Route from Blackbutt or Wulkuraka to gold coast via Condimine gorge and Killarney

cancan64

Route from Blackbutt or Wulkuraka to gold coast via Condimine gorge and Killarney

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:58 am

With a change to my christmas plans I now have some time to kill over christmas in Brisbane so thought I will go bikepacking.

Plan to see my parents in Goomborian and then cycle to brother on Gold Coast. First stage is easy, back roads to Kilkiven and then jump on the rail trail to Black Butt or keep going to Wulkuraka if views are worth while... then thought of the Bicentennial national trail although trying to find GPX routes is proving difficult... would also like to slip in Condimine gorge and the rabbit proof fence looks fun hence I thought go to Killarney and then gold coast or possibly direct back to Brisbane subject to when I can change my flight back to Auckland...again.

basically want gravel or tracks where possible but if possible after gpx files or route options as I have a habit of making wrong turns a lot.... any advice most welcome... will possibly only have 4 or so days but comfortable doing 250+ days...
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RonK

Re: Route from Blackbutt or Wulkuraka to gold coast via Condimine gorge and Killarney

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 am

Probably the best resource for rides around SEQ is Neil Ennis Musings blog. But be warned, some of the routes he tackles are fairly difficult. No GPS tracks but you could contact Neil for more information.

Here's his ride through the Condamine Gorge.

Also David Renton recently road a short loop through those parts. A short Slowtour of the Darling Downs. This has inspired me to maybe doing something similar at Xmas if the weather is not too hot. You could easily join his route from the BVRT.

Not sure why David chose that route from Gatton to Pilton - I've would have stayed on the Gatton - Clifton Road. I've ridden many times on a moto and bicycle and there is really one short climb just after crossing Heifer Creek. The Cunningham Classic Cycle race is ridden on the route every year.

I've also been thinking about the route from Gympie across to the South Burnett Rail Trail, then through the Bunya Mountains to join up with the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail at Yarraman. My plan would be to get the train to Gympie and home from Ipswich, but you won't be far away at Goomborian.

Last Xmas I set out on a loop from Beerburrum planning to ride up to Kilcoy then Jimna, Manumbar and Elgin Vale to the head of the Brisbane River, then down the river road through Mt Stanley to join the BVRT at Linville. I only got as far as Kilcoy in extreme heat and pulled out back to Caboolture. I've since decided this loop would be better ridden the other direction. My RWGPS Route is here.

Since you've spent the last year or so in NZ you may find the temps difficult to endure.

Are you still planning to tackle the Tour Aotearoa?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Re: Route from Blackbutt or Wulkuraka to gold coast via Condimine gorge and Killarney

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks Ronk

I found some motorbike routes as well which all seem to align with the bicycle ones that I have found... Have a route sorted but need to check them all again and Killarney to rabbit fence then back to Kyogle needs a bit of work... have road to Gold Coast and and motorbike track to Brisbane which I need to check as well.
Heat is a worry, was always a worry when I lived in Brisbane which is most of my life...its humid here at the moment but still only mid 20's.
I start the TA in 26 Feb... this will be my last gear shakedown... The other weekend I hade a brevet which was Rotorua to Waikato river trail... follow TA route to end of timber trail then across to the coast and up to Raglan and the Hamilton where I bailed but Brevet went back to rotorua... big learning curve but some geat views, and rode the Timber Trail at night which was interesting
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Another blog page I discovered recently is Philip Norris' Norris Files.

Here Philip describes the ride from Killarney to the Cullendore. I was also considering this route as well until I read Philip's comment that would be exposed and sweltering in the middle of summer. But there are some stunning pics in his blog.

Bicentennial National Trail: Killarney to Cullendore Border Gate

I think I rode part of this section some years ago during an enduro out of Killarney. I distinctly recall riding along the border fence. Crashed the next day near Legume and broke a collarbone when a loop of fencing wire protruding from a pile of old fence posts snagged my gear lever and I went over the bars.

I put Google Maps in walking mode initially to find a route from Cullendore to Kyogle

See also Philip's posts about sections of the BNT he has ridden between Blackbutt to Killarney.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 am

So courses so far are:

Goomboorian to Widgee
Widgee to Kilkivan via unrestored rail line

rail trails to Wulkuraka

Wulkuraka to Aratula
Aratula to Killarney (Via Condimine gorge)
Killarney to Kyogle (Via rabbit proof fence)

Unsure on next stage have 2 options to get from Kyogle to GC
Kyogle to GC 1
Kyogle to GC 2

Then I need to get back to Brisbane

Other option is to go from Brisbane to parents and then ride back (cant get hold of brother on GC yet) so that will be Brisbane to Kyogle and reverse Kyogle to Goomboorian and then Goomboorian to Brisbane

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:49 pm

I thought you wanted gravel? Not much of that on your route from Killarney to Kyogle. I've ridden all those roads by moto - White Swamp Road is gravel and a little bit of the Mt Lindesay Hwy may still be unsealed before Woodenbong. Nonetheless it's very scenic through there and down the Summerland Way.

I'd choose the route through Chillingham and the Numinbah Valley in preference to Tomewin and the Currumbin Valley, but you'll be up for some climbing either way. I suppose the choice may depend on where on the Gold Coast you're headed.

