Doing it doggie style (barking at magpies)

Doing it doggie style (barking at magpies)

Postby russellgarrard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:27 pm

After having one swoop RIGHT NEXT TO ME and me screaming a few swear words out. Decided on a different tactic...I'd upset the little bastard!

I rode away, did my business, then rode back at a decent pace on purpose. Swooped me again...this time, I knew where the magpie was located, knew it's strike range, so smashed on the brakes on the bicycle, looked up and it's just gone 'ah, whoops, maybe not this time'. (Remember, if it gets too close, duck and face to the ground, don't want your face scratched).

Ride along again, it does a mini-swoop. I figure, what's the natural enemy of the magpie? The domestic dog? Worth a shot...I don't mind looking like an idiot, started barking at it, DAMN THING FRIEKING JUMPED A MILE! Rabid bulldog snarl type of growl. I don't know why, MOST birds (except apparently magpie's in breeding season) love me. I figure, if I can possibly re-train the thing, it might see bicycle's as a dog (hey, whatever works) and stop attacking them. You never know...I'll let you know how I go tomorrow!

Myself, I love animals (and they love me). I definately have 'the force'. I figure, why stop with eyes on my helmet and zip-ties. I'll go one further!
russellgarrard

by BNA » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:36 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:36 pm

Hehehe ...

I'm not convinced your tactic will work .... ;)

We were sitting at a cafe in Freo on Sunday when a couple walking their (leashed) dog passed by on the footpath. Out of nowhere, a wattle bird started attacking their dog, actually flying between the two people to hit the dog on the way through. Went on for a good 100m down the road - breakfast and a show!

The maggies are swooping to drive their enemies away. If you act like a dog, expect to be treated like one.

Now, HEEL boy! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby eliza » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:20 pm

do eyes on the helmet work?
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~James E. Starrs
eliza

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:50 pm

eliza wrote:do eyes on the helmet work?

Most of the time, tho' there's always the odd feathered nutter.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Doing it doggie style (barking at magpies)

Postby eucryphia » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 pm

I believe the male Magpies genitalia swell up to 10 times their normal size during mating season. :shock:

No wonder they attack moving objects.
eucryphia

Postby wombatK » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am

eliza wrote:do eyes on the helmet work?

Works 100% for me. I draw human-size eyes on the back of my silver helmet using a blue whiteboard marker. I'm no artist, but found all local varieties of 'pies pull-out of their swoop about 10 to 15 m away.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby russellgarrard » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:03 pm

eucryphia wrote:I believe the male Magpies genitalia swell up to 10 times their normal size during mating season. :shock:

That explains it all, they aren't dive bombing, they are just falling out of the sky due to the excess weight!
russellgarrard

Postby kristofor » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:52 pm

bendertiger wrote:
eucryphia wrote:I believe the male Magpies genitalia swell up to 10 times their normal size during mating season. :shock:

That explains it all, they aren't dive bombing, they are just falling out of the sky due to the excess weight!

No wonder they're angry!
Failure is just another boundary to success.....but that doesn't mean your getting somewhere :)
kristofor

Return to Queensland