New to Brisbane -- Where to Ride?

Mark V

New to Brisbane -- Where to Ride?

Postby Mark V » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:23 pm

As the subject line says, I'm moving to Brisbane (St Lucia) from Melbourne via Adelaide via Toowoomba at the end of January. Looking for group rides and ideas in general where to ride.

yanjarra

Re: New to Brisbane -- Where to Ride?

Postby yanjarra » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:58 am

I'm on the other side of Brisbane so someone else may be able to comment better but I think in that area you will have pretty good access to the riverloop and mount cootha for a start which are two of brisbane's most iconic rides. I think there's a path that heads off down the centenary highway around mt.cootha also and i rekon there would be a decent way of getting across to Arana Hills type area and joining the kedron brook bikeway which can run you as far out as Nudgee beach and off through the wetlands up to scarborough. Sure theres plenty of clubs and bike shops over that way which will run group rides.

coldst

Postby coldst » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Have a look at Strava Global heatmap to see where other riders ride.

The river loop is a staple ride which runs through St Lucia. Mt Cootha as mentioned is a short steep hill which can be done in a loop from the front(easier) or back(harder). Longer rides to Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious, Samford, Cleveland, Mt Cotton, over the gateway bridge, to Nudgee or Redcliffe are all popular.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:27 pm

coldst wrote:Have a look at Strava Global heatmap to see where other riders ride.

The river loop is a staple ride which runs through St Lucia. Mt Cootha as mentioned is a short steep hill which can be done in a loop from the front(easier) or back(harder). Longer rides to Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious, Samford, Cleveland, Mt Cotton, over the gateway bridge, to Nudgee or Redcliffe are all popular.

The Strava heatmap is really very interesting, some epic routes there, but some of them strictly MTB or Audax stuff.
In metro area, Mt. Gravatt is quite a fun destination, almost as popular as Mt Coottha, the climb is easier but the descent is somewhat hairy.
There is a moderately good dedicated cycleway from Goodwill bridge to the suburb of Holland Park, which gets you most of the way from the CBD to Mt. Gravatt.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:06 pm

So many ride opportunities if you live in St Lucia. Riverloops, Half Loops, Western Loops, Coot-tha, out to Brookfield, up Nebo and Glorious. All very close by.

To get started, every Tuesday and Thursday there'll be groups at 5.30 opposite the Regatta usually doing a Riverloop or western loop. Meet some people then tag on to more rides from there.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:17 pm

I'll jump on here later and throw you a heap of maps for all these routes that people have listed, posting here so i don't forget to.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:15 pm

mmc22 wrote:So many ride opportunities if you live in St Lucia. Riverloops, Half Loops, Western Loops, Coot-tha, out to Brookfield, up Nebo and Glorious. All very close by.

To get started, every Tuesday and Thursday there'll be groups at 5.30 opposite the Regatta usually doing a Riverloop or western loop. Meet some people then tag on to more rides from there.

Or earlier. You might get a surprise by the early starts - we roll out at 4:45 all year. Given the weather, it is getting pretty warm by 7am so Brisbane riders are early risers.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Mark V wrote:As the subject line says, I'm moving to Brisbane (St Lucia) from Melbourne via Adelaide via Toowoomba at the end of January. Looking for group rides and ideas in general where to ride.

Hi Mark,

Let me know what sort of group ride ur looking for (fast/social/flat/long) and I'll give you some options for any given day.

Damien