Brisbane Bike Fit - Did you get one? If so, where?

Shpox

Brisbane Bike Fit - Did you get one? If so, where?

Postby Shpox » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:07 am

Hey lads, just trying to see if anyone have got a bike fit recently and can vouch for their fitter? I'm trying to get my Arione dialed in, but before I go off replacing saddles, I thought I might go for a total fit.

There seem to be some 2D/3D options, I'm not sure if Guru Fit or Retul are worth more than a 2D fit.

Taylor Cycles does a CLS fit for $99
A friend also recommended Optima who does one for about the same
Bikeology does one for $249 inc. pedal analysis
Fusion does the Guru fit though not sure about cost
Nick Formosa does one with Retul for about $349.

Ultimately I'm not looking for a fancy pants readout to take home, but rather someone that can use their experience to examine if I'm set up correctly, with or without tech.

Would love any insight.

ValleyForge

Re: Brisbane Bike Fit - Did you get one? If so, where?

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Unless there is a stonking short timeline, an experienced eye cast over you on a solid bunch ride is worth it's weight in gold. I'm a bit of a bikefit skeptic, but acknowledge that I've been riding and fixing bikes for several decades...
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:42 am

I've gone through many a bike fit over the years, from the LBS, a physio with a bike background and also the 3D retul fits.

Value wise, I found the Physio as the best option (I can PM you the guy I saw on multiple occasions). As I'm friends with the physio, I had him fix a few things up around the end of last year after I cramped up during a race. I also recently saw a 3D fitter after my team was given a discounted rate. From the 3D fit, I didn't have any large changes in my bike position, so the physio was pretty much on point, saddle height, cleat position all stayed the same, however seat position and handle bar set up was slightly changed to make me in a more aggressive position.

So, I'd suggest not worrying about the Retul fits until you're really at the pointy end of your riding, i.e. Racing or having pain related issues not solved from the bike fits.

Also, similar to the physio, if you have health care, you may find you'll get some cash back from people who offer fits, so that may reduce the price you'll end up paying as well.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:39 am

So with regards to a bike fit i imagine seat height, angle and amount of forward/backward positioning on the rails is the foundation? All the other adjustments tend to address geometry.
I mention seat adjustment because personally i prefer the seat sloping down towards the front quite a bit more than any of the formal setup material i have read. If i ride with the seat level iam getting numbness in the nether region. Sloping down also makes my 2 bum bones sit nicely on the softer padded area of the saddle.
Iam thinking getting a bikefit might feel similar in many ways to getting a golf swing checked out by a pro. In the latter example the theory is often sound but it doesnt mean it always feels right?

additionally a bloke i used to work with who's daughter races in europe was telling me about the UCI scrutineering regarding bike setups which would be a factor in setups.

Whatever way it turns out i looks forward to hearing how your experience plays out shpox.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:07 pm

You could try cycle dynamics. I've found him to be thorough.

http://cycledynamics.com.au/

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 pm

I want one that'll give me dimension numbers I can then pass onto a custom frame builder to build a bike for me. not many are happy to do that as they're more inclined to do what they can with the bike you have to get the best fit for you on it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Shpox wrote:I'm trying to get my Arione dialed in...
Good luck with that - many have found the Arione just doesn't work for them.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

stump1100

Postby stump1100 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:44 pm

If you are on the Northside...Avanti in Brendale does bike fits as well.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:09 pm

been happy with mine - http://www.cyclephysio.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jameslagden

Postby jameslagden » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:27 pm

I went to Cycle Dynamics and had great service from Ben. You get all of the changes and recommendations on a report for future reference/bike purchasing. You can also claim against your health fund for the physio portion as well.

ProBikeFit

Postby ProBikeFit » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:24 pm

Gary Land Probikefit The Gap, getting a bike fit is a difficult decision. Yet it doesn't have to be, I am happy to give you a FREE Bike fit using the Retul system. (Certified Master Retul fitter)

There is a significant difference between static and motion fitting, 2D & 3D fitting takes 3hrs and is normally $325.oo

Regards Gary 0417300393
Please mention this post.

Fridgie

Postby Fridgie » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:14 pm

ProBikeFit wrote:Gary Land Probikefit The Gap, getting a bike fit is a difficult decision. Yet it doesn't have to be, I am happy to give you a FREE Bike fit using the Retul system. (Certified Master Retul fitter)

There is a significant difference between static and motion fitting, 2D & 3D fitting takes 3hrs and is normally $325.oo

Regards Gary 0417300393
Please mention this post.
Does this apply to anyone or just the OP? :wink:

Have recently started to get some knee pain and think it may have something to do with my setup on the mtb after getting new pedals.

ProBikeFit

Postby ProBikeFit » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:32 pm

[quote][/quote] I am happy to offer a chat and solution to your knee pain for free. But I am unable to feed myself and offer a full Retul fit for the same.
Regards Gary

scutmonkey

Postby scutmonkey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Curious if anyone has found a good fitter in Cairns at all?
Any recommendations?
Thanks..! :)