Tradie versus cyclists, who's in the wrong?

Cheesewheel

Re: Tradie versus cyclists, who's in the wrong?

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:00 pm

This false dichotomy is starting to become increasingly apparent in news articles like this :

"What if I was in the middle of a medical emergency, having to deliver a vaccine to the united nations to prevent a zombie apocalypse outbreak and this pesky cyclists are riding two abreast for recreational purposes?

First point : the only medical emergency they are likely to have been involved in during the past 5 years is trying to get to the bottle shop before it closes

Second point : Since when has the purpose of individuals on the roads every been an issue in determining right of passage? Was there a precedent for Sunday drivers and tourists to face a diminished right to be on the road in the presence of tradies on their way to work before the whole issue of cyclists became newsworthy?
Go!Run!GAH!

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 pm

You get similar lines of argument from truck drivers etc. the road is their workplace, therefore they have more right to use it. Sorry no...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Unfortunately...

It's a simple fact that most Australians turn into sociopaths as soon as they get into a car. That probably goes for most cyclists as soon as they get behind a wheel also - Everyone going faster than them is a maniac and everyone going slower is an idiot, and apparently no one else knows the rules of the road.

It's cultural.

Matt Dennis unfortunately has a double dose of stupidity and hatred to go along with it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 am

silentC wrote:Image
ERMAGERD!1!!1!!! They are riding FIVE abreast! I know this because I can see 5 hemlets clearly!!!1!!
Thoglette wrote: Especially given there's a four lane highway about 50m to the eastWest.
There may well be but ol hiviz hero don't like the fact that it's only moving at 50 with morning traffic while his minimum ratrun speed is 70...

Maybe a Plod speed enforcement session at that time would be interesting...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 pm

biker jk wrote:GOLD Coast cyclists have been labelled a “law unto themselves” and “inconsiderate” after a group were caught on dashcam blocking motorists while riding along a prestigious Gold Coast street.

Carpenter Matt Dennis said his frustration with the cyclists reached boiling point after he was stuck behind a group of six on Hedges Avenue at Broadbeach about 5.30am yesterday.

The dashcam footage shows a group of cyclists riding three-abreast in the vehicle lane rather than the dedicated cycling lane.

It resulted in a fiery clash with Mr Dennis beeping the cyclists, yelling at them to ‘get in the cycle lane’ and calling them a ‘bunch of f**ktards’.

Full article and video in link below.

https://goo.gl/TSidba

It's behind a paywall so you can Google 'Bunch of f**ktards': Cyclists, motorist in fiery clash on Gold Coast to access the article/video.
in this age of road rage, punishment passes and bad driving. it'd be refreshing if the reporting put some focus on the danger of a motorist "reaching boiling point", an obvious safety concern. Should the driver be entitled to continue to drive? It's not like someone stole his car or bashed his kids.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Maybe a Plod speed enforcement session at that time would be interesting...
In my opinion, the authorities do care about the number of deaths on the road and would like to reduce it. Over the years, the number of road deaths has dropped, due to a whole bunch of factors including better designed roads, better car safety - passive and active, and education campaigns/blitzes on drink-driving and so on.

In situations like this bit of road I can see that the next logical step is to put in speed bumps. They've already turned this bit of road from a tight two lanes to a single lane. They've reduced the speed limit to 30. They could have Mr Plod there with his radar gun. Or more cheaply, they could install speed bumps at either end which will slow cars down 24/7.

I can see that speed bumps will become more and more popular.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Along the same stretch of road (article can be accessed by google)

Gold Coast cyclists claim mystery runner attacks riders on Hedges Ave

A GOLD Coast cyclist has captured a runner lunging at him on a morning ride in what he describes as a violent attack, where he was ‘charged at’ and ‘punched’.

Today a frustrated cyclist took to the ‘Gold Coast Cycling Combined’ Facebook page to warn others about the man.

Nick Hortovanyi posted about 8.30am, “Today I had this guy charge me and punch me quite hard when I was cycling along Hedges Av this morning. Its (sic) not the first time”.

[img]
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1ce5 ... ?width=650[/img]
Go!Run!GAH!

A_P

Postby A_P » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:11 am

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:16 am

Good news,.... would be interesting to see if the incident prompts authorities to somehow enforce the bicycle only patronage of the path (you can see the no pedestrian symbol behind the bicycle symbol in the picture) .... but somehow I am not holding my breath ....
Go!Run!GAH!

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:02 pm

I think this was a case of a slow news day. If you watch the video, the group was definitely two abreast, but the formation was compromised when the person driving the car started honking his horn. Understandably so.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram