2010 Tour Down Under Challenge Tour

2010 Tour Down Under Challenge Tour

Postby Cycotic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:16 pm

I've just heard that earlybird bookings are now open.

http://www.mcct.tourdownunder.com.au

160.5km+ is a long way. I'd better start training.
Cycotic

by BNA » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:10 pm

BNA

Re: 2010 Tour Down Under Challenge Tour

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:10 pm

"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby optoplex » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Great thanks for this information!
optoplex

Postby brettjames » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:45 pm

count me in!!!!

160.5 kms, here I come............

OUCH!
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's
brettjames

Postby RalfR » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Great route!!

Start close to the city which is convenient for most folks.

Climbing at the start is hard work, but much better than being at the end.

KOM is a hard climb, but worth the effort.

And it's pretty cruisy once you get thru Mt Barker way, mostly downhill, but with some short climbs.

And the riding around Cudlee Ck Lenswood Woodside is sweet as.

Can't wait.

Cheers
RalfR

Postby alex » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 pm

fox creek road is going to be absolute carnage, would be a great place for a spectator :lol:
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby Pinarello65 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:46 pm

I did Gorge Rd & then Fox Creek Rd not so long ago, about March I think, from memory the hard bit of Fox Creek Rd is about 1km of 10% gradient if I'm looking at the right spot on the graph. (I log all rides on my Polar CS600). I noticed there were markings on the road for each 100m to the top, which was handy because I could see when I was getting close.
Pinarello65

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:22 am

Pinarello65 wrote:I did Gorge Rd & then Fox Creek Rd not so long ago, about March I think, from memory the hard bit of Fox Creek Rd is about 1km of 10% gradient if I'm looking at the right spot on the graph. (I log all rides on my Polar CS600). I noticed there were markings on the road for each 100m to the top, which was handy because I could see when I was getting close.

Is the climb for 2010 any harder than the 2009 route at the start ?

Any idea of the total climb for the whole ride ? At least there is no hill like Menglers in the second half, although the pimple at the end will be a cramp fest, and the winds could be challenging if they are in the wrong direction.

Roll on Jan 2010 !!!!

At least it starts near home again :D
Last edited by MichaelB on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelB

Postby Cycotic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Route and elevation profile here.
Cycotic

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Cycotic wrote:Route and elevation profile here.

For some reason, Bikely is not working for me :evil: I would be interested to see how the first 50km of the course compares with this years event.
MichaelB

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:41 pm

you could do it fixed!!! :twisted:
rustychisel

Postby DanielS » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:54 pm

MichaelB - the initial part of both routes is very similar, they both go up Gorge Rd (with the steepish bit at the top to Kangaroo Ck Dam). The 2010 route goes up Fox Creek Rd shortly afterwards which is quite hard. So I'd say the first 50kms will be harder, but the rest of it somewhat easier. (I didn't ride 2009 so just guessing).
DanielS

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:55 pm

around Lenwood is better known as 'bastard hill central' but at least you get to go down Tiers Road..., then climb to Littlehampton
rustychisel

Postby Pinarello65 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:21 pm

News just in, BicycleSA are NOT running the challenge tour in 2010. Will be interesting to see who does and how well they do it.
Pinarello65

Postby gdt » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Subject: Special Bicycle SA announcement
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:09:22 +1000

BicycleSA e-news
http://www.bikesa.asn.au

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

With the announcement yesterday from the Tour Down Under for the route of the 2010 Mutual Community Challenge Tour, I want to inform all our members and friends that Bicycle SA will not be involved in the management of the 2010 ride. The challenge Tour is now acknowledged as a major driver for tourist visitation to SA and the South Australian Tourism Commission is looking to develop the ride in a direction that better supports the overall tourism objectives for the State. This is a terrific vindication of the development of this ride and while Bicycle SA was invited to tender for the 2010 event, we have declined the Commission’s kind invitation.

Bicycle SA initiated the creation of the “people’s ride” back in 2002 and the staff and many volunteers of Bicycle SA are proud of their role in seeing this ride build from the few hundred riders back then to the 7,000 who rode in 2009. Having delivered each event since 2002, we have worked hard each year to enhance the rider experience and to ensure that participation in the event increases in line with our own events program.

Bicycle SA’s overall Mission is to get “More South Australians Cycling in Safer, Healthier Communities” and it is timely that our association with the Challenge Tour be reviewed. Our business focus is now firmly targeted to achieving behaviour change outcomes within the broader community; in other words getting more people out of cars, off couches and onto bikes – it’s that simple. Every year, we review each of our events and programs to ensure that they achieve this target.

