Brissie to Bay 2015

spirro

Brissie to Bay 2015

Postby spirro » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm thinking about doing the Brissie to Bay this year (100km). Never done it before. The only cycling charity ride I've participated in is the Brisbane to Gold Coast. I'm keen to try another one or two this year in addition to the Bris to Gold Coast.

What's this one like? Is it well organised and worth doing?

http://www.brissietothebay.com.au/

Cheers
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

coldst

Re: Brissie to Bay 2015

Postby coldst » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:10 pm

I did the 100km last year, it was pretty well organised I thought. Picked up my rider kit on the morning of and then they let riders start in waves and asked riders roughly order themselves by speed with the fastest at the front.

The route is okay, pretty much flat and scenic when you are near the bay but part of the second half puts riders on some busy roads like Lytton road.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:34 pm

Agree with Coldst although it's been a year or two since I last entered however I'm already in for this year's event. IMHO you need to be a bit more careful toward the end of this ride as you will catch other groups with less abilities, you just need to be mindful of those around you, relax and enjoy.
This ride Cycle of Giving is coming up on the 1st March, something different if you fancy a train ride as well. Once again a great cause. If you want some company on either ride, let us know :wink:
Waz
Wazza

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 am

Same as above

Cycle of giving is a nice ride, less crowded but hopefully no head wind this year.
They have changed the course slightly for the brissie to bay but as mentioned the return leg from wynnum you are mixing it with 50km riders and the last few km you are mixing it with everyone... give a lot of room when passing.

I am doing both this year once again, a sucker for these rides
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:45 am

Cheers guys. I'll take a look at both rides
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm a bit peeved by the B2B ride. I signed up our family for a combination of the 25km & 50km rides with a plan to ride with another family. Annoyingly, after taking my money, it seems my kids are below the minimum age for the rides. Then why do you need to punch in their DOB when you enter them?

Anyway we're all riding. Combination of distances - logistic nightmare.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:17 pm

I did the B2B 100km last year and the 50km the year before, booked in for the 100 again this year. Nice ride once the riders had spread out a bit. I agree with all the comments above, however I didn't find any issues with the amount of traffic on the roads used, but then I regularly ride Beaudesert Road through Rocklea...

The run back from the Wynnum to Sth Bne was pleasant, lots of good will.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed May 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Just looked at this years 100km route. No rest stop between Cleveland and Sth BNE. Lots of major roads this year too. The good news is that we won't be mixing with the 50 & 25km riders till Morningside.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:19 am

I have been given an entry by a friend who can longer ride so will be doing the 100km ride with some work colleagues. Agree with the above sentiment - having the 100, 50 and 20km riders all come together at the end is a recipe for disaster.

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu May 14, 2015 2:15 pm

The 100km riders (who are generally more experienced & fitter) really need to be the ones who pull their heads in a bit on these rides.

It is very clear that there is a huge proportion of 'once-a-year' type, non-lycra wearers in these events, and they simply aren't used to riding in large groups. Its hardly surprising that they neglect 'cycling ettiquette', especially at the back-end of their big 'once-a-year' effort nearing the finish.

Then the 100km pelotons come rumbling through. And they ride along calling 'on your right' and expecting some sort of orderly shift out of the way - but are shocked when what they actually encounter is a swarm of uncontrolled cyclists...

I think the organisers have done the right thing by making the 'junction' where the 100km riders rejoin much later in the ride. But the 100km riders have to remember that this is a big community fun event - not a bunch ride amongst fellow riders (and definitely not a race!), and ride the final kilometres accordingly. If you are unwilling to do that, then this sort of event isn't for you...

I've skipped this sort of event for many years for that very reason - I'd rather do a hard bunch ride than carefully weave my way around once-a-year riders. But am entering the 50km this year tro cruise around with my wife as she does her once-a-year 'big effort'...

Just to be clear - not having a crack at anyone here. Just saying where I think the responsibility lies with these types of events... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Abby wrote:The 100km riders (who are generally more experienced & fitter) really need to be the ones who pull their heads in a bit on these rides.

It is very clear that there is a huge proportion of 'once-a-year' type, non-lycra wearers in these events, and they simply aren't used to riding in large groups. Its hardly surprising that they neglect 'cycling ettiquette', especially at the back-end of their big 'once-a-year' effort nearing the finish.

Then the 100km pelotons come rumbling through. And they ride along calling 'on your right' and expecting some sort of orderly shift out of the way - but are shocked when what they actually encounter is a swarm of uncontrolled cyclists...

I think the organisers have done the right thing by making the 'junction' where the 100km riders rejoin much later in the ride. But the 100km riders have to remember that this is a big community fun event - not a bunch ride amongst fellow riders (and definitely not a race!), and ride the final kilometres accordingly. If you are unwilling to do that, then this sort of event isn't for you...

