brisbane bike tracks

eliza

brisbane bike tracks

Postby eliza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:48 pm

hey folks,
i'm looking for well-used commuter focused bike tracks in brisbane.
can anyone name/direct some to me?
cheers!
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~James E. Starrs

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:22 pm

No.

Because there are none.

vonhazza

Postby vonhazza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:34 pm

Steve Cruzbike FWD.

eliza

Postby eliza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:53 pm

MountGower wrote:No.

Because there are none.
really? wow, and i thought it was just my area!

eliza

Postby eliza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:57 pm

vonhazza wrote:Hi Eliza is this any help

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_934
hi vonhazza,
thanks but i've come across this before.
the problem was that when i actually followed the "bike tracks" in my area they weren't actually any different to the non-bike tracks, oh, except they were hillier and had more (car) traffic.
go figure?! Confused seems a little illogical!
no signs, no paint, no quaint pictures of bikes on the road.
Say What? is it the same for everyone else?

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:44 pm

not exactly sure what info you are after - or are you just making a statement?

i guess as a bike rider you gotta make yr own tracks. you gotta ride enough and explore enough to find the best and safest and awsmest routes. every weekend i make it a policy to ride a few roads i have never rode before. this helps me get around, see stuff i haven't seen, and push my comfort zone.
just sayin is all.

eliza

Postby eliza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:01 pm

winona_rider wrote: just sayin is all.
sure,

no, not trying to make a statement, just incredibly naiive i guess! i actually thought there would be a couple of routes heading into the cbd.

looking on the bright side maybe all those routes all of you have carved out could be used in the future for bike path policy :D

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:57 am

where abouts do you live eliza - and are you looking for a route from that point to the CBD?

mich rolling

Find busy Brisbane cycleways using cycleway count data.

Postby mich rolling » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Main roads count data for Main Roads cycleways are listed by year at

http://131940.qld.gov.au/Traffic%20Cens ... ensus.aspx

Brisbane City Council (doesn't count) sorry, doesn't publicise bicycle usage data even for the main cycle facilities such as the Bicentennial cycleway parallel to Coronation Drive, the Goodwill Bridge or the Eleanor Schnoell Bridge, strange when you think of how much these facilities cost.

Good thing for CanDo is that if you don't allow Joe Public to realise how popular cycling is than pressure for upgrading facilities is reduced as each rider thinks they are alone.

David Hinchcliffe did get me copies of 2006 single day count data (in October 2006) from the office of Cyclist and Pedestrian Mobility
which showed about 2000 cyclists using the Coro Drive cycleway before noon on weekdays. The Brisbane CBDBUG riders group may have more recent data.

BCC had a program to install automated counters widely after testing the counters on the Normandy tunnel under College Road. Nothing further on this has been heard since about April or May.

baarg

Postby baarg » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Eliza

If you still live in Sunnybank hills according to your location in your name there, I know a route you can take to the cbd. I live in Calamvale and I commute to work.
Don't know exactly where you're at, but although it took me a while to figure out there are ways to go that are reasonable safe. If you take Jackson road, turn right on Lang street, left to stones road, cross beinleigh road, keep going one block roughly and you'll find sunnybank station, you cross the tracks, but do it on the path so you turn left on breton keep going on breton, you'll see banoon station on your left, keep going on throughton all the way down to kessells, cross kessells road and brace yourself to climb the griffith road hill (AT) the griffith uni campus, at the top, turn right on ring road, then university road and you will hit klump road, there you get on the bikeway to gaza road, keep going on the sidewalk, cross all the lights and there's more bikeway, although pretty crappy, just follow the bike signs and be careful, I got lost many times and gave up and came back, but it's worth trying. You'll be going on a safe bikeway (although a bit crappy) all the way to the city. When you get to Buranda/Stones corner there are a few detours, but it's relatively well signaled.
I'll try to post this route on bikely. But I never seem able to figure out how to draw on google maps!
Anyway, I hope this helps, if you look at the streets on a map, you'll see clearer. Trust me though, roughly from this area there aren't any other options. Unless you're riding from the other side, in which case you'd be better off taking gowan road, although I prefer Jackson quite frankly, there's less traffic and it's reasonably wide...plus you do get used to it after a while.
Good luck.

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Hey, I'm not in Sunnybank but there's a path from Sunnybank hills to CBD on bikely which I apparently can't link to as this is my first post. Shouldn't be a problem though as the site is easy to find and navigate. (Am I allowed to say what I have moderators? Don't want to step on any toes)

I think mostly in Brisbane you just have to tough it out on normal roads. :?

eliza

Postby eliza » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:38 pm

hi,
sorry from being vacant from the post i started!
thanks for all the good advice.
i was actually hoping to find a route just so i could put up some critical mass fliers.

anyways, the other day i got stuck in annerley and managed to find my way home, and, i guess, the s.e. freeway bikeway?! man, i don't know why they had to stick it with concrete and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! cars next to it but i guess it gets one from a-b?!

anyways, i dont know how to draw on google maps either but it would be cool to get a post started and get everyones diy routes up here to share!
or is that what this "bikely" is about?

oh, and brisboy, yes, say whatever you want to/about the moderators!
the first post i made ended up being a massive ahem, discussion, with "supermod" kalgrm :lol:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Eliza,

Bikely is for the DIY routes. I use it to plan rides, verify distances. I'm sure you will find the route you are looking for.

baarg

Postby baarg » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:16 pm

BrisBoy wrote:Hey, I'm not in Sunnybank but there's a path from Sunnybank hills to CBD on bikely which I apparently can't link to as this is my first post. Shouldn't be a problem though as the site is easy to find and navigate. (Am I allowed to say what I have moderators? Don't want to step on any toes)

I think mostly in Brisbane you just have to tough it out on normal roads. :?
Hi Brisboy. I am interested in an alternative route where I could avoid going through Greenslopes/Annerley area; it floods and the bikeway is a bit broken. Pass on the link, I don't see why moderators would object to it.
About toughing it up; I'm afraid that if you live in Calamvale/Algester, etc; you can go on normal roads of course, but not the routes that have the shortest access to the CBD; for example, if you live in Calamvale, it would be only about 16km to get to South Bank travelling via Mains Road; but that is just suicide and instead have to take the alternative routes which add an extra 8km to avoid being ran over.

baarg

Postby baarg » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:26 pm

eliza wrote:hi,
sorry from being vacant from the post i started!
thanks for all the good advice.
i was actually hoping to find a route just so i could put up some critical mass fliers.

anyways, the other day i got stuck in annerley and managed to find my way home, and, i guess, the s.e. freeway bikeway?! man, i don't know why they had to stick it with concrete and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! cars next to it but i guess it gets one from a-b?!

anyways, i dont know how to draw on google maps either but it would be cool to get a post started and get everyones diy routes up here to share!
or is that what this "bikely" is about?

oh, and brisboy, yes, say whatever you want to/about the moderators!
the first post i made ended up being a massive ahem, discussion, with "supermod" kalgrm :lol:
Hmm, !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! cars? Not sure where youmean? The SE bikeway (re)starts in Klump rd where the buses turn and cars keep going; that part is ok actually; it's always full of branches and leaves, but that's about it. Once it finishes though, you can go on the path (shared) but I just get on the road until marshall road (there's a service station) where you gotta cross the lights and get on the sidewalk, no choice; there's where in my opinion gets awful; it zig zags a bit and is quite hilly, which would be fine if the bikeway was not made of concrete which is kind of broken and crap. Anyway; it's all like that until Stones Corner/Buranda where it's not as bad. You can put flyers around there; there're plenty of commuters travelling every day.