Toowoomba - What's Going On?

ValleyForge

Toowoomba - What's Going On?

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:38 pm

I did a ride up & down the Toowoomba range during the week. Glorious weather. Did a north to south ride through town as part of the loop and was amazed I didn't see one bike. Not one person riding.

Given there was almost no wind, not a cloud in the sky and a pleasant 17 degrees at lunchtime, I wonder if I was missing something.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

PiratePete

Re: Toowoomba - What's Going On?

Postby PiratePete » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:14 am

I've noticed the numbers way down on the river loop in BNE this week too. I assume that we 'feel' winter is here and it's too cold outside...

I'm kinda enjoying having less traffic on my predawn rides. [emoji1]
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 am

PiratePete wrote:I've noticed the numbers way down on the river loop in BNE this week too. I assume that we 'feel' winter is here and it's too cold outside...

I'm kinda enjoying having less traffic on my predawn rides. [emoji1]

That is normal for the river ride in winter. Numbers will pick up as the Noosa Tri approaches.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:15 am

Regards the River loop - the drop off is quite time specific. We ride all through winter at 4:45 or 5am and there's minimal change. But the loop traffic drop off is really noticeable when we finish up. I guess if you're kicking off early you are committed or demented; I'd you start at 6 or 7 you aren't certifiable.

But there was no one riding in Toowoomba. On a glorious day. I'll do that loop more often in that case, apart from the tool in the Hilux on the descent.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:27 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Regards the River loop - the drop off is quite time specific. We ride all through winter at 4:45 or 5am and there's minimal change. But the loop traffic drop off is really noticeable when we finish up. I guess if you're kicking off early you are committed or demented; I'd you start at 6 or 7 you aren't certifiable.

But there was no one riding in Toowoomba. On a glorious day. I'll do that loop more often in that case, apart from the tool in the Hilux on the descent.

I'm usually out by just after 5, wife just says I'm crazy.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:44 pm

PiratePete wrote:I'm usually out by just after 5, wife just says I'm crazy.

Just the normal time to leave for a river ride. :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:26 pm

I hate it when I'm coming down the Range in the B-double and see the bright lights coming behind me and then the shwosh of cyclists flashing past me. :( :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:01 pm

That reminds me, does anyone have a copy of the video of some local cyclists bombing down the range that was on youtube a while back? I haven't been able to find it for a year or two, but it was very well filmed and some gutsy riding.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

coyote

Postby coyote » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:20 am

ldrcycles wrote:That reminds me, does anyone have a copy of the video of some local cyclists bombing down the range that was on youtube a while back? I haven't been able to find it for a year or two, but it was very well filmed and some gutsy riding.

I would say it got removed as it was done at illegal speeds and could have been used to charge the riders.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:35 am

ldrcycles wrote:That reminds me, does anyone have a copy of the video of some local cyclists bombing down the range that was on youtube a while back? I haven't been able to find it for a year or two, but it was very well filmed and some gutsy riding.

Ok, so it's not Toowoomba....but these guys have some huge kahunas!

http://youtu.be/iO7_Fq56g2c
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:15 pm

queequeg wrote:
Ok, so it's not Toowoomba....but these guys have some huge kahunas!

http://youtu.be/iO7_Fq56g2c

I've seen that one before, awesome stuff! If nothing else, just the fact he was confident enough to attach his camera to the back of the truck! :)

coyote wrote:

I would say it got removed as it was done at illegal speeds and could have been used to charge the riders.

Ahh, makes sense. Shame, it was a nice vid.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 am

Plenty of riders in Toowoomba (heaps). You were looking in the wrong spot and at the wrong time of day.
Cannondale Supersix Evo
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

Cul

Postby Cul » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:25 pm

I stumbled across this thread and was hoping for a little help as we are (very) likely to relocate to the Toowoomba region in early October.

I see there are 3 CA affiliated clubs in town and a lot of the races are run as combines just wondering if there is a better club than others in terms of not only racing, but social aspects as well. I am coming from Geelong, Vic which is similar in size to Toowoomba while our club is reasonably active racing calendar it’s not particularly social… I see BLR and HRCC do midweek and weekend rides as listed on their websites but TCC’s is quite out of date, are these rides open to whomever rolls up? Are there other smash fests getting around?

Also wondering what the level of racing is like relative to Brisbane / Gold Coast? Down here I during summer I am racing Criterium and Kermesse in Club A / Mas A, In the city I’m a solid B Grade performer at SKCC (think bunches of 50+, and A Grade is essentially Elite / NRS).
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance