Bike Fit In Adelaide

ScouserDeluxe

Bike Fit In Adelaide

Postby ScouserDeluxe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get my bike fitted correctly in Adelaide.
Also is it worth it.
Thanks
Dave

brakepad

Postby brakepad » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:28 pm

I have not had a bike-fit done, but Megabike in King William street do bike fits.

http://www.megabike.com.au/servlet/Web? ... _Bike_Fits

Pinarello65

Postby Pinarello65 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 am

I've heard JT Cycles (pulteney st) have a video based system which records your action and then the computer software guides the operator to make adjustments. Costs about $50 apparently. Has anyone tried this & can comment on their experience?

Mega Bike set me up with my last bike and that was fine. I bought my latest bike from interstate & set it up myself using measurements taken from the old bike. But I've since tweaked it to take into account differences between the two bikes. So I'm also looking to do a bike fit soon I think.

It's definitely worth doing though... if you have a bad position you could be setting yourself up for injury or discomfort later on.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:47 am

Have been fitted by a guy called Steve (when he was at Revolution Cycles) and now he works (part owns I think) at Corsa Cycle Centre on Gouger St.

Uses the std KOPS system, but spent well over an hour fitting me and never had a problem since.

Edit : I think it is more important that the person has the skill and background, rather than what fancy system is used. Megabike would be my second choice, as those guys have been there for a while, good rep and seasoned riders as well

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am

If you're not a mud-plugger (mountain biker) I wouldn't go near JT without a can of petrol and a box of matches. Well, maybe that's overkill, but those guys seriously know nothing.

Second Michael's suggestion: Steve at Corsa or Claude at MegaBike (Hyde Park store).

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09 am

Ive had some pretty annoying experiences with JTs though not the one in the city, and the guys at Corsa Cycles seem to know there stuff also maybe Bio-Mechanics Cycles & Repairs on Wright st in the city. Also International Cycles is a good one on Payneham road just be careful with that one you might walk out with a Teschner
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:02 pm

RICHARDH wrote:just be careful with that one you might walk out with a Teschner

& what exactly is so wrong about that? :wink:

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Nothing as long as SHMBA doesnt kill you as soon as you walk through the door :wink: .
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

ScouserDeluxe

Postby ScouserDeluxe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Have managed to get into Megabike next Monday and having it fitted by someone called Mike I think?

Dave

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:56 am

RICHARDH wrote: SHMBA .
I've heard of SWMBO, but yours is a newie to me.Please explain.

ksteinhoff

Re: Bike Fit In Adelaide

Postby ksteinhoff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:31 am

ScouserDeluxe wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get my bike fitted correctly in Adelaide.
Also is it worth it.
Thanks
Dave
Dave,

The place I had my fit done recently is a long way from you, Boca Raton, Florida, but you might find my experience useful.

I was impressed with how the tweaks made a major difference in how smoothly I pedaled.

http://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/2008/ ... e-bicycle/

Once my new bike comes in, I'll see just how useful a pro fitting was. I'm hoping it is magic or close to it.

Sure, nothing happened there on the fit cycle that couldn't be duplicated on the road, but it would have involved lots of part swapping, lots of time and some degree of pain.

318ute

Postby 318ute » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:24 am

My experiences are limited but I bought a road bike a couple of weeks ago from MegaBike at Blackwood.

Claude not only did the fitting, but explained to a newbie like me the correct pedalling technique, actually set the shoes and pedals up correctly plus changed the headstem as the bars were too far forward for my short arms!(incl seat height)

He not only fitted me to the bike but explained the reasons why for the whole process!

Other shops may do the same? but this was my experience which took over an hour and Claude went into the discussion with a passion.
He said riding has to offer as much pleasure as possible and be an enjoyable experience so you will happily get back on the bike as often as you can.

Regards,
Steve.

Tale

Postby Tale » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:10 pm

brauluver wrote:
RICHARDH wrote: SHMBA .
I've heard of SWMBO, but yours is a newie to me.Please explain.
She Has My Bank Account? Guessing. She Hates Message Board Advice? So Hot My Bum Aches? Sad Humour Making Bad Attempts. Cough.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:56 am

Had mixed experiences with megabike at blackwood....
Had a service done by their mechanic there, who is completely useless... took it back again and again and just had my time wasted... his unprofessional manner in the shop worried me from the start, and his work followed my first impression....

The main thing i took the bike there for was getting a noisey BB sorted. He talked me into a full service. When I picked the bike up and pushed on the pedals in the shop with my foot, I found the noisey BB was UNCHANGED. His first reponse was... "sorry man havent had anytime to test it, can u leave it til next tuesday?" which i did and surprise surprise it was no different when i picked it up the next week.... Furthermore the chain now dumps off over the front deraileur now when i change down into 1st... not taking it back there to have my time wasted again so i will ge tit serviced elsewhere to fix his stuff ups....

On a better note, I had a MTB bike fit done by Noel at blackwood as well, who was the only positive at that shop.... he was a nice guy, informative, professional, and fitted the bike well.... shame he doesnt do the wrench work as well....

SO in all... Blackwood Megabike in my experience are great for fits.... woeful for bike service and professionalism....
318ute wrote:My experiences are limited but I bought a road bike a couple of weeks ago from MegaBike at Blackwood.

Claude not only did the fitting, but explained to a newbie like me the correct pedalling technique, actually set the shoes and pedals up correctly plus changed the headstem as the bars were too far forward for my short arms!(incl seat height)

He not only fitted me to the bike but explained the reasons why for the whole process!

Other shops may do the same? but this was my experience which took over an hour and Claude went into the discussion with a passion.
He said riding has to offer as much pleasure as possible and be an enjoyable experience so you will happily get back on the bike as often as you can.

Regards,
Steve.

amt

Postby amt » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:23 pm

so what is being charged by these shops, it would be handy to know. :D

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:55 pm

You'll be looking at around $150 for an hours fit.

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:27 pm

I had a fit today at Bicycle Express on Halifax St in the city.

What a huge difference this has made. My saddle went back and up, the handle bars went forward and now after a 40km ride this afternoon I feel as if I have much more power (I cut 3 minutes off my best time and upped my average on this ride by almost 1kph.)

I had Charles and Keith work with me for an hour. There were rulers, tape measures, knee measurers and weights-a-wizzing during this time. They explained everything, what they were doing, why they were doing it, what to look out for and a few tips and tricks on pedalling and positioning.

The cost for the hour? $65! That to me is a bargain and the best $65 I have spent for a long time. Parts will be on top of that of course but none of this $200 bike fit business from BIG-BIKE or the like.

If you haven't had a bike fit and think that near enough is good enough then all I can do is encourage you to go to BE or another store to get a fit done. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the results.

Tim

alex

Postby alex » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm

tim

what prompted you to get a fit?

ie, did you have existing issues you wanted to sort out?

or did you think you would just get a bit of a check up?
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Alex,

No, there were no issues apart from me thinking 'gee, I don't think my leg is straight enough when at the bottom of the pedal stroke.' This turned out to be true with the saddle being raised by 12mm or so.

I figured that since I had droppped some serious money on a new Scott CR1 then a little bit more on getting a fit didn't seem like such a bad idea. I also didn't have the tools to start loosening and especially tightening things like carbon seatposts and the like.

Tim

stevos

Postby stevos » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am

im getting some work done on my bike at Corsa Cycle Center on Gouger Street, depending on how i feel there service etc is then ill decide whether i go there for a bike fit and let you know, Steve
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 am

Hello all, first post :).

Thought I might add my bit here. I got my first road bike a month or two ago and when I purchased it at bicycle express they said they would fit me and do all that sort of stuff. (2k bike)

The fit process involved me getting on their trainer/roller thing, sitting on the bike then the guy got me to put my foot down to 6 o'clock. He had a visual inspection and said yeap thats about right seat height.

He told me to put my hands on the hoods, I did so and he said he should swap out the stem for a shorter one.
He swapped the stem around then went off to organise other stuff.

I sat on the bike and had a bit of a pedal moving my hands into all the different positions.
Then he came back and said he noticed my elbows where a bit close to my knees when in the drops so he removed the short stem and put the original one back on.

i was not particularly impressed after reading all this stuff on the net about rulers and measurements.
But maybe that is all you get with the free bike fitting for a new bike.
(if it matters or not ... I am very happy with my new bike:) )

alltorque

Postby alltorque » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:46 am

welcome eeksll. Went through a similar experience not long ago..

A few months ago I also got a new road bike from an Adelaide bike shop got the standard ' yeah that looks about right ' bike fit.. felt ok at the time but my back was starting to hurt on rides over 40km..turned out the rear wheel wasn't true either! took it into Trak cycles in Norwood and had Darren O'Grady do a proper fit, adjusted cleats, saddle, handlebars etc and no probs ever since.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:53 am

Ah, is that where DO'G is now? Darren knows his stuff okay, he used to work with Peter at International Cycles.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 am

stevos wrote:im getting some work done on my bike at Corsa Cycle Center on Gouger Street, depending on how i feel there service etc is then ill decide whether i go there for a bike fit and let you know, Steve
I would be interested in your thoughts about CCC... Steve Nash has a good reputation, but seems a bit exxy compared withother places, but then again i guess u get what u pay for. I was quoted $150 for the fit + more for some other stuff that seemed a little on the high end of the scale. Im happy if it all is top notch, not so happy tho to part with the hard earned at that rate, and be left disappointed, or having to go somewhere else....

In regards to BE... friend had a fit there last week for $65. The operator was very shy and reserved, and it all was a little bit of an uncomfortable process. After a short time it was decided that bike was probably as close to being right before the fit, (after dropping the seat an inch) and that the frame was probably a smidge big anyway. At this point any further interest in experimenting/fitting was lost. BE ended up only charging $35 because we were there for 10mins.

To qualify this against the previous BE post, the business has obviously changed hands since then, and the fittings now done by different guys to who did U2Adams earlier in this thread.

Prior to this i was probably going ot get BE to do my fit, but hence the shopping around now :) Not because I felt it was bad at BE, but i jus twant someone who is easy to communicate with, and free with their knowledge. I want a great fit, and learn something in the process....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
I would be interested in your thoughts about CCC... Steve Nash has a good reputation, but seems a bit exxy compared withother places, ....
Have been to Steve a couple of times, and yes, it is not cheap, but last time it took well over an hour and he has good experience for sure. Not just some guy who has attended a training session.

may seem exxy, but worth every penny if you have problems that need to get resolved.

He gets my vote.

Actually need to head back there for a bike service prior to TdU and also get the new shoes set up properly (Sidi's)