Noosa to Pomona (the Mountain)

Kronos

Noosa to Pomona (the Mountain)

Postby Kronos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi,

I'm planning a ride to stretch my legs a bit... It's mostly safe around the shire proper but I want to get a bit further out than down to Beckmans Road... Problem is as soon as you get on to Sunrise Road it turns into a bit of a goat track. A similar problem occurs once you get past Coolum and down to Mt Coolum heading north. There aren't really any legitimate cycling lanes.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/marc ... !3e1?dcr=0

Sometimes you have to risk it, but is it really worth it... I've planned a bit of a road staying off main roads without significant infrastructure but beyond Sunrise Road is a bit of unknown terrain to me. Riding on McKinnon Drive is asking to be run over so I have no interest in going that way.

TheWall

Re: Noosa to Pomona (the Mountain)

Postby TheWall » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Not cycle lanes as such but most of the roads are pretty quiet through there and, due to the high frequency of cyclists/events they are 99% well behaved around these parts. Worth some exploring Kronos.

Perhaps drive the area in the early morning 1st so you can see how many bikes are out and about and check out the roads?

Matt

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Kronos wrote:Riding on McKinnon Drive is asking to be run over so I have no interest in going that way.
Not at all, the Noosa bunches go to and from Boreen Point every thursday along mckinnon without issue. You still want to avoid that route though, because the surface is very coarse chip and unforgiving on one's delicate areas :shock: . Plus there's a solid climb on Louis Bazzo Drive.

The straight line that Google Maps has plotted off Beckmans Rd is actually an off road track, even with a mountain bike it involves a fair bit of walking as it crosses numerous large, steep gullies. What you want to do is continue along Beckmans to Cooroy-Noosa Rd, then take Gyndier Drive up to Sunrise Rd before turning onto Dath Henderson Rd and following it back onto Cooroy Noosa Rd.

You can take Cooroy Mountain Rd if you wish, but it's gravel most of the way. Doable on a road bike, and very picturesque. West of Dath Henderson, Cooroy Noosa Rd has a fairly narrow shoulder, but I've ridden along there a lot with no trouble, and again, the Noosa bunches ride along there every Tuesday. Once you get past the old strawberry farm on the lake (only a couple of kms) it opens up and from there to Pomona is just dandy.

You need to get yourself out to the Obi Obi to see what a proper goat track looks like :P
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Having lived on that road, I'd qualify it as a death trap, it's 100km/hr most of the way and the first bit out of Tewantin and into Cooroibah doesn't have a hard shoulder. Seeing people going along their at easily 130km/hr I'm definitely gonna have to argue the point that its a death trap. Whats more there is usually dog and bone trucks going up and down that road.

Heading up off Sunrise Rd and out through Glyndyr drive was my intention, unfortunately Google often points out things that aren't actually roads along your way.

I've done Obi Obi in my car I wouldn't ride on that either :P

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:04 pm

I am booked in for an Obi Obi excursion tomorrow morning :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:47 pm

I've ridden McKinnon Dve and Louis Basso Dve quite a few times at the height of the Xmas holidays.
Never had a problem with traffic - what little there was of it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:05 am

RonK wrote:I've ridden McKinnon Dve and Louis Basso Dve quite a few times at the height of the Xmas holidays.
Never had a problem with traffic - what little there was of it.
My concern with that road is one single idiot of which I've seen many completely oblivious to the 100km/hr signage. There in't exactly a hard shoulder you can retreat to... However... I may well just ride down there tomorrow and have a little bit of an excursion to check it out. I'm needing some longer trips I can do in the order of 50-100km/s trundling around the outskirts of Noosa only gets you 40kms at best.