That seems an awful lot of backtracking on the return to Brisbane. It is a nice ride through the Border Ranges NP. The Lions Road is actually closed for bridgework but this couple got through a couple of weeks ago. You will have to practice your HAB technique.

NSW & QLD Border Loop and The Sunshine Coast & Hinterland

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:26 pm

All of these routes sound awesome, but man they are all going to suck if the temps at Chrissie approach anything like last year.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:10 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:All of these routes sound awesome, but man they are all going to suck if the temps at Chrissie approach anything like last year.
Too right - as already noted I only got as far as Kilcoy last Xmas, bailed out and went home. The temps were not much short of 40C. A few days later a moto rider died from heat stroke in the Beerburrum State Forest.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:53 pm

The climb to the Head is very solid. The cold beer and dinner at the Killarney pub make it worth it.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:00 am

I have placed my order in for cooler weather.... and have the option to go to friends or family if need be since it has been over a year living in a colder climate. I will have 3 bottles plus a 2lt bladder in frame bag and can carry another 2 bottles in feed bags if required.
Unsure where my brother is living now on the GC but he was by Dreamworld when I left Brissie so presuming he is still up that end...forgot to ask on the weekend... I am re routing the leg back to Brisbane from GC. I have 2 to 3 days to get there so trying to make it as interesting as possible. was hoping if I pick back roads then they may be gravel but if it is warm I may just go direct from GC to Brissie and hang out until my flight

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:28 am

Something to consider if you are going to camp - the Condamine Gorge and Spring Creek are very popular holiday spots and there are likely to be many campers there.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:12 pm

What type of bike are you riding? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:54 am

Using a Trek Boone CX bike. I fly over Saturday, ride the Buderim 9 next morning and then have a few days to switch wheels and put all the bikepacking gear back on.
Have just had the set up changed due to a bike fit and the frame is a bit to big so trying to come up with options for a better fitting bike to replace this and commuter which is bigger again... have only done 20,000 km on both of them

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 am

cancan64 wrote:Have just had the set up changed due to a bike fit and the frame is a bit to big so trying to come up with options for a better fitting bike to replace this and commuter which is bigger again... have only done 20,000 km on both of them.
Get a Fargo. Will be much better on the TA.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:02 pm

RonK wrote:Get a Fargo. Will be much better on the TA.
I have had a look at the fargo... Only purple one available here and then not until next year
I like the Ti but getting up in money and I want to get rid of all my bikes and just have 1 for all jobs (commute/bikepacking and road)

So far looking at new Curve Grovel CXR which I can get before TA but I will need new wheels as mine are all QR so dollars add up a lot if I replace like for like

Other option is a custom made steel frame. I have seen this bike and at the time thought it was a perfect mix of my 2 most used bikes but cant get the frame until after TA although cant really afford it until after TA anyhow

Will see how I pull up this month... chances are I will ride what I have, the last Gravel ride was the first time I have had issues although also first time I have spent 13hrs in the saddle and it was a tough day

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:40 pm

cancan64 wrote:
RonK wrote:Get a Fargo. Will be much better on the TA.
I have had a look at the fargo... Only purple one available here and then not until next year
I like the Ti but getting up in money and I want to get rid of all my bikes and just have 1 for all jobs (commute/bikepacking and road)

So far looking at new Curve Grovel CXR which I can get before TA but I will need new wheels as mine are all QR so dollars add up a lot if I replace like for like

Other option is a custom made steel frame. I have seen this bike and at the time thought it was a perfect mix of my 2 most used bikes but cant get the frame until after TA although cant really afford it until after TA anyhow

Will see how I pull up this month... chances are I will ride what I have, the last Gravel ride was the first time I have had issues although also first time I have spent 13hrs in the saddle and it was a tough day
Since I picked up a second set of wheels on special and fitted them with road tyres I've pretty much settled on the Fargo now and use it for everything. I'm also considering selling off the rest of my bikes.

I've looked at the Grovel but it's bit low in the front compared to the Fargo. I reckon a higher front and aerobars is the way to go for the TA.

See if you can get a Bombtrack Beyond. The geometry is virtually identical to the Fargo, so much so it's basically a copy.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 am

Why the does the Fargo have such a long fork? Wouldn't it better if the fork legs where shorter allowing a longer head tube allowing a larger frame bag?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Presumably too late now (only just saw this thread), but be warned that the Gympie Council section of the KKRT (from Kilkivan to Murgon) is absolutely atrocious. A mate and I rode it a month or 2 ago on 700x38 shod touring/cyclocross bikes and many sections were basically unrideable, due to incredibly deep sand or huge rocks or occasionally both. IMO it should not be open until the surface has been brought up to an acceptable standard.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Plans ended up changing a bit... My parents breed race horses and my mother got caught between a mare and the stable which in turn broke 11 ribs, collar bone and a fair bit more damage.

In the end I spent more time with them and just cycled from Kilkiven to Wulkuraka and then to Redcliffe.

The KKRT was rough at the start and a pity they didnt utilise the bridges but I did like having pubs nect to the track to recarb... 2nd half was sealed so boring...thought about jumping the fence and riding on the road.
BVRT was a nice ride, some excellent sections. All up a good couple of days and have the rest to do another day

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:36 pm

Not good about your mum, hope she has a good recovery. Biting the hand that feeds is just the start with those damn horses!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:19 am

I've worked with livestock and understand the injuries they can cause just by something simple as leaning on you. Hope your mum recovers well.