Delivering the Challenge Tour requires a significant investment of organisational resources (in particular from our hundreds of loyal volunteers) and it is clear that in achieving our Mission, we can better utilise these precious resources by developing behaviour change initiatives – whether these be single day rides or educational programs. This fact is now reinforced by the Commission’s desire to develop the Challenge Tour and its appeal in a direction that is increasingly outside of our core business and consequently would limit our success in meeting our own objectives.

It’s been a great ride for all at Bicycle SA working on this event over the years with our colleagues at the Tour Down Under, and equally great to see the TDU going from strength to strength every year – helmets off to Mike Turtur and his team - we wish them well for 2010. As the State’s largest provider of cycle tourism product, it goes without saying that Bicycle SA will continue to look for partnership opportunities with the Commission.

So what goodies will Bicycle SA be offering next January, I hear you ask? Well, we are hard at work developing a number of initiatives that will provide greater access and opportunity for South Australians to ride more often – so stay tuned for more soon. We will be out in force throughout the year and look forward to you sharing the ride with us.

So if you are looking for more information on the 2010 Challenge Tour, please direct your enquiries to http://www.tourdownunder.com.au .

Cheers for now.
CHRISTIAN HAAG
CEO, Bicycle SA
gdt

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:42 am

Ptooeee. Anyone want a dummy ???

BicycleSA put up a huge protest last year when they let the numbers exceed the initial limit of 5,000, but SA Police over-ruled them.

Obviously not a bunch of happy campers. I think they did a great job this year, so will be interesting to see who does it in 2010 and how well they do !!!!

DanielS - so Fox Creek Road goes off Gorge Rd. Hmmmm, need to do more climbing practice...

Rustychisel - NFW to FG
MichaelB

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:04 pm

G'day

There is route information now posted at http://www.mcct.tourdownunder.com.au/ including shorter routes by the look of things.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby ni78ck » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:27 pm

i may consider coming down for the trip! sounds like fun :wink:
Oppy Le Mauco - Dura Ace (wet weather bike)
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2
ni78ck

Postby RICHARDH » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:44 pm

160 km better go for a training ride tonight :wink:
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)
RICHARDH

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:27 am

Aushiker wrote:.... including shorter routes by the look of things.

Regards
Andrew

keh ?

There have always been other starting points. One thing though, there can't be many shortcut escape routes like this years event....
MichaelB

Postby gdt » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:43 am

MichaelB wrote:One thing though, there can't be many shortcut escape routes like this years event....

And the hills are at the front. So if you go too hard at the start (as lots of beginners will) then there's few options but to do at least another 80Km. The only real escape in the hills is to ride back to the start, which sort of diminishes the sense of having challenged yourself.

Strategy-wise there can be quite a stiff south-easterly breeze along the final Milang-Goolwa stretch and in the middle downhill stretch you will pass through the 100Km riders.

I'm planning to ride the course three times before the day, so I'll post notes a few weeks before the day for those coming from interstate.

If you just want a pleasant day's ride on the bike then the 100Km course looks cruising. If you are thinking of towing a kid's bike then doing the 100Km looks ideal. I'm under some pressure from the 8yo in that regard, since this is her last chance at being towed on a long ride before I'll make her ride her own bike. Equally, for me its the last chance to hammer the course before I've got to be slow enough so a 9yo can grab my wheel and happily make it to the end.
gdt

Postby bepboy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:30 pm

any tips on a training schedule to get up to the 100km ride. Most i currently do in one ride at the moment is 40 to 50km
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto
bepboy

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:55 pm

bepboy wrote:any tips on a training schedule to get up to the 100km ride. Most i currently do in one ride at the moment is 40 to 50km

Ride more often and for longer.

Almost as simple as that.

If you can, ride the actual course, so you know what you will be up for (easy if you are in Adelaide).

Enter other similar rides prior to the TdU (Amy's Ride in Nov is a good example) and other similar rides if you can.

Oh, and ride more often and for longer.
MichaelB

Postby bepboy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Ta
I think I get the drift - longer and more often. Pretty good advice for just about everything I really like doing.

Also thanks for the tip on Amy's ride, sounds like a pretty good idea.
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto
bepboy

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Try the Bicycle SA Grand Slam rides aswell there good because the progressively get longer in distance and lead into the Amys ride and then its just keep up the riding till January. Riding the route is always a good idea because then theres no surprises sometimes you look back at elevation profiles and wonder how they can possibly be correct.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)
RICHARDH

Next

Return to South Australia