Amy's Ride - 1 November

Amy's Ride - 1 November

Postby fitnhealthy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi All

I just registered for the 60 km to get a free jersey to the first 3000. Don't think they will go that quickly. Anyone else thinking of riding this? Anyone ride it last year? What was it like? Is it all uphill like I imagine it to be?

Cheers
FNH
fitnhealthy

by BNA » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:57 pm

BNA

Re: Amy's Ride - 1 November

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:57 pm

fitnhealthy wrote:Hi All
Is it all uphill like I imagine it to be?

Cheers
FNH

Quote below taken from here. My highlight.

60KM
But if riding the Southern Expressway is thrilling enough and you're not really a hill-climbing person, then the 60km option is the go. Factor in some picturesque coastal roads - plus a well-earned glass of the local drop and some damn fine food at the finish - and you have yourself the perfect ride.

Interesting to note you get a free Jersey for the SA one, must be trying to build numbers. No such thing if memory serves for the Vic one (either that or I was way to late to get it). If it's anything like the Vic one its a great day out for a good cause.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Dave A » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Ive registered for the 60 too, it will be quite a test for this unfit black duck :oops:
Any idea when/how the jersey is delivered ?

Its my first organised ride, so it will be interesting, although im already dreading all the posers.
Dave A

Postby fitnhealthy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Great to see you've entered Dave.

Not sure how we get the Jersey's. It didn't mention anything on the entry form. I just hope mine fits as it was a wild guess.
fitnhealthy

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:07 am

Will do the full distance (did it last year), but it's too early to part with the money for a "free" jersey - already have plenty ...

Can still use the one from last year when we rode for CMV Farms.
MichaelB

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:32 am

The Jersey's are usually handed out at the registration at the start of the event, atleast thats what BikeSA have done is the past.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)
RICHARDH

Postby jgreen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:53 pm

i'm thinking of doing it whats the cost :?:
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Muhammad Ali

Velocite Helios, Avanti Corsa Pro Elite, Kuwahara K-Pro 6000
jgreen

Postby fitnhealthy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Not cheap at $90, but should be a good day :)
fitnhealthy

Postby jgreen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:17 pm

i'm 16, bike sa says it will be $30, will that include a jersey as well?
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Muhammad Ali

Velocite Helios, Avanti Corsa Pro Elite, Kuwahara K-Pro 6000
jgreen

Postby Dave A » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Anyone know what the route is exactly ?
The website SEEMS to say the ride starts at Flinders Uni, and then heads to the Vale, but by my rough calculations thats only about 35kms :?
Theres no map on the site, so i can only guess we travel via the cape somehow to get there.
Unless the ride starts from town :?
Dave A

Postby shiv » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:21 am

I did it last year, great fun. It turns off at the end of the expressway and heads into aldinga then to willunga, up over the hill and back around to mclaren vale. Willunga Hill was at the 55-60km mark if my memory serves me so they take you the long way back to the vale.
If you do the full 100, which I recommend just to fly down the expressway, there is just the 2 climbs. The expressway climb isnt overly hard, and since everyone is backed up so much its taken at a fairly cruisy pace unless your right at the front. Willunga Hill is a bit tougher, but plenty of people to pace you up it if your not feeling strong. Also Devil women will be half way up to distract/encourage you. From there its just a few rolling hills, one very short but sharp hill and nice descent. All in all good fun
shiv

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:13 am

Agree with Shiv, the ride last year was great.

Some headwinds in the last stretch (and getting a bit cold) made it a solid slog, but a great ride. The Expressway is a great ride.
MichaelB

Postby brettjames » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Yep, good fun casual ride. no sure the $60 price increase is jsutified, just to cover the jersey cost, but meh, see what happens.
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's
brettjames

Postby alltorque » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Rode the 60km last year which was pretty easy so looking forward to doing the 100 this year. It's worth doing for the expressway alone :) Really enjoyed last years ride..it's a great day out.
alltorque

Postby Cycotic » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:24 am

I was about to sign up for this one with my 14yo son, until I discovered he'd have to pay full adult price to do the 60km. Kids prices only apply for the 30km route. We don't need more jerseys, so it would be good if BikeSA would offer a lower price without a jersey. $180 for the 2 of us is too steep. We might opt to do similar route ourselves some time and spend $20 at a bakery some where. No wonder they don't get very good numbers at these events.
Cycotic

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:22 pm

Dave A wrote:Anyone know what the route is exactly ?

G'day

Route map here.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Cycotic wrote: ...... No wonder they don't get very good numbers at these events.

On the first go last year, they had over 2,000 for the ride - so not so bad numbers.

Agree the cost is a bit steep, especially for the son, but when you think about the organisations of the event, and its a fund raiser, the end cost is a little easier to swallow.

The Expressway is a great ride though....
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Dave A wrote:Anyone know what the route is exactly ?

G'day

Route map here.

Andrew

Exactly the same as last year.
MichaelB

Postby Richard.L » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:21 pm

So how many of us forum members signed up so far??
2-3 mate and I are planning to sign up this septermber/this month
1 or 2 of my mates will be doing it on a Hardtail/mountain would this be common in the non copetitive riders?

This sounds stupid but do u think that they would have no more jerseys left (3000 tops)
Richard.L

Postby alex » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:32 pm

fark me thats expensive. a better idea would have been a $20-$30 sign up price with the option to get sponsors etc to raise money.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby Richard.L » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:53 pm

The public/charity rides always seem to be in this price range?
Richard.L

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 am

Try riding the Vic one. Costs are similar, and no free jersey from memory. At the end of the day I was quite happy paying the fee knowing it goes to a good cause. Particularly given on this years ride I was nearly hit by a 4WD doing 100+kmh :evil: . Somewhat ironic given I was on a ride which aims to increase the safety of cyclists on the roads :roll: .

IMHO Amy's ride is more about raising funds for the foundation rather than a cheap group ride. If you want to do it, HTFU and fork over I say. We all get benefit from it, as compared to many rides in Vic which cost similar, but the funds do not go to such causes (and im not suggesting there is anything wrong with those rides BTW).
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby alex » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:15 pm

at $90 out of my pocket i probably wont do it

i could probably raise $500-$1000 as could many/most people, especially those who work for big companies

anyway its still a good ride
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:30 pm

alex wrote:at $90 out of my pocket i probably wont do it

i could probably raise $500-$1000 as could many/most people, especially those who work for big companies

anyway its still a good ride

Not to have a go at you, just playing devils advocate: why expect your friends/family/colleagues to tip in a combined $500-$1k when you wont fork out $90 yourself when you get a direct benefit??
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby alex » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:39 am

a) its tax deductable and therefore easy to get 'corporate' donations (read : large)
b) i am always dontaing money to other people's causes that dont impact me at all
alex

Next

Return to South Australia