racq warns cyclists to be careful

racq warns cyclists to be careful

Postby winona_rider » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:04 pm

briz times story

is the RACQ worried we might get speeding tickets?
shouldn't EVERYONE be careful?
User avatar
winona_rider
 
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:17 pm

BNA
 

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:17 pm

I think it's just the journalists taking his quote out of context. The story is linked to the 2000 bikes which will be for hire next year and how the speed limits will be changed to help encourage people to use those bikes.

My guess is he answered the question with much more than we've been shown. Perhaps he said something like "The reduced speed limits will help encourage people to ride, but they are still going to have to take responsibility for their own actions in this streetscape. Some drivers may need time to comprehend the new speed limits. Until then, the riders would be wise to keep their wits about them."

Maybe I'm just being too accommodating though. ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
User avatar
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Spearwood, 9km SE of Fremantle, WA

Postby beauyboy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:32 pm

WELL would that be such a bad thing. I wish the cops would book more cyclists for running red lights.

We have been calling for a 40kmph limit for years. Just as long as it is enforced on both cyclists, motorists and Buses.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
User avatar
beauyboy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: New Farm, Brisbane

Postby winona_rider » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:46 pm

yeah - but it just seems like the RACQ is going "cyclists: it's your fault we drivers have to slow down." whereas it's more likely that pedestrian collisions have more to do with the 40km/hr policy change.
i realise the RACQ could have been asked about the bike loan scheme.... but they are a car lobby group and they have their agenda which i am sure you are familiar with
User avatar
winona_rider
 
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Max » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Isn't the city already a 50 zone? If that's so, and people are still doing 60, what makes them think that changing it to 40 will make a difference?

On the other hand, if it's not already a 50 zone.. just ignore everything I just said :)

Max
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:29 pm

winona_rider wrote:yeah - but it just seems like the RACQ is going "cyclists: it's your fault we drivers have to slow down." whereas it's more likely that pedestrian collisions have more to do with the 40km/hr policy change.
i realise the RACQ could have been asked about the bike loan scheme.... but they are a car lobby group and they have their agenda which i am sure you are familiar with

Well someone's in the shite then. The headline reads

"RACQ backs 40kmh CBD speed limit"

Are you sure you're not jumping at shadows here? I'm not over there so I don't know the politics, but reading the story on face value and allowing for incompetent journalism/editorialising, it looks like the RACQ are happy to reduce car traffic in the CBD.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
User avatar
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Spearwood, 9km SE of Fremantle, WA

Postby deks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Max wrote:Isn't the city already a 50 zone? If that's so, and people are still doing 60, what makes them think that changing it to 40 will make a difference?

On the other hand, if it's not already a 50 zone.. just ignore everything I just said :)

Max


Well i know when i drive, i usually sit about 8-10km's over the speed limit (not in the city) and thats usually because im just sitting behind the guy infront of me and thats what he is doing. But when it exceeds the 10km/h over I dont go anymore.
User avatar
deks
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: South East Brisbane

Postby winona_rider » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
winona_rider wrote:yeah - but it just seems like the RACQ is going "cyclists: it's your fault we drivers have to slow down." whereas it's more likely that pedestrian collisions have more to do with the 40km/hr policy change.
i realise the RACQ could have been asked about the bike loan scheme.... but they are a car lobby group and they have their agenda which i am sure you are familiar with

Well someone's in the shite then. The headline reads

"RACQ backs 40kmh CBD speed limit"

Are you sure you're not jumping at shadows here? I'm not over there so I don't know the politics, but reading the story on face value and allowing for incompetent journalism/editorialising, it looks like the RACQ are happy to reduce car traffic in the CBD.

Cheers,
Graeme


there's a bunch of traffic related stuff happenin in the CBD atm.
so yeah - you are a bit out of the loop.
there's an intersection on Queen st - the very centre of our CBD - that has a terrible ped fatality rate.
so the council has decided to close traffic off in that section...
so in that context i think the RACQ are reacting as well.

plus car lobby groups like perpetuating the myth that cycling is dangerous cause they would prefer bikes not be on roads
User avatar
winona_rider
 
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Max » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:54 am

deks wrote:Well i know when i drive, i usually sit about 8-10km's over the speed limit (not in the city) and thats usually because im just sitting behind the guy infront of me and thats what he is doing. But when it exceeds the 10km/h over I dont go anymore.


I've tried very hard not to knee-jerk react to this, but I just can't stop myself.

The tried and true: So if the motorist in front of you jumped off a cliff, would you do that too? Alternatively, if the motorist in front of you clipped a cyclist with his side mirror, would you do that too?

The pretty obvious: You do realise you are part of the motoring community that makes the road unsafe for cyclists (a group you're also a part of), right? And for everyone else too?

The duhhhh: Why not over 10Kph? In for a penny, in for a pound? Why not 15? 20? 50? What's stopping you? Is it because you know it's against the law and likely to get you a bigger fine, should you actually be caught? Is it because there's a tiny little part of you that realises you're being unsafe?

:evil:
Max
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby kristofor » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:45 am

deks wrote:Well i know when i drive, i usually sit about 8-10km's over the speed limit (not in the city) and thats usually because im just sitting behind the guy infront of me and thats what he is doing. But when it exceeds the 10km/h over I dont go anymore.


You realise you can get fined at 10% over right? Rarely under that, but You should not be thinking of this as the real speed limit.

Personally I sit on the limit. It's very occasional if I ever go over, and this is usually by accident that I would. This is because I am not really in a hurry to get anywhere. I think everyone needs to ask themselves Why the Rush?? Why are we all in so much of a hurry in our cars?

Too many people die on the roads as it is let alone me making it more dangerous for other cars and much more dangerous for cyclists.
Failure is just another boundary to success.....but that doesn't mean your getting somewhere :)
User avatar
kristofor
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby beauyboy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:08 am

Deks i have ask this very simple question with you doing over the speed limit cos the guy in front is.

"WHOS THE BIGGER FOOL? THE FOOL OR THE ONE FOLLOWING THE FOOL?"

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
User avatar
beauyboy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: New Farm, Brisbane


Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers