Highgate Hill getting an upgrade

Zynster

Highgate Hill getting an upgrade

Postby Zynster » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 am

Looks like Gladstone Rd and Dornoch Tce are getting bike lanes. The usual trolls in the comments.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 15jg2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

sumgy

Re: Highgate Hill getting an upgrade

Postby sumgy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Very little upgrade at all TBH Dorian.
This road was to be re-laid anyway. The bulk of the improvements for cyclists involved removal of up to half a dozen carparks; making some roads "No Right Turn" and painting the bike lane green for the entire distance. Given that BCC's own guidelines say that they must provide suitable and safe bicycle infrastructure on all upgrades this is something that they should be doing anyway.
Since this meeting it has also recognised that the upgrade to Dornoch Terrace does not seem to provide any additional cycling infrastructure at all. Yes, there is the removal of the ability to turn out of St James Street, but unless something has changed recently, Dornoch Terrace remains BAZ for its entire distance.

This is window dressing with pretend consultation with the relevant User Groups.
BQ had already been provided the plans and Ben from BQ even stated to me that they had seen and "approved" them.
The roundtable was a token gesture to take the heat off of them after the death of Rebekka.
BCC had 10 people attend representing User Groups (3 from BQ) vs Cycle's own round table (that had been planned months prior) on Saturday that had 28.
BCC declined to attend our own roundtable despite being specifically invited.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:04 pm

While I see where the BUG's are coming from, I'll happily take an improvement in Highgate hill over nothing. Hell, just removing those parked cars after you turn off from cemetery hill is a welcome sight.

As long as this isn't the only improvement in the near future it's good to see something happening.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Ignoto wrote:While I see where the BUG's are coming from, I'll happily take an improvement in Highgate hill over nothing. Hell, just removing those parked cars after you turn off from cemetery hill is a welcome sight.

As long as this isn't the only improvement in the near future it's good to see something happening.
While there is nothing wrong with upgrading Gladstone Road, this is definitely grandstanding.
What we have an issue with is that BCC is pretending that they are consulting with us on this matter when it is already effectively approved and when BQ has already been consulted and have basically green-lighted it.
At the same time CBD BUG, EAST BUG, Mater BUG and ourselves have been screaming for consultation and action on Annerley Road since 2007.

Be very clear, this "upgrade" to Gladstone Road is paint on the ground and so does very little to protect any cyclist.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm

sumgy wrote:
Ignoto wrote:While I see where the BUG's are coming from, I'll happily take an improvement in Highgate hill over nothing. Hell, just removing those parked cars after you turn off from cemetery hill is a welcome sight.

While there is nothing wrong with upgrading Gladstone Road, this is definitely grandstanding.
What we have an issue with is that BCC is pretending that they are consulting with us on this matter when it is already effectively approved and when BQ has already been consulted and have basically green-lighted it.
At the same time CBD BUG, EAST BUG, Mater BUG and ourselves have been screaming for consultation and action on Annerley Road since 2007.

Be very clear, this "upgrade" to Gladstone Road is paint on the ground and so does very little to protect any cyclist.
Exactly. It was little more than a press release; paint on the ground is pretty much all it added up to. And Annerley Rd/Stanley St is still the most dangerous corner in SEQ.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:45 pm

ValleyForge wrote: Exactly. It was little more than a press release; paint on the ground is pretty much all it added up to. And Annerley Rd/Stanley St is still the most dangerous corner in SEQ.
Agreed.
The combined BUG's along with ourselves (Cycle) will be chasing BCC for further consultation and agreement on the way forward over Annerley Road/Stanley Street intersection.
We are chasing the road plans for this intersection before any future meeting.

spirro

Postby spirro » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:07 am

I'm looking forward to a dedicated bike lane up Gladstone Rd. That hill heading up towards Dornoch Tce as you go round the bend always freaks me out when doing the Riverloop with the traffic.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 pm

spirro wrote:I'm looking forward to a dedicated bike lane up Gladstone Rd. That hill heading up towards Dornoch Tce as you go round the bend always freaks me out when doing the Riverloop with the traffic.
Not really, as others have said, a bikelane up Gladstone Rd is probably a good idea in the wrong place.
Annerley Rd (Dutton Park to South Bris) is crying out for better bikelanes.

The fact that Gladstone Rd is 4 lanes is probably a historical anomaly, when the South-East freeway was built and Ipswich Rd widened many years ago then the need for Gladstone Rd to be 4 lanes ceased to exist.
I reckon that Gladstone Rd at Highgate hill only needs to be 3 lanes, 2 up and one downhill.
Of course that would leave plenty of room for dedicated bikelanes on one or both sides of this road.
Or a nice division in the middle, with some small shrubs.

But this wont assist many commuter cyclists, who are more likely to need to travel along Annerley Road.
You know, some motorists already understand that it is no great hardship to change lanes as they drive up Gladstone road when the riverloopers are in the left lane.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:39 pm

From memory it is going to be 2 inbound and 1 outbound.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:41 pm

elantra wrote:
spirro wrote:I'm looking forward to a dedicated bike lane up Gladstone Rd. That hill heading up towards Dornoch Tce as you go round the bend always freaks me out when doing the Riverloop with the traffic.

You know, some motorists already understand that it is no great hardship to change lanes as they drive up Gladstone road when the riverloopers are in the left lane.
Agree Spiro, and I wish that the bus drivers and the gravel truck with trailers would change lanes, I've had a few close calls right on that corner in recent weeks, it scares the crap out of me.
I prefer to use Annerley rd to head back into Southbank over Gladstone Rd in bust times, at least I'm going down hill and can do almost a similar speed as the traffic
Lisa