North to NSW Ride

koen

North to NSW Ride

Postby koen » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Just to invite anyone interested down/up! to Stanthorpe in January for a couple of rides around the beautiful district Saturday16, Sunday17. The routes include dirt roads but suitable for most road bikes. I mostly ride 23mm tyres.
For those on facebook you can look up Queensland Bush Bike Rides.
Free.
I would post a picture but Flickr is acting up for me just now.
8.30am under the Post Office clock both days. A pleasant 3hour drive via Warwick from Brisbane.

koen

Re: North to NSW Ride

Postby koen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:58 pm

Some pictures of the route for Saturday 16th January.
The plan is to leave Stanthorpe and do a large fig 8 on the eastern side of town. Everywhere is slightly up or down, it is not hard riding but you feel it a bit harder than flat roads. I have organised a route that is about 80klm but there are points where it is easy to ride back to town if you want a shorter ride. Stopping at cafe at the 55k mark. About 30klm of the 80klm is on dirt which probably adds slightly to the difficulty for most though many of the roads should be quite smooth. The scenery and wildlife is wonderful and the traffic is nearly non existent.
Sunday is 55klm with 8ks dirt and possibility of a swim halfway.
Contact me if you want to stay the Saturday night. We have room for a few but first in get the best beds :)
Back of Storm King Dam
old sheep yard

Mapomatic

Postby Mapomatic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Looks like fun! Spending Xmas in Wallangarra down the road, but heading back to Sydney on the third of January. Do you have a route planned that you could share? I'd love to try a few different roads out that way.

koen

Postby koen » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Yeah, I was going to get around to posting the ride routes. Not sure where you'd like to ride from Wallangarra but I have been meaning to get down that way on the bike. So many rabbits in Wallangarra :-) ...scaring me off..haha. The road that goes out past army base towards Girraween, Mt Norman Road...might be worth exploring on a mtb?. Otherwise highway to pyramid road down to storm king dam and back to Ballandean on Eukey Rd. Nice pies at Ballandean :-)
PM me if you want to come up to Stanthorpe.

Mapomatic

Postby Mapomatic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:03 am

I've done the loop around Mt Norman and Pyramid Rd's, clockwise and counter clockwise on a dually and last year on a cross bike with 33c tyres. Much quicker on the cross bike, getting a new frame which will take 45s today, should have it built up by Xmas.
I'm planning to ride out to Storm King this trip, previously ridden out to Glenlyon, didn't have the legs to ride back.

If I make it out to Stanthorpe I'll pm you.

koen

Postby koen » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:35 am

Should be lovely weather to ride down roads with zero traffic except kangaroos and rabbits. Leaving 8.30 from Stanthorpe post office Saturday and Sunday. Terrible predicted maximum of 24deg. It is so hot riding here in summer :-)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 am

One day. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km