Anyone know this cyclist?

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby PiratePete » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:51 pm

Hey guys, many of you know that I obviously use cameras on my bikes, but cycling doesn't pay the bills it just generates more expenses. So I need to work for a living, I do this by driving a Mack Truck Tipper and Dog trailer combo (please don't shoot me). I'm happy to say that cyclists are on my radar and that you have nothing to worry about if I come up behind you.

I use a camera on the truck too, for much the same reasons as we use them on our bikes, well at least for the evidence collection part of it anyway.

This morning I had a cyclist do a particularly silly thing so I thought I'd highlight it. This cyclist made her way up the left side of my vehicle while I was indicating to turn left at a roundabout. I knew she was at the back of the vehicle as I was waiting my turn, when I was able to enter the roundabout, besides seeing and reacting to a car shooting through the intersection, I scanned the FOUR mirrors on my left side and she was gone! Only a second before she was still clipped in and at my back wheels, guessing that she was now in my blind spot beside my front left wheel I hit the picks and then the horn. As you can see in the video, she just rode around the corner, only looking to see if there was something crossing my path.

For the record, I confirmed that all 10 indicator lights on the left of the combination were all fully functional.

Rounding the corner my rear wheels cleared the kerb by only a couple of inches...

I'm hoping that someone knows her and can point out not only the danger of such action, but how this reflects on all of us (cyclists), particularly to all of us (truckies), who as a whole don't have much respect for us (cyclists). Gee I'm confused :?

EDIT: This was at the intersection of Hellawell and Jackson Roads at Sunnybank HIlls.

2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
Derny Driver
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Gee, good job mate. Talk about a death wish!

brumby33
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Beverly Hills NSW...Yeehaaaaa!!

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby brumby33 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:53 am

Pirate pete, many cyclists do the same when I'm driving my bus in the city, they filter up the left side when we're trying to make turns or if at an intersection they just jump in front of us. Like you and as a cycling enthusiast I try to be cycling aware as much as possible while still looking for other idiots such as taxi drivers (don't get me started on them)
While many experienced cyclists are in and out of traffic but they know when to get going and they go at a decent pace but some of the commuting cyclists are totally oblivious to what's going around them which that girl in your video has shown, she hadn't a clue what she had done and the danger she has put herself in, she just looked at your truck as if to say "WHAT"?

She would not have stood a chance in hell if clipped or dragged in by one of your wheels, not only that, the lip of the dog trailer on the lower side of the bin would rip someone clean in half. I tried driving those things once about 6 years ago, the dog trailers track very well compared to that of a semi- trailer but they are b*tch of a thing to reverse...couldn't get my head around it....I truly hated those trailers and the boss was getting edgy so I went back to buses :lol:

Many of my colleages don't share my view of cyclists and I try to educate them a little without getting told to FO and I for one am delighted more people are taking to cycling around the city as apposed to jumping in the tin top, I get to check out different bike set-ups, notice a lot more women have taken up the 2 wheels and while many have chosen the traditional girls config. of bikes, many have turned to full on road bikes, like that girl in the video. Just wished they took more care and learn some road craft.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3425
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:40 pm

You got GPS in the truck??? :P

StravaFlyBy :P

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby PiratePete » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:You got GPS in the truck??? :P

StravaFlyBy :P


Don't you have to be logging a ride???

Is this how you manage to get so many KOMs, running your bike GPS in your car... :shock:
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3425
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 pm

in my car..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. I know some garmin gps auto record if its plugged into the cig lighter with auto start.

User avatar
redsonic
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby redsonic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:41 pm

That was a truly stupid manoeuvre by the cyclist; all I can say is that she is damn lucky you were looking out for her.
Good job PP.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18442
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09 pm

Unfortunately some don't realise how dangerous a maneuver like that is. I'd put her in the ignorance category rather than the reckless category. Pete correct me if I'm wrong, if a car was turning left there, it would normally be to the left but a truck at that intersection needs more road space to perform the turn. That being the case the cyclists saw a nice wide piece of road to the left of your truck and treated it like a bike lane, the problem being of course is that it wasn't spare road...
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
redsonic
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby redsonic » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:35 am

mikesbytes wrote:Unfortunately some don't realise how dangerous a maneuver like that is. I'd put her in the ignorance category rather than the reckless category. Pete correct me if I'm wrong, if a car was turning left there, it would normally be to the left but a truck at that intersection needs more road space to perform the turn. That being the case the cyclists saw a nice wide piece of road to the left of your truck and treated it like a bike lane, the problem being of course is that it wasn't spare road...


As PiratePete stated, there were 10 blinking left turn indicator lights....
And don't get me started on bike lanes at roundabouts :x Maybe you are right, and her experience of poorly placed bike lanes at roundabouts made her think this was OK.

macca33
Posts: 1433
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby macca33 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:08 am

Great patience on you part and what this video does, is very clearly indicate just how limited the vision a heavy vehicle driver has of smaller road users - such as cyclists - despite all their best efforts to move their heavy vehicles around safely.

The cyclist is more than likely very ignorant of the danger she placed herself in and is a common occurrence with people who simply do not appreciate the size of heavy vehicles and the real estate they often need to turn / manouevre on the roads. How often do you see a car stuck halfway along a Dog / Semi trailer, as they ducked up the inside of a turning heavy vehicle - it is a regular occurrence.

Hopefully, this cyclist will take realise their error and alter their riding habits - before it is too late....

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

Image

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18442
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:22 pm

macca33 wrote:Great patience on you part and what this video does, is very clearly indicate just how limited the vision a heavy vehicle driver has of smaller road users - such as cyclists - despite all their best efforts to move their heavy vehicles around safely.

The cyclist is more than likely very ignorant of the danger she placed herself in and is a common occurrence with people who simply do not appreciate the size of heavy vehicles and the real estate they often need to turn / manouevre on the roads. How often do you see a car stuck halfway along a Dog / Semi trailer, as they ducked up the inside of a turning heavy vehicle - it is a regular occurrence.

Hopefully, this cyclist will take realise their error and alter their riding habits - before it is too late....

cheers
I've experienced this myself. A long time ago I was a passenger in a truck, there were 3 of us. At the lights a young lady on a bicycle pulled up beside us and gave us a tongue lashing. None of us 3 had seen her and even after the tongue lashing we still didn't know what we had done wrong. The lesson there is always ride your bike like the other road users haven't seen you
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18442
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:24 pm

redsonic wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Unfortunately some don't realise how dangerous a maneuver like that is. I'd put her in the ignorance category rather than the reckless category. Pete correct me if I'm wrong, if a car was turning left there, it would normally be to the left but a truck at that intersection needs more road space to perform the turn. That being the case the cyclists saw a nice wide piece of road to the left of your truck and treated it like a bike lane, the problem being of course is that it wasn't spare road...


As PiratePete stated, there were 10 blinking left turn indicator lights....
And don't get me started on bike lanes at roundabouts :x Maybe you are right, and her experience of poorly placed bike lanes at roundabouts made her think this was OK.

10 of many reasons not to go up the left of a truck at a roundabout. I'm not saying she should of done it, but analysing the logic behind her error
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28906
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:56 pm

I'll put a fiver on her being a VERY new chum to la vida velo.

Hope she lasts long enough to become old and cynical
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby PiratePete » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:54 pm

mikesbytes wrote:...Pete correct me if I'm wrong, if a car was turning left there, it would normally be to the left but a truck at that intersection needs more road space to perform the turn. That being the case the cyclists saw a nice wide piece of road to the left of your truck and treated it like a bike lane, the problem being of course is that it wasn't spare road...


Nope, single lane roundabout, if a car was going to turn left it would have been queued up behind me. Watch the clip again, I was following another truck and dog, but I was about a foot to the right of it's track.

I cycle through/around this intersection fairly regularly (only a couple of k's from home) and I own the lane as I'm not comfortable with the amount of room to permit (or trust) a car beside me let alone a truck. The cyclist in question would have only had around 1m of space when she came up along side. One can only assume that as she was turning left as well that she was comfortable with the fact that I would be turning too... It blew me away when I watched the footage that when I blast the horn she didn't look at me but instead past the front of the truck through the roundabout. She is completely unaware of the hazard, and the horn didn't alert her to the hazard...

I'm really hoping that someone here recognizes her and can apply a little education for her benefit. I'd happily go for a ride up and down this route (she passed me again that morning about 2km north, but she was on the footpath that time) as I suspect she may be a commuter. That time of the morning is difficult for me as I'm normally at work by then. I did think of stopping down the road and bailing her up, however I could see that being interpreted the wrong way coming from an 'arrogant truckie.' I'd need to flash my lycra suntan to establish some cred. :lol: Another thing which wouldn't have gone down well...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby PiratePete » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:in my car..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. I know some garmin gps auto record if its plugged into the cig lighter with auto start.


