Tradie versus cyclists, who's in the wrong?

biker jk

Tradie versus cyclists, who's in the wrong?

Postby biker jk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:45 pm

GOLD Coast cyclists have been labelled a “law unto themselves” and “inconsiderate” after a group were caught on dashcam blocking motorists while riding along a prestigious Gold Coast street.

Carpenter Matt Dennis said his frustration with the cyclists reached boiling point after he was stuck behind a group of six on Hedges Avenue at Broadbeach about 5.30am yesterday.

The dashcam footage shows a group of cyclists riding three-abreast in the vehicle lane rather than the dedicated cycling lane.

It resulted in a fiery clash with Mr Dennis beeping the cyclists, yelling at them to ‘get in the cycle lane’ and calling them a ‘bunch of f**ktards’.

Full article and video in link below.

https://goo.gl/TSidba

It's behind a paywall so you can Google 'Bunch of f**ktards': Cyclists, motorist in fiery clash on Gold Coast to access the article/video.

bychosis

Re: Tradie versus cyclists, who's in the wrong?

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Video not playing for me, but from the images in the 'article' appears they were not riding three abreast. Also if in a bunch they were surely doing very close to the speed limit of 30km/h. Tradie seems to have some anger/time management issues.

As for 'who was in the wrong'. No idea, wasn't there.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 pm

It's a bit like my mate yesterday. He was behind me for about 9 seconds, which is how long it takes me to ride the 120m he was there for. He would have done it in 7 if I wasn't there, so net cost to his journey is 2 seconds. But he experiences the full 9 seconds of rage and feels like I've held him up for a lifetime because that's how long he wasn't able to go at the speed he wanted to.

I like the comment from the guy "who are they to tell me how fast I want to drive".
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Based on the footage shown, the cyclists could have easily moved over to let the person past.

He was a goose getting that upset, but at the same time, the cyclists weren't real smart.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:16 pm

On google earth you can clearly see that the "bike lane" that is on the right of those riders has arrows indicating it is for bike travelling the other way. Those riders were using the road as it was intended and if the guy in his car can't just join in the traffic like everyone else then maybe he should not be driving at all.

In the vid, at 27seconds, and again at 33 seconds you can see the arrow next to the bike logo on the road.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:41 pm

jindydiver wrote:On google earth you can clearly see that the "bike lane" that is on the right of those riders has arrows indicating it is for bike travelling the other way. Those riders were using the road as it was intended and if the guy in his car can't just join in the traffic like everyone else then maybe he should not be driving at all.

In the vid, at 27seconds, and again at 33 seconds you can see the arrow next to the bike logo on the road.
Yes, I think what confused the driver is that there is a bi-directional bicycle lane earlier in Hedges Ave.

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:14 am

I grabbed this screenshot to show someone who was complaining about 'those bloody cyclists on the Gold Coast'.

"They didn't mention it on the news" he said.

"Of course they didn't" I said.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:11 am

Ah Queensland , "Beautiful one day , Queensland the next."

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:14 am

silentC wrote:I grabbed this screenshot to show someone who was complaining about 'those bloody cyclists on the Gold Coast'.

"They didn't mention it on the news" he said.

"Of course they didn't" I said.
Yikes, looks like a debacle all round - are there many cyclists brave enough to ride against the flow with nothing to protect you but a bit of paint?

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:25 am

I'd call that a photo of riding 4 abreast. I always ride single file as I believe too many motorists get angry, the technicalities in law do not displace street reality.

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:32 am

I see three rows of two abreast.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:40 am

Andrew09 wrote:I see three rows of two abreast.
So do I. The article referred to the group riding three abreast which is wrong, let along the claim of four abreast. The only fault I can see is that one rider is wider than the maximum 1.5 metre separation permitted.

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:48 am

Yup definitely three rows of two. Girl in pink is slightly wider than fore and aft, I reckon it's a line call if she's too wide, and bunches are a dynamic thing anyway.

Obviously the intention there is to provide a way for bicycle progress north and south whilst maintaining the one way for cars. Bicycles travelling with the traffic can use the traffic lane.

I can just imagine some potential head ons there if you have a bunch of cyclists like that travelling in the traffic lane and old mate tradie gets impatient, crosses the paintwork and into a bunch going the other way in the cycle lane.
- Me

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:58 am

It's a matter of perception. When I am on someone's wheel I am no more than a few centimetres to either side and behind.

Whatever, I almost never have nasty encounters with motorists.

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm

I think it would require hypothetical trans dimensional geometry to draw a straight line between any 4 of those 6 riders...
- Me

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:46 pm

silentC wrote:I think it would require hypothetical trans dimensional geometry to draw a straight line between any 4 of those 6 riders...
Ah , the old HTDG. Of course!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:06 pm

silentC wrote:Obviously the intention there is to provide a way for bicycle progress north and south whilst maintaining the one way for cars. Bicycles travelling with the traffic can use the traffic lane.

I can just imagine some potential head ons there if you have a bunch of cyclists like that travelling in the traffic lane and old mate tradie gets impatient, crosses the paintwork and into a bunch going the other way in the cycle lane.
It also looks like there is no parking on the side for motorised traffic, and cars are required to cross the cycle lane to park. What numbnuts designed that?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

A_P

Postby A_P » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Hedges use to be a two way st, a very narrow rat run with a skinny footpath.
Now its a one way st with a bi-directional bike lane.
Works well most of the time.
If your northbound , at the end you have to leave the bike lane and merge to the lefthand side of the car lane .
Mornings and afternoons the bike lane is full of walkers, joggers and pram pushers.
Safer larger bunches to use the carlane, and its only a 30 zone

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:58 pm

OK, so it is bi-directional up to here:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-28.037 ... 6656?hl=en

Then cyclists are required to go across into the left lane:

- Me

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:47 pm

silentC wrote:OK, so it is bi-directional up to here:

You can see in this picture that the bikes on the road are in orange. Doesn't that signify that bikes are able to ride both ways between the orange lines (obviously staying left). The sign in this pic is pointing out that from there on (if travelling North) you are not allowed to ride on the right hand side.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 pm

A_P wrote:Hedges use to be a two way st, a very narrow rat run with a skinny footpath.
Now its a one way st with a bi-directional bike lane.
Works well most of the time.
If your northbound , at the end you have to leave the bike lane and merge to the lefthand side of the car lane .
Mornings and afternoons the bike lane is full of walkers, joggers and pram pushers.
Safer larger bunches to use the carlane, and its only a 30 zone
+1 on that
Its flat and on a bicycle you have to watch so you don't exceed the speed limit, what to speak law abiding anger prone tradies.
Despite the numerous "bicycle only" signs it is not uncommon to be clogged up with all sorts of other pedestrian traffic at a ratio of about 10:1 .... much like cigarette smoking at bus stops underneath the signs cautioning fines, its one of those things that has a history of enforcement of about zero.
Go!Run!GAH!

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:16 pm

The orange/yellow lines are to indicate no stopping as far as I know? I think the yellow bicycle indicates 'share' and white means 'bicycle only'. I don't think either of them is mandatory, but I guess you'd be pretty dumb to ride southbound in the traffic lane...

That image is looking south and the second one is looking north. My read of it is that the bicycle lane is bi-directional up to the 'END' sign, at which point northbound cyclists using that cycle lane are expected to cross to the left lane.

I read somewhere this morning that a police spokesperson has indicated the cyclists were using the road correctly, so it's just another motorist having a whinge.
- Me

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:44 pm

silentC wrote: so it's just another motorist having a whinge.
Especially given there's a four lane highway about 50m to the east.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Thoglette wrote:
silentC wrote: so it's just another motorist having a whinge.
Especially given there's a four lane highway about 50m to the east.
To the west.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:49 pm

biker jk wrote:To the west.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