bicycles allowed on Ipswich Mwy?

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:28 pm

What is the law regarding bicycles on Ipswich Mwy? If they are banned, at what point exactly does this begin and where do you have to exit the Warrego Hwy before it turns into the Ipswich Mwy? I would be returning from Marburg, having gone out from Brisbane via Moggill Rd and Mt Crosby. Can you go a bit further to Raceview before taking a parallel service road or something? Just driving a car along there, there are no signs banning bicycles actually ON the roadway itself, although when I took the Wacol exit (in my car) I saw a large sign on the entrance road banning bicycles. I'm not entirely sure if it's just from Wacol onwards or for the entire length. Basic Googling is not revealing much information!

TheShadow

Re: bicycles allowed on Ipswich Mwy?

Postby TheShadow » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Okay, they are not allowed. Might just point out that the major western mwy in Sydney (toll road?) DOES have it's shoulder designated and marked as a bikelane. I've ridden it some years ago. It's very long. 30-40km? It goes right to the city and I almost bonked on the way home, that's how long it is. I did it on a weekend, so can't tell you what the pollution would be like on a weekday. It could be severe. I don't know. But at least you CAN do it if you want on a weekend.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:01 am

most motorways in NSW permit cyclists in the shoulder, with a couple of exceptions. The M1 between Mooney Mooney & Kariong Requires you to exit to the Old Pacific Hwy. Personally I would exit sooner, as the road shoulder vanishes just before the Hawkesbury River bridge, leaving you hanging out in a 110km/h lane to cross the bridge before the mandatory exit for cyclists. The new M15 Hunter Expressway has a nice wide cycle lane shoulder.
The M1 southbound (the old F6) also prohibits cyclists, as does the Gore Hill Fwy heading over to the Harbour Bridge and Tunnel (actually, you can ride the shoulder up towards Willoughby, then exit, then get back on at the bus overlay to get to Nth Syd, but you can't ride it at all heading North.

The M2/M7/M5 Lets you ride the shoulder, and the M7 also has a 38km uninterrupted shared path along the full length.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Have done the Nebo-Glorious-Fernvale loop and come back to town running parallel to the motorway. And got hopelessly lost (thanks outdated maps). Did about 5km on the motorway and saw no signs but it was madness on the shoulder.

Maybe check Strava heat maps.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:59 pm

Whether or not it is allowed, there is no way in hell I'd be riding on the Ippy motorway. There are service roads running alongside virtually the whole way, no need to risk it.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:09 pm

The problem would be getting across the exits while traffic is wanting to exit. One of the exits (Logan?) is a double lane and veers off gradually from way back. That would be particularly difficult to deal with. The heavier the traffic, the worse this would be. From that perspective alone, it's no good at all for cyclists.

Early on a Sunday it would not be such a huge deal. The shoulder itself is huge. I wouldn't have a problem with that. But from what little I know, it seems like it's still a dangerous road even for cars, with a relatively high crash rate even since the upgrade.

It's all academic though. If it's not legal, I'm not going there.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:33 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Whether or not it is allowed, there is no way in hell I'd be riding on the Ippy motorway. There are service roads running alongside virtually the whole way, no need to risk it.

About 23 years ago i set out to ride from Toowoomba to Brisbane along the edge of the Highway.
The descent of the T'ba range was the highlight.

Then the "old" road Helidon-Grantham-Gatton.
Then the motorway heading east from Gatton, towards Ipswich/Brisbane etc.

By the time i got to Blacksoil, i had worked out that this journey was neither safe nor enjoyable so i found a back road into Ipswich and completed my journey by train.
I think it would be even less pleasant along the Warrego highway these days, if that is possible. :(
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:11 am

Rather than worrying if it is legal or not, just exit at Dinmore and take the service roads instead. Even better, take Pine Mt, and run through Ipswich. This saves you from crossing the Bremer at Dinmore where the bridge has no shoulder, and no prior visibility to enable the trucks to change lanes. (Not trying to start any wars here, just stating facts).

For once I agree with @elantra, as I drive the Warrego everyday (in a Truck and Dog) I wouldn't go near it with on a bike. I see cyclists (and I give them the lane when passing) using it, but I feel that it wouldn't be at all enjoyable to ride it. If you were heading to/from Toowoomba then maybe it's The best option in parts, but it doesn't make ideal.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:55 am

@theshadow, to answer your query I've paid particular attention to the signage this morning. East bound on the Warrego bicycles (peds, tractors, etc) are not permitted past the Pine Mountain Rd exit at the eastern end of Blacksoil. Also in view of this and your intended route, I jumped off at the Mt Crosby exit and popped over to the western on ramp to check the sign there. No bike west bound either. I'd assume that from Pine Mt Rd westbound would be permitted.

So officially Warrego hwy east of Blacksoil through to the Ippy at Oxley is out of bounds... East of Oxley/Blunder Rds seems to be permitted as the pedestrian and bicycles part of the signs has been covered over?? You won't see me riding along there though.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks Pirate Pete. I had sort of settled on using Mt Crosby going and coming back. That seemed the reasonable thing to do. I'm really not keen on going near N-Ipswich to get further West on the Warrego. I do not want any intersections or houses or anything like that near me where stupid things happen. I'm totally happy with trucks passing 1m or so to the right of me. They've NEVER given me any trouble. That's the whole purpose of doing that ride, for me, to get away from vehicles coming at you from every direction.

I think I have used Pine Mountain coming back once or twice, and got a bit lost. I'm really surprised going that far is necessaary. I might settle for doing Nebo Samford instead. There doesn't seem to be any intention to remove cyclists from that just yet.

Or I am considering just getting a gym membership. No, I'm NOT joking. The local one is very nice, has a lot of gear, including expensive spin bikes...and there is no legal contest every time you go anywhere at all. I'm sure if i did that it would make a lot of people very happy. With *perhaps* the exception of the actual climb of Nebo-Glorious, there is nowhere you can now go to 'get away from it all'. If anything, it's the opposite. Someone tell me I'm wrong, but I think there is a ridiculous amount of pressure to basically get bikes off the road and onto bikeways....and that is not cycling, to me.