Galipoli Underpass - did they think about cyclists?

Dahondude

Galipoli Underpass - did they think about cyclists?

Postby Dahondude » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Has anyone seen any final road layouts that include bike lanes for the new South Road Underpass?

The off ramp heading north (allowing a right hand turn onto Anzac Highway) is a complete joke as the road actually narrows at the exit point. Given the number of north-bound cars that use this off ramp to get onto Anzac highway its a really dangerous spot to be on a bike. Given the fact that they have about 200m of open space to play with I can't believe the road layout at this point is so bad.

Also is there any indication of how a west-bound bike lane on Anzac Highway is going to deal with the left had turning cars that are heading for South Road. This is a real death-trap, especially now its getting dark.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

MichaelB

Re: Galipoli Underpass - did they think about cyclists?

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:54 am

Government, think of cyclists ??????

Don't use the underpass as such, only head down Anzac Hwt towards Glenelg (or back). I reckon your mad riding along Sth Road. Braver man than me !!!!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:35 pm

agree on all points. Give a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!?? This government does not. South Rd is one one of the most evil for cyclists in the city.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:10 pm

To be honest ive never ridden done it ( i avoid it like the plague) but i do drive down it everyday. Not the best road for cyclist for sure. The other underpass which i cant remmeber the name of didnt have a bike lane in it to begin with just a seperate shared path, but they lobbied and got a bike lane down there aswell so it might be time for Bicycle SA to get in Mike Ranns ear.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

steveoc

Postby steveoc » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:24 am

If running north-south, its very much worth the extra few km to take Marion Rd .. or even head beachwards and follow the beach roads for as far as possible - better scenery, and much bike friendlier. South Rd is just a nightmare whatever underpasses they build on there. You will eventually be hit by a truck or some ditz doing their makeup whilst he/she/it talks on the mobile at the same time. There is no margin for error along there.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...

bepboy

Postby bepboy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Did they think about cyclists???? - I doubt they even thought about motorists. The whole thing looks like an abortion!!!!
I drive through it every day. Its nice to see that they had that wonderful opening ceremony. Pity about the ongoing roadworks :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Must have been a slow media day for mike.
I ride across it, going along Anzac Highway most weekends and really do enjoy playing dodge the barrier, but I have to say its better than riding along South rd which is a real pain in a car let alone a bike.
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto

alex

Postby alex » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:53 pm

i have lived within 2 streets of this intersection for almost my whole life

my summary... what they have done here is a seriously wasted opportunity, for car and cyclist alike. the mind truly boggles at some of the things they havehave not done (the right hand turn onto anzac hwy described above was executed very poorly). $117m extended to over $200m... that is a huge amount of money for one intersection, 4 intersections like this pays for 'the stadium'!

i do believe it will be better than it was previously once complete, but i am certain all the traffic engineering apart from the tunnel itself was done on a friday afternoon... 8)
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.