Gee, That explains why I only managed to steal one KOM off you - at least I did it on my bicycle...

GPS will be fitted to the truck, now lets see who's the KOM king of Brisbane. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3425
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:18 am

Good luck taking my Mt Glorious descent KOMs in the truck :)

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18442
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:11 am

mmm... she really doesn't see the danger, does she. I'm a bit surprised she didn't look when you hit the horn, perhaps there's a bit of attitude in there.

Hey in Sydney FRF couriers is owned by the president of a 500 member sized bike club and personally I've found truck drivers to be more careful that other road users
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby Tim » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:26 am

Every articulated (and fixed axle I think) truck has this sign on each side of it's rear end, for good reason.
She ignored it.

Image

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby PiratePete » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:45 pm

mikesbytes wrote:... Hey in Sydney FRF couriers is owned by the president of a 500 member sized bike club and personally I've found truck drivers to be more careful that other road users


Good thing this topic isn't in the advocacy area as that comment would unleash a plethora of angry comments... I think that there are good and bad in every form of vehicle genre.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18442
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:40 am

PiratePete wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:... Hey in Sydney FRF couriers is owned by the president of a 500 member sized bike club and personally I've found truck drivers to be more careful that other road users


Good thing this topic isn't in the advocacy area as that comment would unleash a plethora of angry comments... I think that there are good and bad in every form of vehicle genre.

For some the glass is half empty :roll:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:57 am

mikesbytes wrote:mmm... she really doesn't see the danger, does she. I'm a bit surprised she didn't look when you hit the horn, perhaps there's a bit of attitude in there.

Hey in Sydney FRF couriers is owned by the president of a 500 member sized bike club and personally I've found truck drivers to be more careful that other road users


One would hope and expect that heavy vehicle operators are more careful around vulnerable road users than other drivers.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2266
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby silentC » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:17 am

Not in my experience!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:41 am

silentC wrote:Not in my experience!


Nor mine.

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby PiratePete » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:45 pm

biker jk wrote:One would hope and expect that heavy vehicle operators are more careful around vulnerable road users than other drivers.


Really, seriously? Read that statement the other way around. Your suggesting that heavy vehicle operators should be LESS careful around cars, trucks and buses, and should only operate with full care and attention around vulnerable road users...

Referencing this topic and event - Being careful is one thing, having the vulnerable road users putting themselves into a dangerous predicament requiring the heavy vehicle driver to take evasive action to protect the vulnerable road user should not be required. Thus the heavy vehicle driver shouldn't 'need' to provide a greater level of 'care.' At some point we need to take responsibility for our own actions. This event shows that this cyclist needs education, hence my posting it in hope that someone recognizes her and can let her know. The truck driver was attentive and took evasive action to protect the cyclist who illegally passed the turning vehicle.

Don't shoot me on this one as I, more than most people here have suffered the consequences of a less than attentive heavy vehicle driver. For me to question your statement is coming from a very level headed position, and certainly doesn't have any reflection on my occupation. I don't think that there is any room for any operator of any vehicle to be 'more' or 'less' careful, full stop.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Anyone know this cyclist?

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:01 pm

PiratePete wrote:
biker jk wrote:One would hope and expect that heavy vehicle operators are more careful around vulnerable road users than other drivers.


Really, seriously? Read that statement the other way around. Your suggesting that heavy vehicle operators should be LESS careful around cars, trucks and buses, and should only operate with full care and attention around vulnerable road users...

Referencing this topic and event - Being careful is one thing, having the vulnerable road users putting themselves into a dangerous predicament requiring the heavy vehicle driver to take evasive action to protect the vulnerable road user should not be required. Thus the heavy vehicle driver shouldn't 'need' to provide a greater level of 'care.' At some point we need to take responsibility for our own actions. This event shows that this cyclist needs education, hence my posting it in hope that someone recognizes her and can let her know. The truck driver was attentive and took evasive action to protect the cyclist who illegally passed the turning vehicle.

Don't shoot me on this one as I, more than most people here have suffered the consequences of a less than attentive heavy vehicle driver. For me to question your statement is coming from a very level headed position, and certainly doesn't have any reflection on my occupation. I don't think that there is any room for any operator of any vehicle to be 'more' or 'less' careful, full stop.


My point is that heavy vehicle operators need to be more careful around vulnerable road users due to the size of their vehicles relative to passenger cars and the potentially greater likelihood to kill or maim as a result.

I never said the cyclist in your video shouldn't have been riding more safely nor did I question your driving.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users