Camping on Horn Island and Thursday Island...

tmac100

Camping on Horn Island and Thursday Island...

Postby tmac100 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:20 am

Tonight (Doha time) I will call the Cairns airport ground baggage handling office to make sure a Qantas bicycle box can be loaded into the Dash-8 that flies up to Horn island. If affirmative, then I can fly into HI with my gear and take the 2 ferries to Seisia and begin bicycling south to Cairns - for maybe a total of 4 weeks. No rush..

That said, I wonder if there would be any issue with "bush camping" on Horn Island and on Thursday island? Anyone done this?

Resort accommodations are expensive, and if i will be doing bush camping between Seisia and Cairns, then I have to start sometimes

RonK

Re: Camping on Horn Island and Thursday Island...

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Ken - I don't know if there are any issues with bush camping, but maybe the traditional owners of the land would need to be consulted.

Looking at the WikiCamps app, there are camps dotted all the way along the Cape but I can't see any on the islands.

Sounds like you are heading over soon. But won't it be far too wet up there now?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm

I can hear my touring bicycle (in a shed in Gippsland) occasionally calling out to me to be ridden. Early-mid-July is my planned start. I just spoke with the baggage handling staff at Cairns airport and they assure me that the Qantas bicycle box will fit into the Dash-8. Less expensive to fly up to Horn Island than to take the cargo ship.

Kate

Postby Kate » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi, I know this reply is a little late but I was wondering if you managed to find a suitable spot to bushcamp on either Thursday or Horn Island. We are hoping to do something similar in a few days time but are finding it hard to get information. Cheers in advance.