Postby rustychisel » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:50 pm

No, that's just you!! :wink:

HOLD YOUR LINE Steve
rustychisel

by BNA » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 pm

BNA

Re: 2010 Tour Down Under Challenge Tour

Postby elantra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Strawburger wrote:............ What happened to grouping the riders in order of speed? ........

I was under the impression that this was going to occur but as far as i could see it did not.

Up here in Queensland, in the Brisbane to GoldCoast event (8000 riders last year) the riders were started in order of speed groupings, faster riders first of course.
Having said that, in the MCC Adelaide ride i was much less hindered by slow or broken-down riders than in the GoldCoast ride.
I thought it flowed really well.

However i thought the abundance of bananas was a bit ill-conceived.
I carried almost all my food to the event, but the chocolate melted. Some of the bananas looked a bit green, probably not from Queensland.

And certainly that wind was not from Queensland. :x
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby slrider » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Like a lot of people here, I really enjoyed the Challenge Tour last week – it was a fantastic and certainly challenging ride that had a few problems with its organisation. I also work for Savings & Loans, the sponsor of the Coast to Coast ride from Glenelg to Victor Harbor run by Bicycle SA. We’ve been following the discussion here with great interest, both as regular cyclists and supporters of the sport in general.

Savings & Loans and Bicycle SA have been working together on the Coast to Coast for over five years and we’ve built an event that offers something for all classes of riders. This year we have five different ride lengths, ranging from the full 120km to a 10km peddle along the Encounter Bikeway.

The Savings & Loans Coast to Coast is fully supported by Bicycle SA, who bring an amazing amount of energy, experience and expertise to the ride. If you haven’t been involved in a Bicycle SA ride before, their volunteers do a fantastic job right along the route – making sure riders can register easily, there’s plenty of food and water throughout the ride, and people are fed and watered at the end.

This year’s ride doesn’t include a jersey but the cost of the ride is significantly less than the Challenge Tour - $75 for the general public, $60 for Bicycle SA members and $50 for Savings & Loans or Australian Central members. The ride also supports The Smith Family by donating a portion of the entry fee and encouraging riders to raise extra money.

This year’s Savings & Loans Coast to Coast is on Sunday 14 March. You can see the ad for it on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZMJRzZFXA, and more information is available on the Bicycle SA websitehttp://www.bikesa.asn.au/servlet/Web?s=2060570&action=changePage&pageID=1970252875.

We’re interested to know what the cycling public wants from a recreational ride. Would you prefer rides to be timed or untimed? Would you rather courses stay the same every year or change? What’s the best day to hold a ride? If you’ve got any feedback or ideas, drop us an email at [email protected]
slrider

Postby Trev Campbell » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:04 pm

slrider, I participated in the Coast to Coast last year and was looking forward to doing it again this year. However I'm not sure how/when dates for these type of events have to be finalised but the ride is on the same weekend as the Clipsal 500 this year. And also the Corporate Triathlon. I would have thought that the best chance of a good turn out for these events would be to hold them on a weekend when there are no competing events. Anyway I hope there is a good turn out and it's another fantastic event. Just a bit disappointed that I have to choose 1 event out of the 3 I would like to have done.
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"
Trev Campbell

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:06 pm

thanks for your post slrider, great to see that organisers of other rides are taking note of the absolute balls up that the MCCT TDU Ride was... Im sure the Coast to Coast will again be a great day (as Ride like Crazy continues to be as well)...

Will be interesting to see what sort of rhetorical response we get back from Events SA in reponse to our feedback...

slrider wrote:Like a lot of people here, I really enjoyed the Challenge Tour last week – it was a fantastic and certainly challenging ride that had a few problems with its organisation. I also work for Savings & Loans, the sponsor of the Coast to Coast ride from Glenelg to Victor Harbor run by Bicycle SA. We’ve been following the discussion here with great interest, both as regular cyclists and supporters of the sport in general.

Savings & Loans and Bicycle SA have been working together on the Coast to Coast for over five years and we’ve built an event that offers something for all classes of riders. This year we have five different ride lengths, ranging from the full 120km to a 10km peddle along the Encounter Bikeway.

The Savings & Loans Coast to Coast is fully supported by Bicycle SA, who bring an amazing amount of energy, experience and expertise to the ride. If you haven’t been involved in a Bicycle SA ride before, their volunteers do a fantastic job right along the route – making sure riders can register easily, there’s plenty of food and water throughout the ride, and people are fed and watered at the end.

This year’s ride doesn’t include a jersey but the cost of the ride is significantly less than the Challenge Tour - $75 for the general public, $60 for Bicycle SA members and $50 for Savings & Loans or Australian Central members. The ride also supports The Smith Family by donating a portion of the entry fee and encouraging riders to raise extra money.

This year’s Savings & Loans Coast to Coast is on Sunday 14 March. You can see the ad for it on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZMJRzZFXA, and more information is available on the Bicycle SA websitehttp://www.bikesa.asn.au/servlet/Web?s=2060570&action=changePage&pageID=1970252875.

We’re interested to know what the cycling public wants from a recreational ride. Would you prefer rides to be timed or untimed? Would you rather courses stay the same every year or change? What’s the best day to hold a ride? If you’ve got any feedback or ideas, drop us an email at [email protected]
Dr_Mutley

Postby Dahondude » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:55 pm

wow, a mass participation ride organiser who asks riders what they want! Now there's a novelty. I am going to do the Coast to Coast just for that alone!

Although I will email this to slrider, its probably worth getting a feel for what different people want from these "challenge rides". Here's what I am looking for:
1. Easy, quick and simple registration. If possible its better to have all this done and dusted before the day of the event so you just turn up and ride. I think the Round the Bay in a Day ride now posts out everything prior to ride. People could still register on the day but run the risk of hitting ques. If pre-ride registration is not possible, then very careful thought needs to go into how the registration/toilet/bag drop/timing chip pad areas are layed out to avoid bottlnecks and people having to cross long lines of people. Currently I think BikeSA use a "tick your name off the printed list" system, which is fine for a few hundred ridres but quickly becomes a nightmare once the number of riders approaches or exceeds 1000.
2. Good signage and traffic control at intersections. This was done well at the MCCT (mostly thanks to the Police) and I think BikeSA have done a pretty good job in the past with volunteer traffic controllers.
3. A good supply of food and water. BikeSA have always done an excellent job in this respect with cake, biscuits, fruit, water, powerade, juice, tea, coffe, milo. Refreshment stops need to be well organised as well, preferably with a one-way system so that riders enter at one end end exit at another. This became painfully obvious on the MCCT ride with major bottlenecks and lack of flow of people around water. Those 8 tap water stands are a good idea provided the quality of the water being pumped into them is up to scratch (we tasted some pretty ordinary water on the MCCT ride). Handing out bottled water or using those 10l carboard boxes is suboptimal as it created huge amounts of waste (I pity the poor buggers in Finness who will be picking up water bottles for the next few weeks).
4. I dont think the route needs to be changed every year provided it is a good route to begin with. The Coast to Coast is a great (and challenging route) starting and finishing in a scenic location. Not changing the route obviously isnt a major issue to most people - just look at the popularity of the Alpine Classic and Round the Bay in a Day
5. Using timing chips would be a great idea. Mass participation running events are always timed and the reason most people do them is to try and better their times, so why not mass participation rides? People can them aim to better their times from last year. If having a timing chip adds significantly to the cost of the ride then maybe have two cost points: ride only, or ride plus "official timing chip time"
6. I dont think a jersey/water bottle/other event merchandise is essential. My cupboards are overflowing with event jerseys that I hardly use again. If an event jersey is seen by some to be desirable then offer two cost points: ride only and ride plus jersey.
7. Bring back the Sea to Vines ride! Another superb route and great start/finish locations. I still can't understand why this got ditched for an ugly ride down the Southern Expressway.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed
Dahondude

Postby gdt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Dahondude wrote:5. Using timing chips would be a great idea.

or just push the Clear button on the cycle computer as you pass through the start line.
gdt

Postby slrider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks for the feedback (and email), Dahondude. Regarding timing chips, the big reason these haven't been introduced already is that we want to keep the ride as safe as possible - this isn't always possible if people think they're racing against each other. We want to make sure that people stop when they need to for food/water rather than just focusing on getting to the finish as quickly as possible.

Until we sort out these issues, gdt might have the best idea...
slrider

Postby Dahondude » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:32 am

OK good point on the timing chips and its effects on racing mentality...I remember when I did the ride last, there were about 100 riders sitting on the back of the S&L team doing 40+ km/h. No-one wanted to stop at rest stops when they were getting such a nice draft (I did though) and I passed some very wobbly looking riders by the time they all got to that killer last hill just before Victor.

gdt...resetting your trip computer is fine, but you don't get to find out where your time sits relative to everyone else.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed
Dahondude

Postby steveoc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:56 am

Dahondude wrote:gdt...resetting your trip computer is fine, but you don't get to find out where your time sits relative to everyone else.

+1

Knowing where you sit relative to everyone else is a good objective measurement.

Even without timing chips, it is the presence of other riders on the road that makes some people get all competitive and treat it like a race. You are always going to have that I suppose.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...
steveoc

Postby Whittikins » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:30 pm

If there is anyone here who got a medium sized MCCT jersey, could i get a chest measurement from jersey.

Cheers
Whittikins

Postby pavo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:01 pm

dr ti wrote:Thats a great letter Ian, do you mind if I copy some of it too send as well?

Sure, no worries. And as a postscript, I received a call from an extremely switched-on young woman at EventsSA, who was meticulous in going through the issues. That's brilliant - mistakes are a fact of life, but if someone's prepared to listen and make changes, then full marks as far as I'm concerned. As she herself pointed out, the MCCT is an important 'hook' to get extra visitors. And visitors with bikes, who add immeasurably to the whole vibe of the event.
pavo

Postby Cycotic » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:13 pm

If anyone would like to leave some feedback about the TDU Challenge Tour, there is a survey on the web site:
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/getinvo ... llengetour
Cycotic

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:24 pm

I was about to post the same link!
I have just filled in the survey and I hope the comments are read and manage not be 'filtered' before reaching the decision makers!
Clydesdale Scot

Postby steveoc » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:59 pm

The question on Sponsors (page 3 of survey)

1. Penfolds Wines - suppliers of Chardonnay for the event organisers.
2. Commonwealth Bank - investment services for the excess profits made on the MCCT event.
3. Goldmark Jewelers - makers of medals for the event organisers to congratulate themselves with.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
steveoc

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:19 am

Did the survey. Hmmmm - likelhood of them really listening ....... 0/10.

Liklehood that BicycleSA are sniggering a bit ....... 20/10 !!!
MichaelB

Postby bella26 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:22 am

Just put my 2cents in. Hopefully they will see what a shambles this event turned into and learn from their mistakes - although this is doubtful.
MichaelB wrote:Liklehood that BicycleSA are sniggering a bit ....... 20/10 !!!

Couldn't agree more with that!
2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er
bella26

Postby nasz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Must admit that this event was poorly organised in my opinion. After doing countless events in the UK and Europe and my wife assisting with the Tour of Ireland, the start was chaotic, the food stations meagre and the finish lacking. Not event the jersey fitted, despite trying one on previously... and no certificate or medal! Someone's having a larf!
Cycled across West Africa
4 times across the Sahara
All over Europe
Cycled from London to Sydney by recumbent

Events:
Liege Bastogne Liege 07
Tilff Bastogne Tilff 07
Maratona dles Dolemites 07/08
Tour of Flanders 08
Tour of Ireland 07/08
nasz

Postby locky63red » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

The most appalling part for me was after the ride. My family and friends had set up 8oo metres from the finish at the alternate turnoff to hindmarsh island and the turnoff to the community club. Before I arrived they witnessed two cyclist in separate accidents get hit by cars crossing the traffic to go to hindmarsh island. One of the accidents was a hit and run. In both instances the cyclist was injured and the bikes were damaged and could not be ridden.They continued to witness numerous near misses. They and numerous people in the same area rang SAPOL to ask for help and assistance at this intersection. Sapol could not be bothered. My brother ended up trying to direct traffic to try and stop more cyclists getting knocked off. After I finished and made my way back to them, the near misses continued unabated with no help at all from SAPOL. Surely with two accidents at this corner,numerous phone calls from the public about them,continued near misses SAPOL could have tasked one of the bicycle police tooling around to actually get off his bike and direct traffic and protect life.
The organisers did not win too many good reports with their lousy planning and logistics. Having a water stop on the main road in Milang when there was the perfectly suitable foreshore area away from the traffic was just plain dumb.
Lack of toilets, lousy water, no food, Jerseys that are not sized correctly. Tagging system that was a bottleneck and then went into meltdown. Lack of signage at the oval at Goolwa.
Imagine what would have happened if it had got really hot. Or if there had been a headwind for a significant part of the ride.
Give it back to Bike SA to organise.
They are not interested in bicycle advocacy anymore but they at least can organise commercial scale events.
I for one do not think I will be forking out my money to participate in such a poorly organised shamozle next year.
locky63red

Postby steveoc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:04 am

Until I see Tourism SA officers publicly beheaded in Vic square for their part in this - I wont believe that they have listened to any constructive criticism at all. The brochures and marketing material was first class .. . but without a public beheading of an appropriate quantity of scapegoats .... I dont see that they can easily redeem themselves. OK, maybe that sounds extreme to some, but I do think a public beheading would possibly ease concerns that they are taking the MCCT seriously, and may try harder next year to make it more like a proper supported event.

But not without a few public beheadings first !
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
steveoc

Previous

Return to South Australia