Wynnum to Southbank

Danot7

Wynnum to Southbank

Postby Danot7 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:47 pm

Hello

I had cancer last year and lost a lot of fitness, and have decided to start cycling as a way to get my fitness back up.

Being a novice, I am nervous about cycling on busy roads.

Can you please help me figure out the best way to get from Federation Street in Wynnum West, to 32 Cordelia Street in South Brisbane?

I'm happy to go further to avoid busy roads.

Also, am after solutions on how to handle the what to wear to work thing. Does anyone use a laundry company that picks up and delivers clothes washed and ironed?

Anyone know any places in SouthBank or South Brisbane that have end of trip facilities?

Thanks

Abby

Re: Wynnum to Southbank

Postby Abby » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 am

https://cyclingbrisbane.com.au/route-pl ... 8/153.0836

The first half of the ride ispretty straight forward according to the jurney planner. Once you hit Bennett's Rd though, there are a few options available depending on what you prefer (you can zoom in on them using the map) - so the planner uses the Norman Creek Greenway then sends you to the V1, whereas I'd be tempted to turn onto Deshon St instead and follow the onroad lanes to Stanley St. ALternatively way back at Bennetts Rd, you could follow it all the way to the end and turn right onto Old Cleveland Rd and follow that in (although you'd want to be comfortable in traffic for that route).

At any rate - give them all a try and see what you think... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 pm

Regarding clothes - in the warm weather, you will only be able to wear cycling-type gear for a commute of that length. I would take a few hangers of clothes to work on the days I couldn't cycle (too much to carry, unpredictable finish, school run et al) and leave them where I could get changed. No need for a laundry.

And that's a solid commute for a novice.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 am

I have cycled the way that Abby mentioned.. no issues. Wynnum Rd to Manly Rd you can ride on the foot path if you are not comfortable on the road, although outbound has a bit of room. The rest of Wynnum road is ok and I never bipassed Morningside shops but then I am confident all the way down Wynnum Rd. Coming back just watch out for traffic cutting across Wynnum Rd going down side streets coming up to the Colmslie ... I have been T-boned there so always looking out.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:01 pm

cancan64 wrote:I have cycled the way that Abby mentioned.. no issues. Wynnum Rd to Manly Rd you can ride on the foot path if you are not comfortable on the road, although outbound has a bit of room. The rest of Wynnum road is ok and I never bipassed Morningside shops but then I am confident all the way down Wynnum Rd. Coming back just watch out for traffic cutting across Wynnum Rd going down side streets coming up to the Colmslie ... I have been T-boned there so always looking out.
You escaped to Auckland and ride in the rain you crazy ba$+@rd ;)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:33 am

darkelf921 wrote:You escaped to Auckland and ride in the rain you crazy ba$+@rd ;)
Its Auckland...you have to ride in the rain or not at all... Drivers here are bad drivers compared to Brisbane...they just do dumb things and no police so road rules don't apply (had so many near hits because I stopped at a stop sign and no one else does) although rare to get an aggressive driver which is common in Brisbane... and I am about to go 2 months in a row without being hit by someone...a first since I moved here
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:53 pm

cancan64 wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:You escaped to Auckland and ride in the rain you crazy ba$+@rd ;)
Its Auckland...you have to ride in the rain or not at all... Drivers here are bad drivers compared to Brisbane...they just do dumb things and no police so road rules don't apply (had so many near hits because I stopped at a stop sign and no one else does) although rare to get an aggressive driver which is common in Brisbane... and I am about to go 2 months in a row without being hit by someone...a first since I moved here

Okay, that is just crazy.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel