Bribie RSL

foo on patrol

Bribie RSL

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 pm

On Sunday morning at 7am, Henk Vogels will be opening the new bike cafe area of the RSL. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Paddles

Re: Bribie RSL

Postby Paddles » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Does this mean that the Bribie cycling "latte set" will be abandoning the Coffee Club for a newer club house :mrgreen:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:40 am

:lol: I'm not a big fan of the Coffee Club coffee unlike our Saturday place. (Evolve)

We were approached about 6mths ago about the RSL and them building a spot for us cyclists to use.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 pm

Well that is some clever marketing from the RSL, they'll get a few customers if they make it easier for cyclists. Good on them.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Hey Foo, what are meals at the RSL like?

A few friends and I were going to do a weeknight dinner at Sandstone Point Hotel, but I know Paul Comiskey from decades ago, and would rather not give him the business.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:04 pm

CKinnard wrote:Hey Foo, what are meals at the RSL like?

A few friends and I were going to do a weeknight dinner at Sandstone Point Hotel, but I know Paul Comiskey from decades ago, and would rather not give him the business.
Hey mate, they have been good every time that I've been there and I agree with ya sediment about the Pub. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Paddles wrote:Well that is some clever marketing from the RSL, they'll get a few customers if they make it easier for cyclists. Good on them.
It also makes it better for families that ride the bike tracks, they can just rock into this spot with the kidlets. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:23 am

Well what a bloody top bloke Henk Vogels is. Had the pleasure of him sitting a with us for half an hour and talking and the way he spoke when talking the the crowd was very good, so do yaself a favor and go see him, if he is doing a talking date near you. He is very approachable and down to earth. :D

Foo
Goal 6000km

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:30 am

That's what I mean Foo ,when I say cyclists I mean everyone not just lycra and $3k+ budgets :mrgreen:

Any facility that makes it easy for cyclists will be onto a good thing anywhere, whether they be the guys in the saturday peleton or old love on her trike.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:43 am

Paddles wrote:That's what I mean Foo ,when I say cyclists I mean everyone not just lycra and $3k+ budgets :mrgreen:

Any facility that makes it easy for cyclists will be onto a good thing anywhere, whether they be the guys in the saturday peleton or old love on her trike.
And you don't need to sign in or be a member to use this facility. :wink: They open the doors at 6am, so that is a big bonus. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Well what a bloody top bloke Henk Vogels is. Had the pleasure of him sitting a with us for half an hour and talking and the way he spoke when talking the the crowd was very good, so do yaself a favor and go see him, if he is doing a talking date near you. He is very approachable and down to earth. :D

Foo
Agree with you. Have run into Henk a few times over the last 20 years around Brisbane...and had a few coffees with him.
He's always been no fuss or fanfare, and falls in with whoever is present.

Interesting to hear the locals' attitude to Sandstone Point!! I'll make a point of trying the RSL for dinner.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:09 pm

CKinnard wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Well what a bloody top bloke Henk Vogels is. Had the pleasure of him sitting a with us for half an hour and talking and the way he spoke when talking the the crowd was very good, so do yaself a favor and go see him, if he is doing a talking date near you. He is very approachable and down to earth. :D

Foo
Agree with you. Have run into Henk a few times over the last 20 years around Brisbane...and had a few coffees with him.
He's always been no fuss or fanfare, and falls in with whoever is present.

Interesting to hear the locals' attitude to Sandstone Point!! I'll make a point of trying the RSL for dinner.
My wife was there for her work Christmas party and was not impressed how one of her party was treated. This person slurs her words naturally and was refused drinks after only having two. Yet, there were legless girls and blokes that were still there, one girl was so paralytic, she was passing in and out of consciousness. :evil: Lots of fights and prices are just stupidly high, so I stay away from the place. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:10 pm

foo on patrol wrote: My wife was there for her work Christmas party and was not impressed how one of her party was treated. This person slurs her words naturally and was refused drinks after only having two. Yet, there were legless girls and blokes that were still there, one girl was so paralytic, she was passing in and out of consciousness. :evil: Lots of fights and prices are just stupidly high, so I stay away from the place. :wink:

Foo
That sucks about the lady who slurs naturally. there's so many boneheads up around Caboolture, and a core of decent folk as well.

I have a few lifelong friends up that way on acreages and would live there in a heart beat if I could find the right acreage...and neighbors! :D
It's always nice to have space around you.
I drove up and met a few of them at the Burpengary Tavern during the week for dinner. I have to say it was just as good as anything from Brisbane waterfront or the Breaky Creek Hotel.
I think a lot of establishments don't train or supervise staff well these days. It's always a pleasant surprise when I get treated well nowadays...and I am inclined to tip then...because it happens so rarely :wink:

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Hey CKinnard, just pick your times for the Sandstone Pub and it's ok. A nice day under the trees when you've got nowhere better to be and it's as good as it gets, as soon as it gets dark it's time to head home though. Give the surf club a crack for dinner too if you wanna make sure your money goes to a good home.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Paddles wrote:Well that is some clever marketing from the RSL, they'll get a few customers if they make it easier for cyclists. Good on them.
Just like Legions in Canada, RSL clubs need outside support to thrive. The veterans are dying off, and ... Communities can, and will, support RSLs if they offer more than cheap beer and the pokies. I'll bet that supporting/sponsoring comminity-type events will benefit RSLs too.

This is not a zero-sum world we live in. Bicycling (whatever that means) can use community support too - even if it just raises public awareness that we bicyclists share roads with cars/pedestrians and co-operation amongst all 3 groups goes a long way towards healthy living...