To the fool without lights...

To the fool without lights...

Postby thommo09 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:37 am

Ok so I don't want this to sound rude or become too much of a rant...but...

I was driving towards the hills on Glen Osmond Rd at about 5:00am on Sunday morning when I came within inches of knocking a cyclist off his/her bike. Now, as far as I'm concerned, the only reason that I nearly hit this person was because they weren't using any lights or reflective clothing etc. That is, I wasn't able to see them at all until they became visible in my headlights! I (and he/she) was very lucky that I caught a glimpse of them in time to swerve away, however this then put me very close to being cleaned up by the semi trailer that was charging up on my right.

If you're going to ride your bike in the dark, get some lights! It doesn't matter if you get the cheapo K-mart lights, just get something, because a car coming up behind you at 60km/h has very little chance of avoiding a cyclist doing about 20-30km/h when they suddenly appear in their headlights.

I'd also like to make the point that if I were to knock this person over I imagine that I (and my girlfriend who was also in the car) would be pretty devastated and who knows what the legal ramifications of such an accident would have been. So I'll repeat this again...If you're going to ride your bike in the dark, get some lights! If you were to get hit, it would have an impact on so many more people than just yourself.

Ok, I'm done.
thommo09

by BNA » Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 pm

BNA

Re: To the fool without lights...

Postby amt » Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 pm

goes without saying really doesn't it. I saw two riders this week without lights and they were kitted up so they looked serious about it. Yesterday I saw a guy wearing a bike helmet and he was riding a 50cc scooter. :roll:
amt

Postby RICHARDH » Thu May 21, 2009 1:15 pm

Yesterday I saw a guy wearing a bike helmet and he was riding a 50cc scooter.

Thats ok you probably can go twice as fast than this bloke on your bike :wink: Im always amazed at these twits, ive noticed that they also the same people with the $10 helmet that isnt even buckled up and the drivetrain that last saw a drop of lube when armstrong landed on the moon.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)
RICHARDH

Postby sogood » Thu May 21, 2009 1:39 pm

RICHARDH wrote:Thats ok you probably can go twice as fast than this bloke on your bike :wink: Im always amazed at these twits, ive noticed that they also the same people with the $10 helmet that isnt even buckled up and the drivetrain that last saw a drop of lube when armstrong landed on the moon.

The country is short on organ donors. As long as they are physically fit and healthy, keep them coming. Brains can't be transplanted currently so it's not a concern. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby im_no_pro » Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 pm

sogood wrote:
RICHARDH wrote:Thats ok you probably can go twice as fast than this bloke on your bike :wink: Im always amazed at these twits, ive noticed that they also the same people with the $10 helmet that isnt even buckled up and the drivetrain that last saw a drop of lube when armstrong landed on the moon.

The country is short on organ donors. As long as they are physically fit and healthy, keep them coming. Brains can't be transplanted currently so it's not a concern. :roll:

:lol: :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to South Australia