Animals along Jim Soorley Bikeway

Sabantien

Animals along Jim Soorley Bikeway

Postby Sabantien » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Hey all,

Just wondering what animals people have spotted out the back of Toombul there.

I went for a ride after work, it was a bit dark, and riding along the long stretch next to the Gateway (had turned right at the cross/flowers and was heading towards the bridge, grassland to my right), when something ran out and under my back wheel.

Was quite a bump, but when I stopped, no sign of anything. The fraction of time I saw it I thought possum, but no trees close by, maybe a big rat? Hoping it wasn't a bandicoot.

kingswood

Re: Animals along Jim Soorley Bikeway

Postby kingswood » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi,
I passed through that spot about 10 am. There was a dead animal on the left side of the path. Heading east just passed the flowers and cross. I took a couple of photos with my phone which I will post when I get home tonight. It looked like a Bandicoot, but Im not certain ( it wasnt a possum or rat)
It was a reasonable size, you were lucky not fall off.
Talk later.

kingswood

Postby kingswood » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi Sabantien,

As mentioned before the little fella didn't make it, but you were lucky not to fall off. Im not sure exactly what the animal is but it's a good size. Much bigger than a rat with a much larger girth than an average possum. It was about 30 cm in length with a long skinny tail.
The pictures aren't great. The animal was partially shaded in the grass to the side of the path.
The last picture was on the path looking west back towards the flowers and cross, the animal was in the grass to my right.

Sorry to bring you the bad news but perhaps someone can identify the species.

Ride safe.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:12 pm

You killed the only Bunyip in QLD!
His last thoughts were probably "b@#*y cyclists!".

Poor little fella.

glenndini

Postby glenndini » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:24 am

Definitely a bandicoot. Probably a Northern Brown Bandicoot (Isoodon macrourus). I've seen their bums disappearing into the undergrowth many times along that path.

Sabantien

Postby Sabantien » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Oh bugger. :(

Couldn't spot it in the dark. The first time I ever see a bandicoot and I kill the poor thing.

I feel a bit bad now. I hope it didn't suffer. Thanks kingswood, even if it isn't good news.
I did see other animals disappearing into the bushes as I road along, but no chance at stopping for this one.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:04 pm

You'll start seeing lots of snakes soon. Mostly carpet pythons and red belly black snakes. There were some bulls loose in the there once, but I only ever saw one a bit off the track, still gave me a fright.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Might have to ban cyclists from riding along there if it's going to affect native wildlife... :|
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram