Mount Barney - Gold Coast Hinterland

TheWall

Mount Barney - Gold Coast Hinterland

Postby TheWall » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Hey All,

We are camping over new years at Mount Barney in the Gold Coast Hinterland and the Wifeeee was asking how I was going to cope without riding for a week...and then she looked at me and muttered..."Your not thinking of taking your bike are you?!?" ('Note that was the Parental Guidance version).

I honestly wasn't until she put the idea up [emoji14] so anyone know any good routes in the area? Any Strava mapped courses?

Matt

Ryanhyltoncummins

Re: Mount Barney - Gold Coast Hinterland

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:52 am

All I am aware of is the climb up to Carney Creek falls https://www.strava.com/segments/7769621

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:21 pm

You know I said bike riding not cliff climbing right? [FEARFUL FACE]

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Didn't Luke Boy do some riding out there? You can ride heaps of roads in that area. :wink:

Go to Maroon Dam, Spicers Gap, White Cliff falls, plenty of good rides to be had, just stay hydrated. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Mt Barney area is mostly roads that quickly become unsealed and then end in the border ranges, thus limiting what you can get up to on a road bike. You might need to throw the road bike in the car and drive to either Beaudeset or Boonah area.
Some nice riding south of Beaudesert to the Lost World via Kerry.
Or from Boonah to Mt Alford and Carneys Creek.
If you wanna really do something big keep on going to Killarney via Queen Mary Falls but WATCH OUT for cattle grids on the descent into Killarney !!!
The old Mt Lindesay highway between Woodenbong and Rathdowney is a nice descent too
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"

Rxticle

Postby Rxticle » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 pm

on your MTB, do the Condamine River crossings and back via Killarney and Queen Mary falls. TheWall - I did this pre-strava so I don't have this route to share with you unfortunately. I did this when I was reasonably unbike fit and even with the heavy MTB etc, it was slow but do-able. The descent was unbelievable even with discs. My brother passed me just absolutely bombing it, only for him to tell me later that his old Giant MTB disc brakes were fading and he was just hanging on for the ride...

Otherwise, what everyone else says above on the roadie.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:07 am

Rxticle wrote:on your MTB, do the Condamine River crossings and back via Killarney and Queen Mary falls. TheWall - I did this pre-strava so I don't have this route to share with you unfortunately. I did this when I was reasonably unbike fit and even with the heavy MTB etc, it was slow but do-able. The descent was unbelievable even with discs. My brother passed me just absolutely bombing it, only for him to tell me later that his old Giant MTB disc brakes were fading and he was just hanging on for the ride...

Otherwise, what everyone else says above on the roadie.

He what? :shock: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:28 am

foo on patrol wrote:Didn't Luke Boy do some riding out there? You can ride heaps of roads in that area. :wink:

The Chillingham area is my area :P