Hill training spots North Brisbane

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:06 pm

hey all,

I'm looking to really improve on the hills over the next bit of my training but am struggling to see a great deal to train on close-by in North Brisbane; North Lakes more specifically. It seems like the closest best-bet really is Mt.Mee but I have to say the idea of Dayboro rd in 100km/hr traffic doesn't sit all that great with me. I guess I could chuck the bike on the racks and park at the bottom of Mt.mee road but that a bit of a pain with the drive and even driving Mt.mee rd on the weekend there's a fair chunk of it with no shoulder.

Is there anyone from out this area who has any other sneaky little hills they have found good to train on or do hill repeats/intervals on or something? The only thing that springs to mind other then HTFU is there is a couple either side of dayboro rd around lake kurongabowah heading up to north pine dam catchment area. These only take a minute or two to climb though so might be next to useless anyway.

If there's any other ideas anyone could suggest would be good or even if its a matter of HTFU and hit mt.mee maybe there's someone else in the same boat that would like to have a crack at it and use a safety in numbers approach sometime.

Cheers
Matt

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Dayboro Road is not bad traffic wise but the surface is dead. Mt Mee is a great climb with a reasonable and quite constant grade.

Try:
Clear Mountain Road
Eatons Crossing Road
Wynn Road
Old Samsonvale Road, Closeburn

Can all be accessed from Kurwongbah via Youngs Crossing Road.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Lukeyboy

Re: Hill training spots North Brisbane

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Depending on how you plan on getting there can change what you might want to do ie parking at Samford and then riding up Camp Mountain/Bunya/Eatons Crossing Road for time constraints etc.

Obvious areas are Clear Mountain and the surrounds. Cedar Creek and some of the side roads. It heads out to approx the same distance as the the restaurant on top of Mt Glorious but you ride in the valley below. Some side roads head up parts of the side of the hill etc. Bunya has lots of elevation gain. Even out to the north of Samford Valley there are some good challenging roads. Camp Mountain obviously.

To the north is Mt Mee via Campbells Pocket road. Out near Rocksberg etc.

Some rough ideas on the elevation of various areas.
http://www.strava.com/activities/192467141/analysis
http://www.strava.com/activities/93111819/analysis
http://www.strava.com/activities/179527071/analysis
http://www.strava.com/activities/174618287/analysis

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:44 pm

The little pocket around Clear Mountain is quiet and has some quite evil climbs - Lochinvar especially. We've added it to our Brisbane - Goat Track - Nebo - Brisbane loop.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:55 pm

ValleyForge wrote:The little pocket around Clear Mountain is quiet and has some quite evil climbs - Lochinvar especially. We've added it to our Brisbane - Goat Track - Nebo - Brisbane loop.

I think you mean Camp Mountain when you're talking Lochinvar Rd, but we get the idea anyway. Both Clear, and Camp Mtns have a couple of little pinchy bits.

But that's a good thing!! :D

elwyn188

Postby elwyn188 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:29 pm

Hey Matt,
I live in north lakes and love mt mee for hill repeats but although I've never had a problem I am always a little worried about dayboro rd so if your keen for the safety in numbers theory send me txt on 0439945100 and I'd be keen to head out there.

Orion

Postby Orion » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Campbells Pocket Rd in Wamuran (west of Caboolture) is good too. I've seen a number of cyclists use this road for hill training. It's sort of a "back way" to Mount Mee. Precious little shoulder to speak of but it's a quiet road, especially early morning. The climb from Basin Rd to Jackson Rd is about 2.5km with a brief downhill thrown in. After that it's a mix of up & down to Mount Mee.

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:12 pm

thanks guys-gives me something to look at. that clear mountain/cedar creek area looks like it might be doable from where i am......hows the traffic/shoulder on youngs crossing/samsonvale and winn roads? should help with the new crossing over the highway bike laned out of north lakes (plantation road).

elwynn - ill hit you up in the new year- i may hold you back though as there's a reason i want to do more hills- i suck at climbing.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:44 am

No shoulder on winn road but it's very quiet. Usually you might get two or three cars overtake you along the length of the whole road. Samsonvale Road between Cedar Creek and Winn Road is pretty good. If you want hills and no cars take Old Mt Samson Road (a few hundred meters from Winn Road and comes a few hundred meters out from the Cedar Creek turn off).

Dean6950

Postby Dean6950 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Do you own a MTB? I love road riding, but you'll never get the extended, steep climbs that are found in the Mt Mee Forest and Brisbane Forest Park. No motorised traffic in the BFP and have had no issues with anyone in Mt Mee. Just long, scenic, steep tranquility.

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:54 pm

no i dont dean but its on the list (a rather long one) for a bit of cross training at some stage

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:57 pm

elwyn188 - i tried that number and double checked it but it went to someone named mili in box hill.....

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:11 pm

You could always do Peachester from Woodford side to Beewah an then return to the top of Peachester and turn off to Bellthorpe and return. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

elwyn188

Postby elwyn188 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:54 am

Sorry mate, my number is 0407 945100. :oops: