Riverton to Clare Rail Trail.

Riverton to Clare Rail Trail.

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:28 pm

I just rode the rail trail from Riverton to Clare last weekend for the first time in nearly 3 years.

If you haven't done it for a while or don't know about it now is the time to get up early in the morning and ride it. When I rode it 3 or so years ago the track from Riverton to Auburn was almost completely washed away by water. Now much work has been done with under ground drainage pipes all the old rail bridges that were missing now have brand new steel bridges for bikes and the gravel is perfectly maintained and smooth and finally there's new signage and distance markers the entire length.

From the Riverton cop shop to Clare and back again is bang on 100km's, a good day ride with plenty time to walk around Seven Hill ruins. I just thought it was worth mentioning with spring on the way and the native plants all flowering and good weather :idea:

This pic is where the worst wash outs were, the whole track is like this now.

jbchybridrider

by BNA » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:52 am

BNA

Re: Riverton to Clare Rail Trail.

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:52 am

Seeing as I'm the only one here I may as well photo bomb this thread :lol:

I'll add a few points for people who've never done it though. Doing the full 100km you should allow 5 or 6 hours including some stops. Wind is a problem on this ride so check the weather before leaving. I did 100k today and there was wind but not too bad, riding to the turn around point (Clare) it was a head wind but in a low gear, higher cadence, speed 15-20 kph but who cares it was ok. The ride back could often reach 40kph with no effort. Being open cropping and vines land there's no where to hide.

This is what your missing.

The new bridges are nice.

The ultimate gravel grinding tyre ? that's what I think.
jbchybridrider

Return to South Australia