Glenelg to Airport Challenge Ride

Glenelg to Airport Challenge Ride

Postby steveoc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Interested in feedback on this : http://adofms.com.au/ttstrack.html .. a little 10km time trial course that is extremely safe, fun, and challenging all at the same time.

Nice little beach cruise with some detailed notes on what to look out for, where to find pace, and strategies for getting the most out of the ride.

All feedback welcome !

I am looking at putting together some more like this in the same sort of format for specific training activities - climbing, endurance, sprint training, etc. I like the idea of things like the 'spinervals' series of videos for indoor trainers - but with the perfect cycling conditions and roads that we have in Adelaide all year round, I think it is much nicer to have real courses that you can try out and compare results with others.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any specific routes around Adelaide that they run, with appropriate pacing notes that go with them.

Cheers.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...
steveoc

by BNA » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:21 pm

BNA

Re: Glenelg to Airport Challenge Ride

Postby rustychisel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:21 pm

okay, but instead of turning right onto Burbridge, why not go straight on to Military until the Fort Glanville intersection, then back? ... couple turns, lights only at Henley Beach (ped xing) and West Lakes Blvd...

or go on to Outer Harbour (roundabout at cruise liner quay) then back

or go straight on from there, back via Victoria Parade and then over the Port Adelaide bridge etc

wanna real TT (not for tris and bis)? 7.4km from the Tollgate straight up to Crafers roundabout... no traffic lights, no flat sections, no cars (except Mt Osmond Rd intersect). If you can average 40kmh up there I'LL buy the friggin coffee.
rustychisel

Postby steveoc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Just a minor update on that course - note that the section along Mil Road by the caravan park ALWAYS has a headwind.

No big deal, but the same can be said when going in the opposite direction as well !! Heading either north or south always results in a headwind, regardless of the time of day.

I do not understand the physics or meteorology behind this phenomenon, but it is scientifically provable ;)
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
steveoc

Postby steveoc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:51 pm

rustychisel wrote:wanna real TT (not for tris and bis)? 7.4km from the Tollgate straight up to Crafers roundabout... no traffic lights, no flat sections, no cars (except Mt Osmond Rd intersect). If you can average 40kmh up there I'LL buy the friggin coffee.

Yeah - they did that one 2008 as a TT for the fathers day challenge if I recall. Cant remember the winning time, but I think 18mins or something ridiculous like that ? Whatever it was, it put my attempts to utter shame. But hey - If I can avg 40km/h along that path, then I think I might have found better medicine that just coffee, but you are on for that shout anyway. Ill dust off my Saunier Duval jersey for the next attempt.

Sat mornings at 8am I normally hang with the cobwebs guys to follow the route you described. Nice uncluttered path, with a decent little sprint down at outer harbour. 'King of the Hill' on the way back up the notorious Hors Categorie climb - 'Col du Patawillunga'. :mrgreen:

The advantage of my TT path above is that it starts near home and drops me off right near work, so I find it convenient to say the least. Stretching it out is a good idea though.

If I dont go out and get smashed tonight, or do anything shamefully regrettable ..... Ill get myself to the AIR apartments 7am sharp tomorrow, and wheelsit you guys for as long as my legs can bare. I am just experimenting with new seat position/setup at the moment, so it may be a good test for the latest dial-in. 30-35km/h sounds good to me. Ill be wearing green CA gear tomorrow, on a lime green bike - plz intro yourself if I make it.

I am also looking for getting off the flat stuff every now and then and doing some serious climbing practice, at least once a month. Any groups looking at hellish hillclimbs as a group ride ?
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
steveoc

Postby Cycotic » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:57 am

Any groups looking at hellish hillclimbs as a group ride ?

For a good hills ride you should try Blackwood Megabike on Saturdays. Starts at 7am at the shop. Everyone heads out together, but they split into two groups part way: One group heads back to finish at 9am and does about 50km, the other group continues on to do about 75km.
Cycotic

Postby steveoc » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks - Ill give blackwood megabike a shot as well. I have to ride up from Glenelg for the 7am start, so thats a climb in itself. The more variety the better I reckon.

Alex aka RustyChisel - thanks for the group ride this morning, that was a good run ! V nice group of people too, and you guys do an excellent pace. 'The Diesel' is impressive to watch. Nice to know that cement hill is actually possible. In good time I would be keen to hang a right at the end of cross rd, and do crafers .. but not today :oops: Down the track sometime definitely.

It was worth it for the company, and the eye candy at Norwood was nothing to complain about either. That was a 75km round trip for me, and I feel great.

I am really impressed with all the people I have met through cycling - it seems to bring out the best in people whereever you go. Its just amazing how many cyclists you see out on the weekends. Also, the car drivers in Adelaide these days deserve a lot of credit for sharing the road.

Thx again.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
steveoc

Postby rustychisel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:45 am

Hi Steve,

yep, nice morning for it, a good ride apart from all the diesel fumes up Cement Hill.

Cheers
rustychisel

Postby nasz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:42 am

Looking forward to trying this route out in October (when I arrive in Adelaide)!
Cycled across West Africa
4 times across the Sahara
All over Europe
Cycled from London to Sydney by recumbent

Events:
Liege Bastogne Liege 07
Tilff Bastogne Tilff 07
Maratona dles Dolemites 07/08
Tour of Flanders 08
Tour of Ireland 07/08
nasz

Postby saywot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:20 pm

steveoc wrote:Just a minor update on that course - note that the section along Mil Road by the caravan park ALWAYS has a headwind.

No big deal, but the same can be said when going in the opposite direction as well !! Heading either north or south always results in a headwind, regardless of the time of day.

I do not understand the physics or meteorology behind this phenomenon, but it is scientifically provable ;)

what happens when two (or more) cyclists meet half-way going in opposite directions ?
Currently A Cenophobe
- but I'm sure something new will come along !!

EMC Etape r2.4, Mongoose Sabrosa Hybrid and a 1985 Gemini World Randonneur - decisions, decisions, decisions !
saywot

Location: about 5km west of Adelaide GPO (and alongside Schrodinger's cat)

Postby steveoc » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:41 pm

Maybe its to do with keeping on the left hand side of the road - that way the wind can head always from the north on the western side of the road, and always from the south on the eastern side of the road, maintaining a constant headwind regardless of direction of travel.

This unnatural phenomena can be observed all the way along military road, from Seacliff right through to Outer Harbour.

Or maybe its just a similar situation to putting butter on a cat's back ? (Things always land butter side up, but cats always land on their feet - so what happens there ?)
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
steveoc

Postby saywot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:12 pm

maintaining a constant headwind regardless of direction of travel.

it's good to hear that South Australian weather obeys the road rules, I've always found people (and now meteorological effects) polite in Adelaide
Currently A Cenophobe
- but I'm sure something new will come along !!

EMC Etape r2.4, Mongoose Sabrosa Hybrid and a 1985 Gemini World Randonneur - decisions, decisions, decisions !
saywot

Location: about 5km west of Adelaide GPO (and alongside Schrodinger's cat)

Postby shiv » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:01 pm

steveoc wrote:
Or maybe its just a similar situation to putting butter on a cat's back ? (Things always land butter side up, but cats always land on their feet - so what happens there ?)

Do you have to toast the cat first? Or can it be left fresh
shiv

Return to South Australia