Petrie to Kippa-Ring shared path

Jash Rider

Petrie to Kippa-Ring shared path

Postby Jash Rider » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:30 am

Petrie to Kippa-Ring shared path is now open. The path is 12.6km long and 3m wide except for where it's not. I rode it for the first time on Thursday arvo on my hack bike (bright yellow '97 model Giant Yukon with milk crate racks front and rear). It's a lovely ride from either direction with clear signage along the way so you don't get lost when having to cross several roads through the Kallangur/Murrumba Downs area.

It's got several gentle slopes which are not at all difficult to ride up, and are great fun to coast along on the way down. One thing I really like is the effort and expense they've gone to in making it a visually attractive ride. There's lots of native shrubs planted along the path and water ways which were once swamps have been made into rather nice looking man made ponds. Wildlife has already moved in (swooped by Magpies at three different locations) and there's a nice dotted white line down the middle to remove any confusion as to where you should be on the path when approaching other people using it.

There are many entry and exit points along the way, and each train station has a sign giving you the distances to every other station on the line.

I give it an 8/10 rating as there are some parts of the ride where you must deal with traffic (not ideal if you are riding with small children), and there's several sections where you will have to deal with people leaving train stations at busy times, but all in all it's a top experience that allows you to ride safely and easily for a decent distance.

You could easily spend several hours riding this path and discovering the places it leads to.

foo on patrol

Re: Petrie to Kippa-Ring shared path

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:27 am

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:23 pm

Having ridden this path four times this week both solo and with a group I concur that this is a great piece of infrastructure.

Photo shows the start of the path at Kippa Ring Station
Image[/URL]
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:21 pm

I've ridden this path three times in the past week. Took the kids on it yesterday, full length too. Took about 3 hours with toilet stops and snack stops, but we had fun and they loved it.

I really like that for almost all of the ride your are very well separated from motorized traffic. You can ride without having to worry about being the next statistic for cycling deaths in Australia.

And if you go early in the morning there's nobody using it so you can just flat out hammer it! Hit 50kph this morning between Kallangur and Murrumba Downs stations. Not a soul in sight.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:51 pm

looking at it on google you looks like you can connect to the sweeny reserve path & you can connect to the southern kallangur paths easy enough, but who knows how well maintained they are these days. I haven't ridden those in 10 years

sevencoughnine

Postby sevencoughnine » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:40 am

Moreton Council has a brochure showing the rail and the shared path here:
http://www.brisbanenorthbug.com/wp-cont ... orkMap.pdf

I notice that Google Maps hasn't yet incorporated the full path into walk or cycle route plans.
I'm trying to work out the best channel to submit updates and change requests through.
Any ideas?

sevencoughnine

Postby sevencoughnine » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:53 am

Playing with Googe Earth shows the highest point on the path is 38m on the stretch from Petrie to Kallangur, a not-too-high climb from the 14m elevation at a Petrie starting point, or the lowest point elevation at Rothwell, 4m. (Kippa Ring is at 6m elevation). Mango Hill does intervene with 30m elevation

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 am

sevencoughnine wrote:Moreton Council has a brochure showing the rail and the shared path here:
http://www.brisbanenorthbug.com/wp-cont ... orkMap.pdf

I notice that Google Maps hasn't yet incorporated the full path into walk or cycle route plans.
I'm trying to work out the best channel to submit updates and change requests through.
Any ideas?
Looks pretty good

Is the railway new or an upgrade of an existing track?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:59 am

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:32 pm

I'm guessing that the rail corridor was allocated 100 years ago.

Good to see that QLD is building their rail infrastructure and good to see that they are also putting in bike paths in conjunction

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:26 pm

mikesbytes wrote:

Good to see that QLD is building their rail infrastructure and good to see that they are also putting in bike paths in conjunction
In fact, in the early 90's I had a house nearby when it was decided that the line would never be built, so quite a bit of it was sold off for housing development.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Melbourne has a better one, planned in 1890, rail to Doncaster is now planned for 2027.

There was a box hill to Doncaster tram built in 1892 that had:

There was some opposition from locals who objected to construction of the tramway on the grounds that it would supplant the need for a railway to Doncaster and bring ‘undesirable tourists’.

and that closed in 1896..

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:08 am

RonK wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:

In fact, in the early 90's I had a house nearby when it was decided that the line would never be built, so quite a bit of it was sold off for housing development.
Does that mean its shorter than the original corridor permitted? Was the developer related to any of the Councillors? If so its a pity, would of permitted for a longer bike path even if they didn't build the tracks.

piledhigher wrote:
Melbourne has a better one, planned in 1890, rail to Doncaster is now planned for 2027.

There was a box hill to Doncaster tram built in 1892 that had:

There was some opposition from locals who objected to construction of the tramway on the grounds that it would supplant the need for a railway to Doncaster and bring ‘undesirable tourists’.

and that closed in 1896..
That happened in Sydney around 2000? They wanted to extend the train line from Bondi Junction to Bondi Beach but the locals didn't want to improve access to the westies, as they would of referred to them

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:47 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Does that mean its shorter than the original corridor permitted? Was the developer related to any of the Councillors? If so its a pity, would of permitted for a longer bike path even if they didn't build the tracks.
I don't think it would have affected the length, but it did affect the location of a station.

It was a state government decision so I doubt any councillors were involved. But it would be no surprise if the developer was related to the state government somehow.