Ferny Grove Rail Trail

RobM

Ferny Grove Rail Trail

Postby RobM » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:05 am

Took the CX bike for a century ride to Samford via the Ferny Grove Rail Trail and back.
Highly recommend it. The rail trail itself not very long but it gets you away from the traffic and the bush scenery is beautiful.
Lunch in Samford is also enjoyable. Happy riding! :mrgreen:

Crawf

Re: Ferny Grove Rail Trail

Postby Crawf » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Uploaded internetz route please?

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:21 pm

100km route from Tarragindi area:
https://www.strava.com/activities/360775442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I made a few wrong turns on the Kedron Brook bikeway, but you get the drift.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Did this ride two weeks ago on my Diverge. Where is the tunnel? I assume it's up towards Yugar but I didn't come across it?

I created this route in RWGPS for my Cyclo 505:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9302633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though my full ride was around 145km including taking the scenic route from Acacia Ridge to town.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:23 pm

The Ferny Grove end of the rail trail is going to be part of the Ferny Grove/Samford cycle link. Presumably, this means it will be paved at some stage. Due to start around now: Cycle Link.
The tunnel runs under Mt Samson Rd at Yugar, but is closed off. To continue, you have to climb stairs up to Mt Samson Rd. Rail Trail Yugar

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:26 pm

The old rail tunnel is at the end of Currawong Road, pretty much underneath Mt Samson Road. It's filled in (with rubble) at one end so you can't ride thru it. Besides that it's home to microbats and looks like somewhere murderers dump the bodies so I didn't hang around too long haha. Still in very good condition though.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:30 pm

@redsonic - I hope they don't pave it.
But understand it would be excellent for people commuting from Samford to Ferny Grove trainstation. More people on bikes I 'spose. Safer than the main road too.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:35 am

RobM wrote:The old rail tunnel is at the end of Currawong Road, pretty much underneath Mt Samson Road. It's filled in (with rubble) at one end so you can't ride thru it. Besides that it's home to microbats and looks like somewhere murderers dump the bodies so I didn't hang around too long haha. Still in very good condition though.
Thanks - I thought it may have been, I rode to the end of Currawong Rd but didn't see the continuation of the path. Oh well, I'll need to ride out there again and have another look. [emoji1]

It would be good if the rail trail section from Ferny Grove was paved. But then again, that would do away with the surprised looks I received from a couple of seemingly hard core MTB riders when I passed on my road bike.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:53 am

@RobM, found the tunnel, thanks. I see what you mean, put my headlight on full power and couldn't see any departed soles... Like you I didn't hang around.

Quite the adventure this time, first magpie strike of the season, then at Highvale I was struck by a tree branch, sticking out the side of a ute (as he passed less than 1m away). I bailed him up when he was coming out of the tip (near Currawong road) the drivers comment: "it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't riding on the road"... That's why I have cameras, I'll be passing the footage (including his comments) to the local cop shop.

Sitting in Samford having a coffee, hopefully the ride home will be uneventful.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Thankfully an uneventful ride home. Oh and I forgot to mention the near miss with a 4ft grey kangaroo this morning at Richlands...

Besides the tree car, great day, warm weather, a bit of adventure and 152km under the tyres. Thanks @RobM for inspiring me to redo the Ferny Grove Rail Trail [emoji106]
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 am

Sounds like you had a great adventure! Hopefully next time with out the vehicular encounters.

