That Dam Ride - Stanthorpe, 12 Feb 2017

Abby

That Dam Ride - Stanthorpe, 12 Feb 2017

Postby Abby » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:21 pm

http://www.thatdamride.com.au/

Thinking of heading out to Stanthorpe and doing the 70k option (there's a 125km & 20km ride as well). Anyoen else thinking about it, or has done it in the past?

Plan at the moment is making it a family weekend. Camping or cabining in the area, should be fun... :-)

Abby

Re: That Dam Ride - Stanthorpe, 12 Feb 2017

Postby Abby » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Would highly recommend this ride for anyone thinking about it for next year!!

I did the 70km course. It started (with a cannon shot - literally!) and finished at Storm King Dam. The course itself wound around the Stanthorpe hinterland (via Ballandean and Glen Aplin). Lovely scenery, including plenty of wineries. A couple of decent hills, although nothing serious, and a beautiful long windy descent into Ballandean.

The local Lions Club gave us a nice fillet steak burger & can of drink at the finish (included in entry), and I had a dip in the Dam afterwards which cooled me off nicely after the unseasonally hot weather.

Great excuse for a sneaky weekend away. :-)

ldrcycles

Re: That Dam Ride - Stanthorpe, 12 Feb 2017

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:22 pm

I did the first Dam ride in 2015. Had a lovely night camping at Storm King Dam the night before, then the ride itself was a cracker, with a national level pro on the front causing all kinds of pain. I had to climb in the window of a town hall to get water when i ran out, and still managed to snag 3rd place. Terribly disappointed not to make it the last 2 years, hopefully i'll be able to get down there again next year.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.