Thu May 15, 2014 12:35 pm

BNA

Re: I`ve been booked

Postby bychosis » Thu May 15, 2014 12:35 pm

Appears another cyclist was booked yesterday too, jasonc, posted in the how was your commute thread
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 15, 2014 12:35 pm

Good to hear that the Police are doing this. 50 km/h zones are there for reason.

An elderly lady here in Perth got killed when a cyclist collided with her (in a 50 km/h zone by the way). The cyclist was coming down a small hill at the time and the lady stepped out without looking and paid the ultimate cost :( Not the cyclist fault but it just reinforces that things happen and sometimes there are bad outcomes and that people riding bikes can be involved in non motor vehicle incidents that result in deaths.

Oh that is not the first such incident either ... we now have a careless driving offence for cyclists in WA due to the actions of a cyclist on a shared path ... outcome? One dead pedestrian :(.

Speeding is speeding ... choice of vehicle does not change that.

Cheers
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby elantra » Thu May 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Aushiker wrote:Good to hear that the Police are doing this. 50 km/h zones are there for reason.

An elderly lady here in Perth got killed when a cyclist collided with her (in a 50 km/h zone by the way). The cyclist was coming down a small hill at the time and the lady stepped out without looking and paid the ultimate cost :( Not the cyclist fault but it just reinforces that things happen and sometimes there are bad outcomes and that people riding bikes can be involved in non motor vehicle incidents that result in deaths.

Oh that is not the first such incident either ... we now have a careless driving offence for cyclists in WA due to the actions of a cyclist on a shared path ... outcome? One dead pedestrian :(.

Speeding is speeding ... choice of vehicle does not change that.

Cheers
Andrew

Yes and No.
The Fuzz were standing at the base of a long steep hill.
There are NO intersections near this place.
There is NO footpath. (Yes there are sometimes walkers and runners but only the more "outdoorsy" type)
Traffic conditions at 6-7 am are LIGHT.
The speed limit of 50 km/hr there is relatively inappropriate, it is a very decent bit of road, not unduly narrow, and more or less straight.

Anyway as a resident of Qld i accept that inappropriate use of Police resources is commonplace and anyone who uses the roads has to expect to get a ticket from time to time, even cyclists.

Makes me think of of something i saw years ago, on Coro drive (not far from Coot-tha)
They were pulling up cars for speeding on Coro drive, while a few hundred metres away there were some terrible hoons in an old Commodore doing burnouts in the park, beside a childrens play area.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby WarbyD » Thu May 15, 2014 1:47 pm

elantra wrote:Anyway as a resident of Qld i accept that anyone who breaks the laws that they agree to abide by as a part of using the roads has to expect to get a ticket from time to time, even those who think they should be above the law for some reason.

There, I fixed that for you.
WarbyD

Postby munga » Thu May 15, 2014 1:54 pm

lol. WarbyD, do you ride coot-tha at all? i think the record for rolling down coot-tha is about 93km/h. 50 is ridiculous, and you don't have to 'think you should be above the law for some reason' to see that.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby RonK » Thu May 15, 2014 2:08 pm

BrizJames wrote:Yesterday, 7am, Cootha, anti clockwise,down from the cafe, up from the new car park. 50 zone. Ridden It 100+ times in 10+years Never see before.

I've seen Police near that new car park with a speed gun quite a few times. Surely most regulars on Coot-tha would know about it.

All very well for the Police to be seen enforcing the recent changes on cyclists, but let's have visibility of them enforcing the one-metre rule on motorists too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu May 15, 2014 2:13 pm

BrizJames wrote:To top it Off cop said "We are enforcing the new 1metre rule so we`re policing bike speeds". mony balony. How will they enforce it? and will we ever know?
BrizJames

As much as I think 50kmh is too low a speed limit there, if we get pinged we can't complain, it is clearly signed. HOWEVER I would love to have asked the cop if they were enforcing the 1m rule and thus are policing bike speeds, how many motorists have been pinged for close passes vs tickets issued for speeding cyclists. Somehow I can't see the stats backing up that claim...

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Postby WarbyD » Thu May 15, 2014 2:24 pm

munga wrote:lol. WarbyD, do you ride coot-tha at all? i think the record for rolling down coot-tha is about 93km/h. 50 is ridiculous, and you don't have to 'think you should be above the law for some reason' to see that.

Nope - it's a bit of a trek from Perth (TBH if I'd noticed this was in the QLD forum I usually wouldn't have even opened the thread, was just browsing "unread posts").. Your opinion of the speed limit doesn't change it's legal standing though. The fact that someone was able to do 93km/h down there is irrelevant - just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I just get annoyed at the hypocrisy of cyclists bragging about breaking the law (ie speed limit) or picking/choosing what they will comply with (ie red lights) but then at the same time jumping up and down at motorists doing the same (perfect example in here with people complaining about the officer booking a cyclist for breaking the law instead of chasing motorists for breaking the law)
WarbyD

Postby munga » Thu May 15, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm not saying I thinks it's wrong, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say we all think we're above the law

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

munga

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu May 15, 2014 2:30 pm

WarbyD wrote:
munga wrote:lol. WarbyD, do you ride coot-tha at all? i think the record for rolling down coot-tha is about 93km/h. 50 is ridiculous, and you don't have to 'think you should be above the law for some reason' to see that.

Nope - it's a bit of a trek from Perth (TBH if I'd noticed this was in the QLD forum I usually wouldn't have even opened the thread, was just browsing "unread posts").. Your opinion of the speed limit doesn't change it's legal standing though. The fact that someone was able to do 93km/h down there is irrelevant - just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I just get annoyed at the hypocrisy of cyclists bragging about breaking the law (ie speed limit) or picking/choosing what they will comply with (ie red lights) but then at the same time jumping up and down at motorists doing the same (perfect example in here with people complaining about the officer booking a cyclist for breaking the law instead of chasing motorists for breaking the law)

Not instead. I'd just like them to do both rather than use the theoretical enforcement of one to mollify people being pinged in the practical enforcement of the other.

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Postby munga » Thu May 15, 2014 2:33 pm

In this instance, I see it as revenue raising rather than doing any actual good. It's no different to setting up a radar at the bottom of a hill to ping motorists; it may be the law, but it's still silly.

munga

Postby WarbyD » Thu May 15, 2014 2:35 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
WarbyD wrote:

Not instead. I'd just like them to do both rather than use the theoretical enforcement of one to mollify people being pinged in the practical enforcement of the other.

That's fair enough and I agree there..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD

Postby silentC » Thu May 15, 2014 2:50 pm

I see it as revenue raising rather than doing any actual good

You think so? I reckon BrizJames has just taken one for the team. The cops are obviously responding to criticism that 'cyclists get away with it all the time'. OK, we'll show you, we'll ping a few for speeding, how's that? Fair play. Just need to get it on the 6:00 news now.
silentC

Postby munga » Thu May 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Yeah, I think so. Rolling down Coot-tha 13km over the limit is a heck of a lot less reckless than running red lights during peak hour. How many motorists saw James speeding?

munga

Postby munga » Thu May 15, 2014 3:04 pm

As I said: in this instance, I think it's silly.

munga

Postby herzog » Thu May 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Is it possible that it's a 50 zone *because* of the prevalence of cyclists?
herzog

Postby Crawf » Thu May 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Crawf

Postby munga » Thu May 15, 2014 3:05 pm

I'd wager that running red lights in the city causes more offence to motorists than speeding down Coot-tha.

munga

Postby silentC » Thu May 15, 2014 3:12 pm

munga wrote:Yeah, I think so. Rolling down Coot-tha 13km over the limit is a heck of a lot less reckless than running red lights during peak hour. How many motorists saw James speeding?

Fair call. I don't know the location, I'm about 1,500km south :)

It just seems reasonable to me to expect that cyclists will be getting a bit more attention from the boys in blue in light of recent noises being made about level playing fields etc.. Not saying I agree with it, just not very surprised is all...
silentC

Postby munga » Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 pm

silentC wrote:It just seems reasonable to me to expect that cyclists will be getting a bit more attention from the boys in blue in light of recent noises being made about level playing fields etc.. Not saying I agree with it, just not very surprised is all...

Agreed.

munga

Postby elantra » Thu May 15, 2014 3:28 pm

herzog wrote:Is it possible that it's a 50 zone *because* of the prevalence of cyclists?

No.
It's a 50 zone because it is part of a Recreation reserve, and most of the rest of Brisbane is a 50 zone anyway

Years ago i think it was a 60 zone.
Years ago it was used by brissie revheads, mainly in the 50's and 60's.
And there were some deaths from car accidents in those days.
These days the revheads prefer to go other places and it has been "adopted" by cyclists and runners.

There have been deaths on Mt Coot-tha, at least one motorist and one cyclist in recent years.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

I`ve been booked

Postby RonK » Thu May 15, 2014 3:52 pm

herzog wrote:Is it possible that it's a 50 zone *because* of the prevalence of cyclists?

No. It's 50kph there because the council built a new (temorary?) carpark in that clearing for workers employed on the Legacy Way tunnel, and the entrance is concealed by a bend.
Last edited by RonK on Thu May 15, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby skull » Thu May 15, 2014 3:56 pm

It is a 50 zone because the council said it was.

You're opinion that 50 is too slow doesn't change the fact that the law is 50.

You deserve the ticket.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
skull

Postby bychosis » Thu May 15, 2014 4:05 pm

And next time you head down there hide your speedo so you at least claim that you thought you were doing 50 and possibly end up with a lower grade of fine. Not going to work though if you are doing 70+
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Next

Return to Queensland