And yep, magpie season has begun. Got hit by 6 or 7 yesterday on a ride to the coast.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Need to bookmark this thread for a future ride
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:27 pm

cancan64 wrote:Need to bookmark this thread for a future ride
Here is the routes I used on Saturday:
Going out - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9794763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coming back - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9794792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last time I used this one:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9302633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But follow with caution, it includes crossing a paddock and walking a plank to cross a creek (slippery fun wearing road shoes :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

I started and finished the GPS track files at the Grange on Kedron Brook Bikeway (so wouldn't take a wrong turn and get lost before Ferny Grove :roll: )

Good Fun and nice scenery.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

trainedmonkey

Postby trainedmonkey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Riding in the Samford valley means that you're very likely to encounter horses, especially along Richards Road and Westbourne Drive. I regularly see horses on the rail trail itself between Ferny Grove and Samford. They're big animals and can startle easily. They seem to find bicycles pretty scary and don't like bells.

highplainsdrifter

Postby highplainsdrifter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:45 am

Heads up to anyone wanting to do this. Went through here yesterday and there are signs up saying that it will be closed from mid October to mid December for upgrading. Might be your last few weekends for a gravel ride.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:44 am

highplainsdrifter wrote:Heads up to anyone wanting to do this. Went through here yesterday and there are signs up saying that it will be closed from mid October to mid December for upgrading. Might be your last few weekends for a gravel ride.
Thanks for that. Having discovered the Rail Trail, it has become my preferred route to the Samford Valley. A little bit of gravel never hurt anyone, but I wonder if the upgrade will include sealing it?
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

highplainsdrifter

Postby highplainsdrifter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi Pete,

I believe it does involve sealing the section from the end of Lanita Rd Ferny Grove through the bush to McLean Road South over at Camp Mountain.

TMR site
The Samford to Ferny Grove Cycle Link project will provide a new 8.3km link between Samford Village and Ferny Grove Rail Station. The purpose of the project is to deliver a high-quality commuter corridor that provides cyclists with a safe, fast and direct connection with Samford and Ferny Grove.

The project will be delivered in two stages – Stage 1 (Ferny Grove Rail Station to Petersen Road, Samford) and Stage 2 (Petersen Road to Samford Village).

Stage 1

Stage 1 will provide a link between Ferny Grove Rail Station and Petersen Road via local streets, as well as a section through Samford Forest. The project will undertake improvement works to the existing cycle path along Lanita Road to connect to Samford Forest. It will then seal a 1.5km path through the forest to connect with McLean Road South. Some lighting and signage works will be undertaken at the Camp Mountain Road and McLean Road intersection, and a new section of off-road path will be built to connect McLean Road North with Petersen Road. This route was previously presented to the community during public consultation in late 2011.

The contract for construction of the project is due to be awarded in September 2015, with construction for the project due to start in late September/early October 2015 and take about 6 months to complete. Some early works to install lighting and signage will be undertaken at the Camp Mountain Road and McLean Road intersection in early September 2015.

Stage 2

Stage 2 of the project will connect Petersen Road with Samford Village. Planning for this stage is currently underway.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:14 pm

[emoji106]
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:18 am

I enjoy that the trail is unsealed, but it will give a safer route out to Samford. The guy who lives at the end of Lanita road has given me a few odd looks when I've ridden past. He's going to get a surprise when it's sealed and the traffic increases!

Dean Learner

Ferny Grove Rail Trail

Postby Dean Learner » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks for posting this up Rob, motivated me to find a different way out to the goat track this morning. Definately a lot more pleasant than Samford Rd.

Shame the dirt is going to go, makes for a nice bit of excitement on the roadie.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:21 am

Curiosity got the better of me so while in the area I popped by to see the bike path construction progress.

Says completion due mid December, I'm guessing that's going to slip, but it does appear close. Looks a lot different to my last visit. The cul de sac is a lot smaller in my work truck to what I remember on the bike too. [emoji1]
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:32 pm

Wow! That's different!

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Is that the finished surface (crusher dust)? Or are they pouring concrete slabs in between the two edge kerbs?

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:29 am

RobM wrote:Is that the finished surface (crusher dust)? Or are they pouring concrete slabs in between the two edge kerbs?
It's my understanding that the trail will be fully sealed all the way to the Lanita Court, Camp Mountain end. They are promoting it as a commuter corridor.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:59 pm

RobM wrote:Is that the finished surface (crusher dust)? Or are they pouring concrete slabs in between the two edge kerbs?
My guess is that it will be asphalt looking at the heights, the compacted material was road base.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram