Southbank TAFE on Bicycle Parking Provisions

beauyboy

Southbank TAFE on Bicycle Parking Provisions

Postby beauyboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 am

A little history, Southbank Tafe is going throught Reconstruction of the Campus where half the buildings have be demolished with replacements being built and the other half being renovated. Due to this Bicycle parking has been moved and reduced. I was told this last year would be only tempary but it seams in the plan has allowed for parking. I sent in one of those "have Your Say" forms about the realocation of a set of racks that were moved, here is what I got back.
Tell me what you think.
I am not a happy chappy.
Dear Donald,

Thank you for submitting a Have Your Say form regarding bike racks being installed in the front of B Block.

Not wanting to point out the obvious, but construction is currently being carried out in front of B Block on Ernest Street, that unfortunately does not allow enough room to put bike racks and still allow pedestrian access to the footpath and the buildings. This construction has been extended until the end of October due to issues between the Brisbane City Council and the Water Commission.

The distance between the current bike racks to B Block is a 30 second walk across a road, not a huge ask for people who are healthy enough to ride bikes. Its really just laziness and a lack of respect for the facilities and other students, that people chain their bikes to anything without any regard for people who also use that area and what risk they maybe placing others in. This is also an issue with our blind and differently abled students.

If we put bike racks under B Block, we are breaching WH&S as this is a walkway and an eating area, and the Institute would be placing people at risk by allowing bike riders to use this area. Most riders may dismount and walk their bikes through, but previous experience tells us that some will try to ride their way to the racks, oblivious to the rights of others to be able to move in a pedestrian designated area about with being 'run over'. Again, this is another risk presented to our differently abled, blind and hearing impaired students that they have to overcome.

Once the construction in Ernest Street is complete we will review the area for a satisfactory space for another bike rack, but again this is dependent on the risk and hazards presented and how we might be able to safety remove or reduce these issues.

Thank you again for submitting a Have Your Say form on behalf of your fellow students.

Kindest regards
Angela

Angela Gray
Accommodation Officer
Facilities/Supply
Southbank Institute of Technology
Ph:
Mobile:
Fax:
Email:
Main Recept:
SBIT Recept:
www.southbank.edu.au
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:50 am

Perhaps look at buying a cheap POS and just chaining it where ever you can. You could also jog there from New Farm.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:09 am

Don't you love the way that Health and Safety is used as an excuse to block any suggestions that the management opposes. I was working at a place where there were a high number of employees who microwaved their lunch. At lunchtime there was a huge queue for the microwave. Purchase of a second microwave was blocked due to OH&S (Occupational Health & Safety).

BTW, whats this bitch to you about where bikes are locked up? Is it response to one of you comments?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Well in the form I submitted I pointed out that the current parking was failling because people were parking against poles and not in the racks.

What really got up my back is the line "RUN OVER"

What also annoys me is I suggested the bike racks adjacent but not in the walkway

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

munga

Re: Southbank TAFE on Bicycle Parking Provisions

Postby munga » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:43 pm

beauyboy wrote:...The distance between the current bike racks to B Block is a 30 second walk across a road, not a huge ask for people who are healthy enough to ride bikes...
well, im so fricken unhealthy i want to be able to park my hummer in my classroom.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:14 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Don't you love the way that Health and Safety is used as an excuse to block any suggestions that the management opposes. I was working at a place where there were a high number of employees who microwaved their lunch. At lunchtime there was a huge queue for the microwave. Purchase of a second microwave was blocked due to OH&S (Occupational Health & Safety).

BTW, whats this bitch to you about where bikes are locked up? Is it response to one of you comments?
Classic softc0ck option, sod 'em all.

"Run over" eh? Let's see the swine try stereotyping any other group like that :roll:

Go in hard Donald.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Well as they have to reply to every "HAVE YOUR SAY" form I am going to make her life very unpleasent. I am going to send in so many forms picking out problems with the facilities.

Donald

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:45 pm

give em hell Donald...... I know I did when I studied there many years ago!

Hang on, I still do whenever I make a delivery to the construction sites there....
Andrew

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 am

Ok latest Reply to my Latest "Hay Your Say"
This Time I asked weather or not the campus meet Queensland Government Targets for Bicycle trips throught parking.

EG.
what is the current population of Southbank TAFE southbank campus population?
Whats is the current bicycle parking alocation?
Does the current bicyle parking meet Queensland Government Targets of 8% by 2007 and 12% by 2011.

Ok i got the Targets wrong they are 5% by 2007 and 8% by 2011.

Here was the Bulls**t reply
Dear Donald,

The target for SEQ is for 5% of all trips to be made by bicycle by 2007 and 8% by 2011.

Currently the Institute has 639 Staff

– 157 are part-time
– 482 are full time
= 560.5 staff on campus at any one time

Staff Bike Racks currently available: 28

560.5/28 = 5%

These figures do not represent the number of staff that cycle to a train/bus station. Nor does this figure represents the multi-use of riders - eg. part-time, casual staff that may only be at work a few hours a day. Much like the student bike racks there is a change over of users around midday.

Gauging student numbers on a daily basis is very difficult, as classes, study times, semesters and on the job training make identifying exact student numbers on any given day nearly impossible. What has been notice is the bike racks are has spare spaces everyday. Student Bike Racks currently available is 28. The number of bike racks will increase over time as construction finishes and appropriate locations are identified.

Southbank Institute of Technology has spent a considerable amount of funding upgrading the educational facilities for the students and staff, and is still fitting out areas such as a student bistro and more common areas as scheduled. Over the last two years, we have built five (5) new multi-storey buildings, refurbished three (3) multi-storey buildings, taken down three (3) multi-storey buildings with one more to coming down as this response is being written, and a multi-storey accommodation for students that is yet to be built. We have been required to relocate over 600 people, with some groups moving more than twice, and have well over 2000 rooms fitted out with thousands of students utilising the Institute last year in one form or another. It has been a large and complex construction stage managed by less than dozen people within a two (2) year period. During this time we have coordinated works so educational programs can continue without interruption to studies.

We ask that you be patient whilst the construction works are completed, as new recreational areas and more student facilities will become available over time.

Thank you again for submitting a Have Your Say form on behalf of your fellow students.

Regards
Angela Gray

Angela Gray
Accommodation Officer
Facilities/Supply
Southbank Institute of Technology
Ph:
Mobile:
Fax:
Email:
Main Recept:
SBIT Recept:
www.southbank.edu.au

atkms35

Postby atkms35 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:47 am

a little more history on the bike racks at Southbank and beauyboy's remarks. Please note the following comments are mine alone.

Thanks for seeking permission from the author before publishing my response letter to your continuing complaints about the location of bike racks within Southbank. And thanks for offering the right of reply by advising that you have started a blog on this subject.

I also notice you didn't submit a copy of your complaints? I'm wondering why, if you feel so justified in publishing my responses why you don't want your fellow cycling bloggers to know the content of your complaints. ?Curious.
But let me sum it up. You are submitting ongoing complaints about the location of the bike racks. You suggested in front of B Block, yet there was construction going on at the time with barely any walkway let alone any room for bike racks. So then you wanted them moved between B & H Blocks, at an intersection of 3 buildings that is a walkway and an outdoor eating area for students. Its not an area that is large (or safe) enough to hold all the bike racks. That doesn't mean there's not a bike rack within 3 second walk of that location, there is, at the back of A Block. The majority of the bike racks are next to C Block which is a central location of all the Institute buildings, and as I already added, its very much less than a 30 second walk, infact less than a 10 second walk from where you wanted the racks to be placed to where they are currently placed. In this location the racks are under the watchful eye of security and are in a central location for all students.
In relation to your next complaint about meeting govt. targets, the Institute has met the current target (and did two years before it was required), and has plans in place to meet the next target in 2010. It should also be noted that the student bike racks are never full.
The next complaint in your blog - "run over, it really got my back up" statement probably needs some clarification. Yes there has been students that have been struck by bike riders on the Institute grounds, blind students have injured themselves on bikes attached to poles, hand rails, etc (and bikes have been stolen from these locations). The Institute caters to a huge variety of students including differently abled students that have a right to walk around without suffering a preventable injury. Funny how WH&S issues are painful when they inhibit an individual, but when someone gets hurt at a workplace, where is the first place people go for information? All business and organisations have to meet WH&S obligations, its a mature fact of a working life.
As described in my letter, the Institute has had some major refurbishment and construction, has upgraded all of its facilities and is still in progress of completing a schedule of works that include more facilities for students. People have/are working extremely hard to provide fantastic facilities for all students, catering to a multitude of requirements and learning needs.
I invite you to have a good look around the Institute and see the works that have been completed, the level of educational resources that are in each building and the quality of these resources (that are first class). Note the difference in what this Tafe was before the upgrade - less than 2 years ago, the new learning environments now - the Creative Industries area alone is incredible, the nursing unit is so realistic, I felt ill walking into it. Its sporting facilities are nearly complete with a huge green area soon to come into use (a rarity this close to the city). When you're walking around, I'm hoping you remember that a lot of this was put together by very few people in a very short time with many, many restrictions.
Basically what I'm trying to get at is besides the wonderful facilities, besides all the new and extra resources, besides the greatly improved environment, besides the very long hours people have and continue to put into this Institute, its facilities, its students and its ability to make money stretch to buy wonderful resources, you want to 'bombard me with letters of complaint over a 3 to 10 second walk. Well, I suppose there's nothing I can do to stop you, but another avenue to take would be to form a Southbank cycle club, join the student body, engage with Institute management about cycle facilities and provide constructive information to both management and fellow cyclists. This would seem to be a more constructive, proactive and mutually beneficial way of getting what you and your fellow cyclists want. Just a suggestion.
I wonder, as moderator, if you're going to allow my response (or change it, so I've kept a copy). I have to state again, these comments are my personal opinion and not the opinion of the Institute. I also extend any help or assistance I can personally provide if you chose to form a cycle club here at the Institute. Crazy I know, but I do support the students and if people commit to a positive, constructive method information sharing I believe it makes a place that everyone can enjoy and benefit from.
The ball's in your court, you've got my email address, and this would be the preferred avenue of contact, as I don't believe I'll be back to this site anytime soon.
kindest regards
Angela

Max

Postby Max » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:27 am

You know, when I read the first lines of atkms35's reply, I found myself thinking "oh great, another person whinging about someone venting on the interweb". But having read her reply in full, I'm actually pretty impressed with her response.

Max

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Thanks Max :(

Ok for everyone to know I did not post my "have your say" forms on this site because they are hand written and they were done during class breaks. So it would not be possible for me to post them without me having a on site scanner and some how knowing how to post a picture on this thing (yes I know I'm a mod and I cant post a pic)

So shoot me

Donald

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:59 am

Thats a fair response.
Donald, get a scanner or take a digital photo. Perhaps your complaints had slight elements of sarcasm - on the other hand this is a very healthy discussion, although atkms35 said she may not return to this site we will certainly not delete the post.

I suggest the next plan of attack would be either:
- Set up a student club or group who can then lobby for facilities or;
- Stage a demo or some sort of action to get attention.

With the latter approach it would be in the interest of progress if it was positive in that it doesn't create a negative image or annoyance - humour is a good approach. Get college student newspapers, radio and TV on board and then you are bound to generate a good result.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:13 pm

atkms35 wrote:Thanks for seeking permission from the author before publishing my response letter to your continuing complaints about the location of bike racks within Southbank.
With the greatest respect Angela, Donald, I doubt very much that Donald needs your permission to post your responses. Once you sent them to Donald, it is Donald's choice what he does with them as the recipients.

However, I agree that it would have been helpful if Donald had at least given you a heads-up as to his postings here so you could participate in the discussion if you so choose.

Finally I think it is important to remember that the TAFE is a public institution with a responsibility to the public. Maybe if Donald is concerned about the handling of the matters, he should formally notify the Queensland Ombudsman (I assume the TAFE falls under his or her's authority) and request a review.

Regards
Andrew