Anyone Ridden on Stradbroke Island

highplainsdrifter

Anyone Ridden on Stradbroke Island

Postby highplainsdrifter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi there,

I've been contemplating catching the ferry over to Stradbroke Island one day soon and riding over to Point Lookout and back.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and how it was. Are the roads okay for riding? It's been a while since I've been over there. How is the Traffic? I will be going mid week, is there much in the way of truck traffic with the sand mining?

I was thinking of riding from Dunwich across to Point Lookout via East Coast Road then coming back via Fishermans Road & Alfred Martin Way (Trans Island Road).

I'll be on a Road bike so was wondering if this is achievable? Dunwich to Point Lookout should be okay but looking on Google Maps/Satalite it looks like Fishermans Road is Sand? Is this rideable on a road bike or is it more a mountain bike ride? Is it soft or compacted?

https://www.strava.com/routes/4634523

Cheers

Mike

TheWall

Re: Anyone Ridden on Stradbroke Island

Postby TheWall » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:29 pm

A Strava associate just did a week over there and took his roadie...did 40-50k everyday on Dun/PL roads and nothing ill to report.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:27 pm

Yes, I have done this - took a small backpack and stayed overnight at the pub.

To Amity and Pt Lookout is an easy ride.Trans Island Road is also sealed.

Fishermans Road is sand and I would say not suitable for a road bike. But in the right conditions, i.e. after rain it might be rideable. How game are you?

BTW - you can see all these roads in Google Maps Streetview.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

highplainsdrifter

Postby highplainsdrifter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:58 pm

I was just looking at Streetveiw it's a little hard to tell the condition of the road though as the photos are from 2008 and kinda blury.

Just found this ride report 2013

http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/forum/topic/2 ... ch/board/3

Looks like it may be a little difficult on a road bike especially after rain.

Chockolate

Postby Chockolate » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Just reviving this thread.

I did this on the weekend, anti-clockwise:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Dunw ... d-27.5!3e1

Brown Lake and Blue Lake are no problem, however finding the way up to Point Lookout without going back to Dunwich is hazardous. Expect a lot of soft sand, and make sure you are doing Main Beach at low low tide, otherwise you'll be pushing through powdery sand for a couple of hours at least with every 4WD chuckling as they fly past.