Gold Coast Ride Groups.

Marty Moose

Gold Coast Ride Groups.

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Coming over to the Gold Coast for a few weeks, can anyone suggest ride groups in and around the area? Coming from Perth so I have no idea of whats rides are around. Prefer a friendly group that can show me around rather than a smash fest, being dropped and having to rely on my Garmin to limp home. Please post away with time and locations

Cheers
MM

Usernoname

Re: Gold Coast Ride Groups.

Postby Usernoname » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:50 am

Most shops have morning rides, mainly weekend - https://www.facebook.com/toplinecycles/ ... intro_card https://www.facebook.com/justridenerang?fref=ts
Some private others https://www.facebook.com/groups/539857539403665/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/603861543095284/
There are lots of small groups out in the morning all over the coast, hopefully some might be on this site and let you know.
Sundays arn't too bad for later rides, but traffic does not play nice in general. My two preferred road rides from home (Southport) are out to Hinze dam (cafe) 45k return and up to Coomera (stopping for coffee and way back). 50-60k. Also up to Beechmont for hills / climbing. The climb up from Canungra to O'Riellys is popular too.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 am

I'm heading up there on Friday :mrgreen: for 8 days. Did some nice rides along coast and in the hills.

One thing though, in the hills, the Qld road people aren't afraid of making REALLY steep inclines !!

Don't know if you like the hills, but the ride to the Binna Burra lookout was great.

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi MM,

Crazy amount of groups on the GC doing heapsof rides. Most quite friendly.

Jup on Facebook and message Bubba's Bikelab (they are welcoming to visitors), Southern Gold Coast Cycling, and GC Rouleurs. Also the Gold Coast Cycling Combine page is a good resource as well.

Of course, you could just rollout any morning and you'll see multiple bunches out there... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks people looked up a few of the links, GC looks like a great place to ride. Picking up a bike box now may see a few of you tomorrow :) Found out where I'm staying its on Sir Bruce Blvd Benowa so its central from what I can see. If you stumble across a random guy on a white Giant jumping on your group looking lost that will be me.
MM

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Snap MM. I’m in Benowa atm too.

One thing I’ve found that is very different to Adelaide is the humidity. The hills are great and damn, them cicadas can get loud. Beechmont is a great hill with some great views as is Binna Burra.

I’ve been riding on my own, and it’s great as you can stop when you need and enjoy the sights

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 pm

MichaelB wrote:Snap MM. I’m in Benowa atm too.

One thing I’ve found that is very different to Adelaide is the humidity. The hills are great and damn, them cicadas can get loud. Beechmont is a great hill with some great views as is Binna Burra.

I’ve been riding on my own, and it’s great as you can stop when you need and enjoy the sights
Will send you a pm when I arrive.