B2B 160km Route info

PiratePete

B2B 160km Route info

Postby PiratePete » Tue May 09, 2017 10:14 am

Hey Folks,

On Saturday I rode the 2017 B2B 160km route to take a look at it, primarily as most of the climbing is in the latter third and I wanted to get a feel for the appropriate pace to ensure that come the day I don't bonk due to bad planning.

Overall I loved the route, so much more scenic than the 100, and a real mix of environments. Road surfaces are mostly good, some 'cobbles' in Redland Bay, and plenty of chip seal, but overall good on sensible tyres.

What I didn't like was being routed along Moreton Bay Arterial Road between Capalaba and Chandler. Thankfully it appears that on the 20th of April the organisers modified the route on RWGPS to go the traditional way through Capalaba (you will see the way I went on the B2B route link below). Shame I grabbed the route before then...

Traffic through Capalaba was just as bad as it always was.

The other potential hazard is on Mt Petrie Rd, BE AWARE OF THIS ONE! After making the climb (Strava segment - Mt Petrie Rd Hill), halfway down the descent we turn left into Greendale Way. Solo this was fine, I flew down the hill grabbed a handful of hydro disc brake and swung left. In a group, well lets just say that if the person in front of you can out brake you, or wants to go slower around the corner when you weren't expecting that, things could get ugly. The turn comes up rapidly.

Besides this now one potential issue the route is good, at no point did I feel un-easy or un-safe. If planning on riding this route (not on the day of the event), I didn't come across any tap water after the Redland Rest point, through to the park on Meadowlands Rd Carindale, so top up at Redland Bay. On the event day there will be two rest stops in between these locations so even if you only had one bidon you should be OK.

Plan for a bit of a slog, there was a southerly blowing on Saturday, this is normal particularly through winter and this route has us riding much further south than the 100. The hills were just that, but nothing really to write home about. They look worse on the elevation pane of RWGPS than they did from the saddle. But I personally will be pacing myself early in the ride rather than chasing the motorcycle. I feel that unless your a regular double century rider that you will tire and it will be when you hit the hills. My stats on the day total average speed of 27.4kmh and I did just over 200km. The 160km course as ridden was more like 157km. My normal pace is around 30-32.5kmh on the flats, the average speed achieved on Saturday isn't abnormally slow for me while taking in the sights and navigating somewhere new. To compare, I averaged 35.1kmh on last years #B2GC

If your unsure as to whether you can cope with the distance, the best news is that you can avoid the worst 30km of climbing by simply following the 100 course from Chandler to Meadowlands Rd, a distance of about 5km.

Here is the ride as mapped on the B2B website:

http://www.brissietothebay.com.au/image ... _160km.jpg

Here is the official course map on RWGPS:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17984476

And lastly here is the route that I've created, with Cues optimised for Wahoo ELEMNT/BOLT:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19702077

This is the file which I used on my ELEMNT, I've updated it to include the new modifications to the route, being the avoidance of Collins Rd in favour of the bike path option at Redland Bay, and the new (err old) way through Capalaba. With exception to these two modifications the file has been test ridden so I feel it can be relied upon.

I enjoyed this one so much that I've added it to the list of routes for when I get a day pass from family events. I has a lot to offer for recreational ride.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Abby

Re: B2B 160km Route info

Postby Abby » Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks Pete!

I'm signed up for the 100km this year. Have never done an imperial century before, so might give your route a crack later in the year... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed May 10, 2017 5:07 pm

I've just discovered the relive.cc website, here was my ride from Saturday:

https://www.relive.cc/view/979234460
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

billy70

Postby billy70 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:13 pm

I just signed up for this based on your route review Pete. Here's hoping for good weather!

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:46 pm

billy70 wrote: Here's hoping for good weather!
Shhh, don't jinx it...

Though that said the numbers were well down last year due to the crap weather and it was more pleasant than the huge numbers in 2015.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:08 am

Had a laugh when I opened up the rider pack this morning to see that the 99 Bikes voucher expired in April 2017...

BTW the official route was modified again on June 11. I have just updated my version to reflect the changes. Basically they have included the full loop around to Queens Esp at Thornside, have removed the bikepath section in favour of the original route along Collins rd at Redland Bay but now put us on a bike path between Old Cleveland Rd and Meadowlands Rd.

The distance added by the Thornside loop has been lost with the other modifications, the 160 now sits at 156.6km. Links in my original post.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for the insights Pete, I signed up on your recommendation and had an awesome day!

QDogg

Postby QDogg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:12 pm

What a cracking day for a cracking ride!
My first time for an imperial century. I swear, one more hill and I was gonna lose it. :D

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 pm

QDogg wrote:What a cracking day for a cracking ride!
Certainly was!

I got a 'top fundraiser' txt, so I managed to lead the ride from the start to Coorparoo where I was finally overtaken. Frustrating when you stick to your pace plan...But, I guess I wouldn't have done so well later if I cooked myself to keep the lead.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:33 pm

PiratePete wrote:I've just discovered the relive.cc website, here was my ride from Saturday:

https://www.relive.cc/view/979234460
Thanks for posting.