north link and the mt coot-tha bike bridge

Postby winona_rider » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 pm

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:52 am

www.brisbanetimes.com.au

the full artical
Bikeway may bend for Northern Link tunnel
Tony Moore | October 30, 2008 - 3:25PM

A new $4 million bikeway bridge being built in Toowong may have to be modified to suit the final design of the multi-billion dollar Northern Link tunnel project, city planners have conceded.

The bikeway is a State Government project in Treasurer Andrew Fraser's electorate of Mt Coot-tha and, once complete, will straddle the Centenary Motorway near the Toowong Roundabout and council botanic gardens.

Northern Link is a Brisbane City Council TransApex project funded by the federal and state governments and propses to link Toowong and Kelvin Grove via a tunnel by 2014.

The outcome of any changes to the $4 million, partly-constructed bikeway hinge on the final design for Northern Link, which is unlikely to be known until the second half of next year.

A Main Roads spokesman said the bikeway had been specially designed to accomodate possible changes, vowing it would not need to be demolished to make way for the tunnel.

"If they (tunnel designers) come back and say they want eight lanes going down through the section, we might have to add a section to the bikeway, but we just don't know," the spokesman said.

"Apparently it is not too hard a process. But it is not going to be pulled down or anything."

The bikeway project should be complete by Christmas 2008.

Brisbane City Council launched its Northen Link tunnel project earlier this year, with one inbound tunnel entrance earmarked for a spot close to the bikeway.

The council's public transport chair Cr Jane Prentice put the question back in the State Government's hands when quizzed about a possible clash with the bikeway yesterday.

"That's an issue we did feed in to the State Government at the time that they indicated they were going ahead with it," Cr Prentice said.

"I understand our officers are liaising with the State Government.

"It is important to have cycling safety at that location and I am sure we can continue to provide that."

Cr Prentice said the council provided the information about the Northern Link project to the State Government before work was started on the bikeway bridge.

"We fed all the information to the State Government so they have obviously gone ahead knowing our project and I am sure that that will be a facility that will remain," she said.

The Northern Link tunnel project is still in its early planning stages.

Work is not expected to start until 2010 ahead of a planned 2014 opening, should the project win approval.

Main Roads confirmed its planners were working with Brisbane City Counccil staff about combining the two projects.

"It will be entwined into their project," a Main Roads spokesman said.

"It can be modified a little so it can be entwined into the final design of Northern Link, because the project is being built in stages."
Really really big UH OH
we brought this up at the CBD Bug meeting with the officers they sent us and they said IT SHOULD be fine.
But then again never trust a BCC project because it is not in the BCC roads charter they have to provide Cycling facilies.
hint hint North South Bypass Tunnel
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated