Caboolture Rail Trail

Lukeyboy

Caboolture Rail Trail

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 am

https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/gener ... ?id=154130

Project summary

The Caboolture to Wamuran Rail Trail will be a 10.5km long shared pathway extending from Beerburrum Road, Caboolture to Atwood Street, Wamuran. This is a unique project that follows the old Caboolture to Kilcoy railway corridor that closed in 1964. The aim of the project is to showcase the history of the railway while providing a quality shared pathway and support facilities that will attract cyclists and walkers to the area.

The project will also provide great benefits to the Caboolture and Wamuran local communities by providing high quality cycling and walking connections to local schools including Tullawong State School, Tullawong State High School, St Paul's Lutheran Primary School, Grace Lutheran College, St Peters Catholic Primary School and Wamuran State School. The project also provides a key connection to employment and transport nodes in Caboolture including the Railway Station and Caboolture CBD.

The project will include the following features:

10.5 km long, 3 - 3.5 metre wide shared asphalt and concrete pathway
Entry statements in Caboolture and Wamuran including information map signage, shelters, drinking fountains, seating, lighting and landscaping
Bridge and culvert crossings and specially designed road crossings
Interpretative and wayfinding signage
Seating nodes
Inclusion of public artwork

Council is investing $4.6M into the design and construction of this project. This project will be jointly funded by Moreton Bay Regional Council and the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Commencement date

This project will sequentially be delivered over 4 years in the following stages:

2016/17 - Detailed Design
2017/18 - Construction of Stage 1 (Caboolture to Moodlu) and the County Drive crossing in Wamuran
2018/19 - Construction of Stage 2 (Wamuran township to County Drive, Wamuran)
2019/20 - Construction of Stage 3 (Moodlu to County Drive Wamuran

Download a copy of the map [PDF 460KB] showing stages of the project.
You’re invited to have your say

From 1 July to December 2016, Council will be liaising directly with local schools, adjacent residents and businesses during the design of the project. Further consultation will occur during the pre-construction and construction phases of the project.

Council are also inviting the public to submit historical information and photographs that could be included in historic interpretative signage along the rail trail route. Some historical information about the railway line has been developed by the Wamuran Community for more information see the Wamuran Community website.
Further information

Download a copy of the concept plan [PDF 13.5MB].

If you would like to learn more about this exciting project or provide feedback on the concept plans, please do not hesitate to contact Council on (07) 3205 0555 or email completestreets@moretonbay.qld.qov.au

Usernoname

Re: Caboolture Rail Trail

Postby Usernoname » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Looks positive for locals to the area. May get a few more kids and families out on their bikes. 4 years though for 10k's, suppose budget gets spread over the years. I imagine this would take a week to complete in China.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Excellent start, hopefully one day it will run through to kilcoy to link up with the BVRT.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:20 am

Isn't the BVRT supposed to eventually run to Wamuran? This would link it up nicely... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:21 pm

If they thew money at it now we could have just a fkn epic rail trail in the 300-400km range from Boonah all the way to Theebine (About 40km north of Gympie) with only a small 15km bit in the middle not connected due to the lines never being connected. Boonah-Ipswich was in development but I think they've run into difficulties with land owners. The Boonah section is done but that's about it. The BVRT is powering ahead. The Theebine spur has got government funding for the 60km Kingaroy-Kilkivan section (I think they are still planning on how to connect the two either building a new link or using one of the spurs). If you know what to look for you can follow the old railway spurs. Most seem to be adjacent to roads so land owners shouldn't be really much of a concern.

I for one would love to do that over a long weekend. Catch a train to Ipswich and then ride up to Theenbine either camping overnight/staying at hotels in the old railway towns before catching the train back from Gympie/Maryborough.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:If they thew money at it now we could have just a fkn epic rail trail in the 300-400km range from Boonah all the way to Theebine (About 40km north of Gympie) with only a small 15km bit in the middle not connected.

I for one would love to do that over a long weekend. Catch a train to Ipswich and then ride up to Theenbine either camping overnight/staying at hotels in the old railway towns before catching the train back from Gympie/Maryborough.
I would be interested in that. Would be awesome.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:35 pm

TheWall wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:If they thew money at it now we could have just a fkn epic rail trail in the 300-400km range from Boonah all the way to Theebine (About 40km north of Gympie) with only a small 15km bit in the middle not connected.

I would be interested in that. Would be awesome.
Too bad its ages away from actually happening :( :(