Sir Samuel Griffiths Rd Mount Coot-tha improvement

jasonc

Sir Samuel Griffiths Rd Mount Coot-tha improvement

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:15 pm

If you had the opportunity to influence changes to Sir Samuel Griffiths Drive between Simpsons Rd and the lookout, what changes would you like to see?

Ignoto

Re: Sir Samuel Griffiths Rd Mount Coot-tha improvement

Postby Ignoto » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Resurfacing of the tarmac is definitely needed. I think it's just after the Channel 9 studio, there's a nasty set of pot holes around a corner. Then on the edges around the road are falling away and create problematic pot holes.

Outside of having some kind of lighting on the corners, I can't think of too much that can be done. As widening the road isn't going to happen, nor are bike lanes a proper solution for it. It's the down and up parts of Mt Cootha that need greater focus and energy spent on them.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:31 pm

the lighting is a great idea. and yes, resurfacing and fixing the edge degradation had already been thought of

awesome. keep em coming

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:31 pm

You know the T junction at the bottom there (Simpson's Rd and Sir Samuel Griffiths Rd) is pretty dodgy, but i doubt that there is much that can be done to make it safer.

On a related note, my wish would be that with the finish of the Legacy roadworks carpark, the old front descent can be re-opened to cyclists and vehicles like it was before 2 years ago.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 pm

I believe that's the plan elantra - it will have a footpath down one side
i will confirm that

richbee

Postby richbee » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:17 pm

No improvements to Coot-Tha back except resurfacing. The potholes aren't doing much for maintaining rhythm on the way up.
Making it one way won't really be an improvement. Car's already give enough space when passing cyclists climbing Coot-Tha, I think the "wobble" factor probably has more to do with that than passing distance laws, and on the descent most bikes are faster than cars anyway.

Re-opening the old scenic drive on the front can't come soon enough.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:37 pm

A turn-around or rest point at the top of the back climb would be helpful. Riders can pull off and wait/recover there and let the vehicles drive on.
At the moment pull off into the gravel or people stop on the road. I assume drivers probably find that annoying.

How sweet would it be if they did some stylish road paint ala the Muro di Sormano climb in Italy.
It would turn a simple road into a popular photo op and talking point. BCC could take public suggestions on what to write etc.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:27 pm

RobM wrote:A turn-around or rest point at the top of the back climb would be helpful. Riders can pull off and wait/recover there and let the vehicles drive on.
At the moment pull off into the gravel or people stop on the road. I assume drivers probably find that annoying. (rest of content edited)
Absolutely Rob !
At the top of the back climb where the crest is located, inevitably people congregate.
Not a great place to do so, because it is narrow and the forward visibility is reduced because it is the crest!
I'm sure you know what i am referring to, and sometimes there is little more than a cars width of unobstructed roadway here, which is hairy if you are proceeding over the crest on a bike or in a car, and someone is doing the same from the other direction.
Unfortunately the Australian mentality now seems to be that action is only taken when an environment is proven to be dangerous by significant rate of "accidents"

In the old days change could sometimes be accomplished if enough people put their heads together and said "there is an obvious potential for accident here, let's do something about it"

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:01 pm

What's the chances of getting a street sweeper there once a week? This morning I couldn't really move over to the left to give cars more room because of all the sticks etc. While the cars were patient this morning, it's the motorcyclists and impatient drivers on the weekend that cause issues.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:50 pm

RobM wrote:A turn-around or rest point at the top of the back climb would be helpful. Riders can pull off and wait/recover there and let the vehicles drive on.
You mean like the spot 10 meters past the "top"? It amazes me how "lazy" someone can be after climbing a mountain.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:59 pm

bah - I use the one that's about 50m past the top. I like the street sweeper idea. the "bike lanes" are always covered in debris

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:28 pm

Bah77 wrote:
You mean like the spot 10 meters past the "top"? It amazes me how "lazy" someone can be after climbing a mountain.

Like I suggested, a small paved rest area to the left would be useful for some riders.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:44 am

And like i said there is one, sorry if its closer to 50 meters like Jason said.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:06 pm

It surprises me how many people stop dead at the top, the parking spot is not that far, its downhill and gives your legs a little bit of chance to unwind. I also think there is a water tap there
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

dzzmzz

Postby dzzmzz » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:56 pm

richbee wrote:No improvements to Coot-Tha back except resurfacing. The potholes aren't doing much for maintaining rhythm on the way up.
Re-opening the old scenic drive on the front can't come soon enough.
Can someone explain to me why it's closed?
=========================
2009 Specialized Tricross
2004 Cannondale CAAD4
2013 Giant Trinity Composite

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:09 pm

it was closed to allow legacy way workers to use it as a car park

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:12 pm

jasonc wrote:it was closed to allow legacy way workers to use it as a car park
And now that that project is completed, presumably there is no need for it to remain closed :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:58 pm

I was talking to a bloke I know who said he used it yesterday so possibly open?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:44 pm

Bah77 wrote:
Mountain?? What mountain??

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:55 pm

RobM wrote:
Bah77 wrote:

Like I suggested, a small paved rest area to the left would be useful for some riders.
Something like this would be fantastic.