Used Bike Dealers

Used Bike Dealers

Postby DelzDawg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi everybody,

I am looking to buy a road bike for around $500. I would like to buy second hand as I hfeel this is the best way to get something decent within my budget. Just wanting to use it for fitness but don't exactly want to cheap out on the bottom of the line new bike. Are there any stores or dealers around Adelaide that have a fairly extensive range of used/trade-in bikes?

Thanks,

Daniel.
DelzDawg

by BNA » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:47 pm

BNA

Re: Used Bike Dealers

Postby optoplex » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:47 pm

www.bikexchange.com.au may yield some results, but through mostly private sellers.

If you were looking to browse for used bikes all in one shop, I'm afraid I haven't come across this, excpet for the usuall cashies places with mostly kmart or MTBs.

I have noticed the bicycle express has the occasional used frame or bike, but likely to be more than $500 pricerange you were interested in.
optoplex

Postby Old Man Well » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:53 am

I was in the same boat about 6 months ago, I found my Repco in the Advertiser Weekender classifieds.
Also driving and looking for discarded bikes on the side of the road is good, it can take months to find something but if you keep an eye out it can be very rewarding to save a bike that was heading for the tip.
If your after something newer I think the second hand bikes at Bicycle Express start off for $700ish.
2009 Bottecchia Altavelocita
1939 Malvern Star (unknown model, 1 star)
1999 Specialized TJ Lavin 415 Vegas (BMX)
Repco Tracer
Old Man Well

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:40 am

Lifecycle - bottom of Kensington Road, Norwood used to do a small line in pre-loved... might be worth a phone call. But a private seller is the best likelihood IMO.
rustychisel

Postby Chanboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:45 am

I tried to find used bicycle shops in Sydney, but didn't come up with much.

I have bought two bikes through http://www.gumtree.com.au/ though, might be worth taking a look for your city.
Chanboy

Postby DelzDawg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Cheers guys. Yeah I've been checking out BikeExchange and GumTree. Found a Carbonio 1.0 for $500 but missed out by about 5 minutes. The guy reckons he gets deals like that all the time and will let me know when he has something in my price range. But I'm wanting to hurry up and get one within the next fortnight. I'll check out those stores!
DelzDawg

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:43 am

I imagine that it is the same in South Oz as WA where bikes shops are generally prohibited form selling second hand bikes unless they have a pawnbrokers permit. They may be able to by back there own stock though so if you can find one that does business with touring shows (circuses, theatre groups, etc who sometimes buy a couple for two or three staff to go for a wander/tour) then you might then be able to get some almost new bargains on middle quality bikes.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby DelzDawg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:08 pm

Cheers for your help everyone. I ended up getting a 2009 Pinarello FP1. It has the Campagnolo Veloce Group Set and Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels. Although the rear needs replacing!
DelzDawg

Postby brauluver » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:29 pm

DelzDawg wrote:Cheers for your help everyone. I ended up getting a 2009 Pinarello FP1. It has the Campagnolo Veloce Group Set and Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels. Although the rear needs replacing!

DelzDawg wrote:Hi everybody,

I am looking to buy a road bike for around $500. I would like to buy second hand as I hfeel this is the best way to get something decent within my budget.

Daniel.

Congrats!...I'm guessing you blew your budget bigtime :twisted:
brauluver

Postby DelzDawg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:33 pm

$600 + $200 for a new rear tyre. Sniffed out a bargain!
DelzDawg

Postby brauluver » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:37 pm

http://www.ivanhoecycles.com.au/bikes/r ... d_596.html

One of these?

Crikey thats cheap...Hope it's not hot :oops:

Did you get it from a shop?
brauluver

Postby DelzDawg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Yeah one of those. A dealer in Victoria helped me out she arrives Monday week! Getting excited..
DelzDawg

Postby brauluver » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:32 pm

DelzDawg wrote:Getting excited..

So you should be with deal like that.
brauluver

Postby DelzDawg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Now I just need to get a jersey organised. Where are some good spots in Adelaide that have a good range or even online?
DelzDawg

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:12 pm

nice one..

Here's all you need :wink:

http://elevengear.us/poseur.html

Hint: don't shop at the well known city store S_ _ _ _ E _ _ _ _ _ s, their prices are higher than a tall thing.
rustychisel

Postby DelzDawg » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Cheers mate! Also I'm in search of somewhere that can print a custom jersey. Got a business that I woldn't mind promoting and get a couple made up..
DelzDawg

Postby 3rdKogCruiser » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 am

Cheers mate! Also I'm in search of somewhere that can print a custom jersey. Got a business that I woldn't mind promoting and get a couple made up..

Well done on the bike deal, looks like you're about spend as much again on all yer accessories - hope that business is doing well!
- Ciao; 3rd Kog.("I'm not racing, just trying to catch the dude up ahead")
Now: Avanti Monza (to keep up with Pinarello riders), Shogun Metro (+ tag-along)
B4: Phillips Multi-track (really bad, but got me back into riding)
3rdKogCruiser

Postby dirty_harry » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:49 pm

i am pretty sure triple play (tripleplaydotcomdotau) do custom wear. they have just updated there website so i struggled to find the custom section, but it used to be there and they've still got a section called templates so i think with a bit of hunting youll find they do it. what is the business? beautiful bike i wanted a pinerello when i was looking not long ago. Wish i could of got one for 600 bucks or round about. settled for an orbea aspin cause i got about 700 bucks off and i absolutely love it, hope you love the pinerello sounds great and i hope the custom jersey works out for you.
harry
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?
dirty_harry

Postby DelzDawg » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks guys. Got in contact with Oz Uniforms based in SA and they can do it for $60 which is pretty impressive. The bike arrived this morning and LOVE IT
DelzDawg

Postby donnie darko » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 am

Hey, after collecting for a while, have decided to start selling the shed is getting way to full. No more room so it started going to the tip. Let me know if you need anything and I will try and help out. Lots of old stuff good and bad. Cheers Sam
donnie darko

Postby asianexpat » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:04 pm

photos! photos!!

out of interest, how did u manage to find such a dealer interstate? any contact details?
Its on in the mind. Never say die.

Why drive when you can ride.

Shut up legs.

aLLEz aLLEz
asianexpat

Return to South Australia