Brisbane Council to remove awful BAZs?

redsonic

Brisbane Council to remove awful BAZs?

Postby redsonic » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:53 pm

A very quick article on 7 news tonight: BCC admits the yellow bike symbols confuse both cyclists and drivers and will stop the practice (remove them?). If so, this is big news, but a quick search just now failed to find anything except a mention on Facebook, which I refuse to join. Anyone else know anything about this?

Lukeyboy

Re: Brisbane Council to remove awful BAZs?

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:25 pm

Not removing existing ones. Only applies to installing new ones.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:28 pm

Also the council is not going to be 'refreshing' the current ones so they will fade away in time.

I'm not really happy about this, but I seem to be in the minority. I'm a truckie, driving a 19m quarry truck & dog, now there really isn't anywhere around SEQ that I don't drive, so lots of less than familiar roads. I'm the truck driver that we here actually like as I see both sides of the story, however like any other motorist it is always (in my mind) handy to have a reminding prompt that your rolling along a road which is a thoroughfare for cyclists. Sure we need to be aware of bikes anywhere but the reminder on a road commonly trafficked by cyclists is a good thing IMO.

My wife commented on this discontinuation being a good thing, and my response was that a lot of the roads that I ride by bike along have these yellow cave man paintings on them. I think anything which prompts the driver to think of people on bicycles in the same space is a good idea.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

zero

Postby zero » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:31 pm

All they need to do is put the markings in the middle of the through traffic lane, and not alongside car doors.

Its been done by several Sydney councils and causes no issues. its a simple recognition that bicycles are traffic.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:58 pm

^^^^ This

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Can anyone tell me why they are considered awful?

Its probably coincidence but I've noticed that people give more room when they are painted in the middle of the road.

They feature on South pine road / Pimelea Street at Arana Hills and people always seem to give me plenty of space through there despite it being a tight section. That section in particular seems to have lots of trucks with trailers and everyone seems to make room?

It might just be coincidence but in other areas where they don't feature (like Hamilton Road) I always seem to get close shaves.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:32 pm

daft1024 wrote:Can anyone tell me why they are considered awful?

Its probably coincidence but I've noticed that people give more room when they are painted in the middle of the road.

They feature on South pine road / Pimelea Street at Arana Hills and people always seem to give me plenty of space through there despite it being a tight section. That section in particular seems to have lots of trucks with trailers and everyone seems to make room?

It might just be coincidence but in other areas where they don't feature (like Hamilton Road) I always seem to get close shaves.
The vast majority of yellow bicycles painted on Brisbane roads are straddling the line delineating the edge of the road. Cyclists who don't know better think this is where they must ride, and drivers think that this is where cyclists should be. Unfortunately, it places cyclists right in the dooring zone.

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 am

redsonic wrote:The vast majority of yellow bicycles painted on Brisbane roads are straddling the line delineating the edge of the road. Cyclists who don't know better think this is where they must ride, and drivers think that this is where cyclists should be. Unfortunately, it places cyclists right in the dooring zone.
Oh right. Yeah I can see how that could be confusing for some people.

I still like the idea of there being a reminder that bikes are allowed to share the road - especially on popular cycling routes.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:18 pm

daft1024 wrote:I still like the idea of there being a reminder that bikes are allowed to share the road - especially on popular cycling routes.
then wouldn't these be more useful:

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Maybe... I could see how a sign like would be great on places like Bunya or Lochinvar Road (I think they signs like this on Sunrise Road up at Noosa) but I wonder if would be lost on suburban roads like South pine Road / Pimelea Street? I still don't see a problem with a reminder painted on the road?