Amy's Ride - 1 November

Re: Amy's Ride - 1 November

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:00 pm

I'd like to try the 60k's, but a brakeless fixed would probably be frowned upon...
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?
Verbs & Nouns

by BNA » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 am

BNA

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:I'd like to try the 60k's, but a brakeless fixed would probably be frowned upon...

Yep.

Mind you there were a few SS on the Fathers Day Classic (up and over Eagle on the Hill)

The 60km would be a good ride for a braked FG.
MichaelB

Postby alex » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:33 am

hey zoltan you would be ok on your bike id say, everyone just does their own thing

you would probably want a brake for the descents though
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:20 pm

alex wrote:hey zoltan you would be ok on your bike id say, everyone just does their own thing

you would probably want a brake for the descents though

That's what skidz are for!
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?
Verbs & Nouns

Postby bionic wombat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:15 pm

I am keen to do this ride as a motivator
bionic wombat

Postby Trev Campbell » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 am

Hi Guys, I'm thinking about doing the 100k, but the only hills I really ridden is the old freeway. How does Willunga Hill compare to this ??? As I'm a bit worried about making it to the top !!!!!
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"
Trev Campbell

Postby Cycotic » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:58 am

Trev Campbell wrote:Hi Guys, I'm thinking about doing the 100k, but the only hills I really ridden is the old freeway. How does Willunga Hill compare to this ??? As I'm a bit worried about making it to the top !!!!!

The old freeway climbs about 420m in 9km, Willunga Hill climbs about 230m in 3km. It's really not that bad, it's just got a bad reputation because it's the biggest hill climb in the Willunga area.
Cycotic

Postby alex » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:34 pm

willunga hill has a similar feel to norton summit for me. but its a fair bit shorter. if you can ride up the old freeway you can ride up willunga hill no worries.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby Trev Campbell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks Guys !!!
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"
Trev Campbell

Postby bionic wombat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am

I have registered for the 100km ride - been using the http://www.railtrails.org.au/states/tra ... l&trail=42 as my training ground ( there and back )

The SA southern expressway bike track is a good test run with short incline's that will test your stamina
bionic wombat

Postby steveoc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:04 am

I havent been up the veloway before, so I thought Id have a quick look this morning.

First time up, its a bit deceiving, because you cannot see too far ahead of you. Its not a bad climb at all - there are several short gradients, but they are not too painful, and at the end of each visible section you get a nice relatively flat section to recover. Its well thought out.

Id recommend taking a stroll up there if you get the chance before attacking the slope .. otherwise you can easily underestimate it.

Note though that Amy's ride goes up the EXPRESSWAY to the right of the veloway, but it follows pretty much the same terrain features. Riding the veoloway is the only way you have beforel the ride to get familiar with the course. You cannot normally ride on the expressway.

So I took some piccies of the ascent up the veloway morning to share .. hope this answers any questions for our interstate visitors, or those who have not ridden the expressway bike path. Comments for each photo are ABOVE the photo.

Start of the veloway path from the Seacombe road junction, looking north towards town. Hang a left here and take the path to the South.

Start of the path under Seacombe Road, facing South.

Up she goes. Its only 3-4% here (I think). As soon as you reach the end of what you can see here, if definitely flattens a bit

Looking back North towards town after that short section .. couple of unusually coloured chickens on the fence ! There is actually a KFC just down the road aa bit, so maybe they are a promotional thing from that store ? Dont know. Anyway - another short rise after this, turning around to the right.

Followed by a great little flat-enough section to get your wind back. This is looking back North over town again

Back on the path, you can see it now kicks up a bit more just ahead ... and threatens to continue like that right up to the top of the spur line that you can see beyond that :

Looking back north over the path just after that rise. When you get to that green shed you can see, if flattens out again.

And then kicks upwards again .. into another blind corner.

After that, last little kick upwards, and you have crested the hill. All plain sailing from there.

So yeah, the only real issue with this hill is the psychological trauma for not knowing whats around the corner, and thinking the gradient may never end. But as you can see, its all very well laid out.

The flatter sections give you plenty of opportunity to take a break if you need to, or even stop the bike for a moment to admire the scenery (which is pretty damn good scenery)

This is my first time back on the bike in several months, and my legs / butt / back is a little sore :) haha

Coming down is interesting - there is quite a bit of loose small stones on the descent, and it makes a huge amount of noise if you are not expecting it. I thought for a moment I had a flat. Be careful too - stay in the left hand lane on the way down all the way, because there are many blind corners, and you dont know who or what is coming the other way.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...
steveoc

Postby bionic wombat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:01 am

How is everyone going with their training for Amy's ride?
bionic wombat

Postby fitnhealthy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 am

My only training is riding to work each day which I am happy with.

Is anyone planning on riding back to their cars afterwards? I'm doing the 60k and thinking about it. Is it only 30k direct route back and would it mostly be downhill?

Thanks
fitnhealthy

Postby Richard.L » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:13 pm

fitnhealthy wrote:My only training is riding to work each day which I am happy with.

Is anyone planning on riding back to their cars afterwards? I'm doing the 60k and thinking about it. Is it only 30k direct route back and would it mostly be downhill?

Thanks

Might join ya if weathers ok and if im not stuffed up by following a fast group up there
Last edited by Richard.L on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard.L

Postby alltorque » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:02 am

I'm not really doing anything outside of my usual training for the ride. Heading out to Willunga Hill and back tomorrow morning though as I don't make out South much. Looking forward to screaming down that Expressway again that's for sure :)

Looks like the ride is way more popular this year too .. 2500+ registered by the looks of the BikeSA newsletter. but I must say i'm not keen on the jersey.. :S
alltorque

Postby bionic wombat » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:21 pm

Rode up Willunga Hill this morning - its not the bad as it seems despite some sections have 15% gradient. Really gets your heart pumping and lung busting :)
bionic wombat

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:52 pm

bionic wombat wrote:Rode up Willunga Hill this morning - its not the bad as it seems despite some sections have 15% gradient. Really gets your heart pumping and lung busting :)

You are right, it's not bad.

Nowhere near 15% though. Maybe 8 - 9% at the lower slopes and then pretty constant 6 - 7% the rest of the way.

See ya there.
MichaelB

Postby bionic wombat » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:08 pm

the guy from LBS reckon some sections of the Willunga hill has 15% gradient - I take it with a grain of salt

I am the guy that rides that black / red kona zing road bike
bionic wombat

Postby alex » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:38 pm

bionic wombat wrote:the guy from LBS reckon some sections of the Willunga hill has 15% gradient - I take it with a grain of salt

I am the guy that rides that black / red kona zing road bike

you can be certain that there is no 15% section on willunga hill
alex

Postby SLH » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm going to be doing the 100 ride. I'll keep an eye out for you lot. :)
BMC SLC01.

SLH

Postby DansAvanti » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi All
I am registered for the 100kms. This will be my first 100km ride. I have been training a bit but mostly 40-50km rides, 2 or 3 times a week.

I see the forecast is for 36deg! pity it is starting at 10am, would have been nice to avoid the heat. Plenty of water for the trip!

Dan
DansAvanti

Postby Richard.L » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Im sure the policy states that if its over 35 that it would be cancled and the date would be changed??
(Most sports always cancel when its 35, at school level anyway :D )
Richard.L

Postby DansAvanti » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:10 pm

I had a look through the ride guide, downloaded from the web site, no mention of hot weather changes. I did a bit of riding last summer, just need to keep the fluids up!
DansAvanti

Postby alltorque » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Well it looks like BikeSA have until 8am Saturday to decide if they'll modify, postpone or cancel the ride according to their extreme weather policy... They should make the start time earlier anyway...say around 7 or 8am.
alltorque

Postby alex » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 am

when i read this i was about to post 'are you guys insane, as if its going to be 36 degrees, who cares what the policy is'. then i looked at the forecast... strewth.
alex

PreviousNext

Return to South Australia