I've skipped this sort of event for many years for that very reason - I'd rather do a hard bunch ride than carefully weave my way around once-a-year riders. But am entering the 50km this year tro cruise around with my wife as she does her once-a-year 'big effort'...

Just to be clear - not having a crack at anyone here. Just saying where I think the responsibility lies with these types of events... :-)

Agree with the sentiment - care should be taken by all parties and I think generally is. However, where I have had problems in prior years is the last few short sharp hills in Wolloongabba/West End where inexperienced riders often swerve across the road or simply stop and get off with no warning as they tire out. While I understand that it is inevitable that riders of a very broad range of abilities will be on the course together, I think this is one aspect of the course that I think should be looked at.

Just another reason to slow down a touch and make sure you pay attention!

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 14, 2015 3:53 pm

As I see it, these rides are best left to the once a year fun riders.
Experienced riders can ride to the bay any weekend of the year. If it's to support the charity just make a direct donation to MS Queensland.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu May 14, 2015 6:23 pm

Last year my sister showed up at Wellington Point, having not seen here for a few months, I was having a great catch up. What only seemed like a few minutes later, I looked around and most other riders had gone.

Got on my way and came in to Sth BNE at lunch time, very few annual riders (or regulars for that matter) left on the road. I had a pleasant ride back.

My tip, take your time, drink coffee and chat, then return behind the crowd.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon May 18, 2015 1:28 pm

My advice is sit behind the lead car, you then have very few issues the entire ride

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue May 19, 2015 12:52 pm

My advice is sit behind Dimma, then you can admire his golden bike and sweet Pedal Mafia socks. :D

(Have I earnt a free pair of socks yet Dimma?)

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue May 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Mate Pedal Mafia Season 3 should drop over the w/end just use promo code "Damo" at checkout.
Best I can do for now.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue May 19, 2015 3:08 pm

RobM wrote:My advice is sit behind Dimma, then you can admire his golden bike and sweet Pedal Mafia socks. :D

(Have I earnt a free pair of socks yet Dimma?)

Lol was about to say the same, just get on the Dimma train with his boys, dont pull a turn, then launch your attack in the hills of South Brisbane at the 98k mark... oh hang on this isn't a MastersB race is it?

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Dimma wrote:Mate Pedal Mafia Season 3 should drop over the w/end just use promo code "Damo" at checkout.
Best I can do for now.

At the risk of sounding ignorant (or as a potential customer if you prefer), what is 'Pedal Mafia'?

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue May 19, 2015 4:39 pm

http://pedalmafia.com.au/

Cycle clothing company.

Urban legend says their clothing is made from cotton aged in Belgian outhouses, hand spun by ex-pros on Wahoo Kickrs and dyed with the blood & tears of Eddy Merkx.

But what do I know, I'm just a guy trying to score free socks.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 am

RobM wrote:http://pedalmafia.com.au/

Cycle clothing company.

Urban legend says their clothing is made from cotton aged in Belgian outhouses, hand spun by ex-pros on Wahoo Kickrs and dyed with the blood & tears of Eddy Merkx.

But what do I know, I'm just a guy trying to score free socks.

Ahh very nice :D

I don't think anyone can blame you for trying to score free socks!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Just looking at the new course and they have picked a few roads that as a local I avoid like the plague.
Tilley Rd gets a bit of traffic, had a crap surface, is narrow and no shoulder and anywhere near Capalaba shopping centre is a nightmare.. Even in a car.. Lots of traffic and a lot of inconsiderate drivers
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:52 pm

cancan64 wrote:Just looking at the new course and they have picked a few roads that as a local I avoid like the plague.
Tilley Rd gets a bit of traffic, had a crap surface, is narrow and no shoulder and anywhere near Capalaba shopping centre is a nightmare.. Even in a car.. Lots of traffic and a lot of inconsiderate drivers

Yes it will be interesting.

I heard several complaints on the Cycling of Giving ride from people upset with making a right turn at the roundabout on Murphy rd Chermside. That's a walk in the park compared with Boundary/Duncan/Redland Bay rds roundabout. Lots of main roads this year too.

Also after Cleveland, no rest stops, all the climbing is in this last leg (40km) back to Sth Bne.

Should still be fun [emoji3]
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:15 pm

I had no problems with the cycle of giving ride outside all the traffic light near the end killed the average speed... But will still be a good ride just some of the not so confident riders may have Few moments

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Last year the traffic lights were bad, probably stopped at at least 5 which bumped the average way down to 35.6
Reason I haven't committed to this year or even looked at the new course.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:59 am

cancan64 wrote:I had no problems with the cycle of giving ride outside all the traffic light near the end killed the average speed... But will still be a good ride just some of the not so confident riders may have Few moments

Yes, I quite enjoyed it, but agree about the traffic lights, I got every one along Beams Rd. I was surprised to hear complaints RE busy roads and that roundabout. Which is why I mentioned it after reviewing the B2B.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram