Mt Cootha

jasonc

Re: Mt Cootha

Postby jasonc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:22 am

Why not do a snap send solve?

rossocorsa

Postby rossocorsa » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:48 am

Had my first go at Mt Coot-tha on Saturday afternoon. Had a very understanding fiancee drop me off at the Botanic Gardens and meet me at the summit, stopping to take photos of my suffering along the way.

I went the back way (if you're going to do it, do it properly right?) and had to stop with about 1km to go due to calf cramp that disappeared fairly quickly. I'm slightly ashamed to say that I struggled on my 53/39 11-25 setup but I managed to clock a 13:36 for the Strava segment.

Backed it up yesterday with my first attempt at Mt Gravatt which I found a lot easier, clocking 8:27 and 9:06 for both attempts. The 2nd run was a bit more relaxed as I just wanted to get back to the top so that I could come back down again 8) :wink:

I spend pretty much all of my time on the bike training around Murrarie so it was a good change to get out there on the hills. Chances are that they aren't on here but thanks to the guys on both climbs who took time to say hi!
Specialized Venge - "Isabella"
Specialized Shiv - "Candice"

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:32 pm

great work. 13:36 with stopping - i reckon you''ll be tapping at the 10 minutes barrier in no time

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Also probably best to have a bit of a warm up before hitting Cootha, so start a bit further out than the base at the botanical gardens! :D

rossocorsa

Postby rossocorsa » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:38 pm

jasonc wrote:great work. 13:36 with stopping - i reckon you''ll be tapping at the 10 minutes barrier in no time

Yeah, I'd like to go sub-12 as climbing isn't a massive goal of mine. Triathlons are where my focus is now so it's all about pacing and heart rate thresholds and that sort of fun stuff. 12 minutes seems to be where a lot of my cycling mates seem to be dotted so it'd be nice to mix it in there with them.

adam0bmx0 wrote:Also probably best to have a bit of a warm up before hitting Cootha, so start a bit further out than the base at the botanical gardens! :D

That incline straight out of the box was a bit of a rude shock. Wasn't expecting it to be that bad! I live over at Carindale so I'm not familiar with the area and how to ride safely over there so the drop-off option was my only play.
Specialized Venge - "Isabella"
Specialized Shiv - "Candice"

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm

rossocorsa wrote:
jasonc wrote:great work. 13:36 with stopping - i reckon you''ll be tapping at the 10 minutes barrier in no time[/quote

adam0bmx0 wrote:Also probably best to have a bit of a warm up before hitting Cootha, so start a bit further out than the base at the botanical gardens! :D

That incline straight out of the box was a bit of a rude shock. Wasn't expecting it to be that bad! I live over at Carindale so I'm not familiar with the area and how to ride safely over there so the drop-off option was my only play.

Park over Dutton Park way and head in via the Uni or West End and then cross over and head down corodrive bike way.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:40 pm

rossocorsa wrote:... Had a very understanding fiancee drop me off at the Botanic Gardens and meet me at the summit, stopping to take photos of my suffering along the way...

... and had to stop with about 1km to go due to calf cramp that disappeared fairly quickly.

Cold muscles - Ride in from home next time, that should have you going well!
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram