2010 TdU - LA is coming !!!!

2010 TdU - LA is coming !!!!

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Lance and Radioshack are in for the 2010 TdU

He's baaaack

Should mean another bumper crowd again !!!!
MichaelB

by BNA » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:41 pm

BNA

Re: 2010 TdU - LA is coming !!!!

Postby Ben85 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Great can't wait, gotta go get a team kit so i'm just like him..........................NOT

wonderful people if they put all the money they pay him to be here into an Australian pro team, we would have something to cheer.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades
Ben85

Postby RICHARDH » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:22 pm

? :? What was that all about. I dont even like the guy but i can see the massive advantage he brings the the race just look at the viewing numbers and the economic benefit he brought to the state this year it was massive.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)
RICHARDH

Postby AntiSpeed » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:11 pm

Wow...
You are more than entitled to your opinion Ben85, and I know a lot of South Aussies feel the same way, but I didn't think any cycling fans did....

I am stoked to have him back for all kinds of reasons, not least of all that more quality riders will come simy because there is more TV coverage when he is involved.
AntiSpeed

Postby Richard.L » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Is there free to air programing on the TdU anyway?
Richard.L

Postby SLH » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Maybe Cavendish too. Now that would be something special for TDU to have those two here.
BMC SLC01.

SLH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 am

Yep we had highlights on sbs last year, i think :? i doubt Cav will come he seems to do the Tour of Qatar most years.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)
RICHARDH

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 am

Ben85 wrote:Great can't wait, gotta go get a team kit so i'm just like him..........................NOT

w*****s if they put all the money they pay him to be here into an Australian pro team, we would have something to cheer.

Okay .....

I'm not a Lance wanna be, but enjoy the additional coverage and prestige that he brought in 2009 and will bring in 2010. Overall, it's great for the state.

Not sure what your problem is Ben85, but if you stay away, fine by me.
MichaelB

Postby Ben85 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:16 am

MichaelB wrote:
Ben85 wrote:Great can't wait, gotta go get a team kit so i'm just like him..........................NOT

w*****s if they put all the money they pay him to be here into an Australian pro team, we would have something to cheer.

Okay .....

I'm not a Lance wanna be, but enjoy the additional coverage and prestige that he brought in 2009 and will bring in 2010. Overall, it's great for the state.

Haha, I'm pretty sure I didn't say you were a Lance wannabe.

No need to be a smart ass, the problem is, yes he brings the fans and a boost to the economy, but we have seen him once. Just imagine what Mike Rann is paying him, he took a while to confirm he was coming. Australia has been trying to get a pro team for years, but lacks funds and their willing to fork out millions for him to be here. Imagine all the young aussie riders in our own pro team. Money well spent and something to cheer about. What does SA cycling get from all the money it brings? Nothing.

It brings out all the idiots on our roads for the week aswell, not abiding by road rules upsetting drivers and this gives all the guys/girls that train and race all year round a bad name.

What about Cadel, he an Aussie and when was he last here?

My 2 bobs
Ben85

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:31 am

Okay fair enough ill will put this to you, first the govt. organise's the event so they should get all the profits. SA cycling gets the spin off of more participation how much has cycling grown since the inception of this race? Without a doubt there would be a million plus apperance fee, but an independant company put the economic benefit to the state in the $30 plus million ballpark so ill consider it money well spent. As far as newbies coming out on the road well and doing silly things, thats just a bi-product of more participation. Surely more people cycling can never be a bad thing. Would i be wrong in guessing you race and have some disdain for the recreational cyclist? not being a smart arse there just seems like more people cycling the better. As far as an Australian team, this is the govt. that supported the SA.comAiS team so they have done both i believe that the team has now secured Jayco for a sponsor, which is what happens very few sponsor's stay on for more than a handfull of years. The problem with an Australian team is that it needs sponsorship from some thats key market is Europe, how many Australian company's does that represent? I can think of 1, Qantas and even thats a bit of a stretch.
RICHARDH

Postby Ben85 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:56 am

Good reply, I don't have a problem with recreational riders, it would be good if they all raced though, as SA racing seen dying off abit. Answer me this from a recreational rider view, why dont the 6500 rider that do the community tour shiiit race?
Ben85

Postby alex » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:08 am

the sa.com team is a junior development team and is not a protour team

just saying...

as for the lance armstrong ego show, i dont even know what the 'livestrong message' is, im pretty sure everyone already knows cancer is bad
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby DanielS » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:10 am

Ben85 wrote:Good reply, I don't have a problem with recreational riders, it would be good if they all raced though, as SA racing seen dying off abit. Answer me this from a recreational rider view, why dont the 6500 rider that do the community tour shiiit race?

Agreed! I think a lot of people who do the challenge tour think that the demands of racing are too high for them - but in reality the vast majority of people who can do the challenge tour are probably fit enough to race! (but would probably have to learn a lot about tactics, positioning, cornering and suffering!!)

Have you seen the stuff on the CSA site about the 'IGA Cyclosportif'? http://www.sa.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=34297

Basically looks like a way for recreational cyclists to get a taste of competitive cycling.

Re. LA.... I can see why paying him the $$$ to race is a good financial decision, if there is more money coming into the state from tourism etc then its a good decision. If it means cycling becomes a bit more popular, hopefully that means there is an even bigger chance of there being a top-level Australian-sponsored team one day.
DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:18 am

Oh and personally I don't care about Lance, I just hope Jens comes back.
DanielS

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:27 am

Didnt follow the last question, if your asking why they dont race then i would say that most people find it daunting to start racing. I have wanted to start for awhile but my fitness is crap (wouldnt be that way for long and will definitely be doing it at some point). If your asking why they do the ride (which i dont think you were but ill cover that base as well) it because riding in a massive bunch is pretty fun and a good excuse for a ride. Alex your right it was a U23 development squad thats given us the likes of Matty Lloyd Jack Boberidge and Leigh Howard. There is no way that any govt. would fund a Pro Tour team its too much money for not enough gain, the only system that works is the Trade Team system becuase a company will get a benefit from the investment to say why dont they spend the (lets say 2 million as i think thats what the Giro paid for three weeks of his services) 2 million they've given Armstrong on a team is just silly because thats not going to do anything. The event is the key here how many people came out last year, well i just looked them up apparently over all the stages 743,000 people attened the race. Now what that does for cycling is huge, that 743,000 people that might not do stupid things in the car because they see a cyclist on the road. Thats 743,000 people that might think of taking the kids out for a ride on the weekend.
RICHARDH

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:34 am

Ben85 wrote:Good reply, I don't have a problem with recreational riders, it would be good if they all raced though, as SA racing seen dying off abit. Answer me this from a recreational rider view, why dont the 6500 rider that do the community tour shiiit race?

I don't race for several reasons ;

#1 - seen too many guys that race have accidents, and don't want to end up in that boat
#2 - I am more than happy cycling for fun - don't need a trophy or other kudos to do that
#3 - I am likely to spend more money than I need to go faster - just can't help myself
#4 - enjoy watching others that do
#5 - just don't want to

Aside from the many that come out just for the event and pack up again in winter, there is always more that keep on cycling, and as Richard said, all the better for the state in terms of employment, and better health.

Whilst your first post may have been misconstrued, not every cyclist wants to race.
MichaelB

Postby SLH » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:23 am

Ben85 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:

Okay .....

Haha, I'm pretty sure I didn't say you were a Lance wannabe.

No need to be a smart ass, the problem is, yes he brings the fans and a boost to the economy, but we have seen him once. Just imagine what Mike Rann is paying him, he took a while to confirm he was coming. Australia has been trying to get a pro team for years, but lacks funds and their willing to fork out millions for him to be here. Imagine all the young aussie riders in our own pro team. Money well spent and something to cheer about. What does SA cycling get from all the money it brings? Nothing.

It brings out all the idiots on our roads for the week aswell, not abiding by road rules upsetting drivers and this gives all the guys/girls that train and race all year round a bad name.

What about Cadel, he an Aussie and when was he last here?

My 2 bobs

1. Cadel Evans has stated that the TDU is too early in the season for him. He was interviwed during the race last year.
2. SA Cycling gets an increase in members (unless they've lied in press statements) which relates to increased funds, exposure and participation, which may even lead to a spinoff of extra members for cycling clubs. Now, what is SA Cycling's charter again?
3. All those "idiots out on the road" are the recreational cyclists that may eventually enter the races that you see to crave so much. Without these "idiots" your races will stagnate. AS for al of them not obeying the roa rules, well I've seen enough examples of riders in club kits doing the same thing that I'm sure it comes down to individual rider mentality.
4. You answered your own criticism. Armstrong brings millions of $ into the state and now, we'll reap double the benefits. The problem is?

I'm racing in crits this next season (been away for a few yeas), but the only thing that is holding me back from being too excited is the mind set of many club members I meet that recreational riders are ruining the roads/sport for them. That attitude is keeping the sport elitist, stagnant and unwelcoming.*

* Just showing what generalisations look like. I don't actualy believe this...well maybe a bit.
BMC SLC01.

SLH

Postby Ben85 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:48 pm

SLH,

1- thats is the worse excused ever, I'm pretty sure any Australian would love to come back to his/her country and ride in front of their home crowd. Fit or not. I'm pretty sure he could not ride for 1yr and stil finish the TDU. There is more to it than that.
2-Yes Cycling SA gets more numbers, not sure how many, but I reckon 90% would be juniors.
3-The guys in club kits should no better, lol thats all i got.
4-Yes he bring money to the state, but money going out??? I heard 15g for half hr speaking last yr. Be better spent on local talent.

Great your racing crits, tell your mates. Racing isn't about winning, its about fun and the thrill you get.

My opinion of SOME recreational riders is they think their showtime don't stink. I don't have the best bike, and SOME of these guys look at you like showtime. They riding 50mm carbon wheels on cafe rides???? Not cool. I guess a bit of jealously, but I your legs do the talking not your 15g bike.

My whole first arrogant post was about supporting local talent and your country. If i upset any body, i'm sorry, when my tendonitis goes in my knee, you wont see me on here as il be training. If everyone on here spent the time on the bike they spent on here, you would become competitive cyclist and SA racing would become huge.
Ben85

Postby SLH » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:59 pm

If I ride 100km through the hills etc, then pull into a cafe for a coffee with friends, am I a "cafe warrior" because I own a nice bike?

Reverse snobbery.
BMC SLC01.

SLH

Postby Ben85 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Haha, you must have alot of time on your hands, to ride 100km then stil have time for a coffee. thats about 4hrs. Impressive. The last thing i wanna do after my weekend training is listen to people mony balony at a cafe while cramping up sitting in a uncomfortable chair.

No thats doesn't make you a cafe loser, warrior is a strong word, not to be used in same sentence.

SLH, what grade do you race in, il keep an eye out for you.
Ben85

Postby 1st XV » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:51 am

Ben85 wrote:Haha, you must have alot of time on your hands, to ride 100km then stil have time for a coffee. thats about 4hrs. Impressive. The last thing i wanna do after my weekend training is listen to people mony balony at a cafe while cramping up sitting in a uncomfortable chair.

No thats doesn't make you a cafe loser, warrior is a strong word, not to be used in same sentence.

SLH, what grade do you race in, il keep an eye out for you.

well, there is 48 hrs in a weekend.............just enough for a 4 hour ride and maybe a quick coffee....... :roll:
1st XV

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:37 am

Geez Ben might want to lighten up a bit. 10 whole posts and your telling everyone here that they should get off the net and ride there bikes more maybe re-read your post and look for the bits that sound condescending.
RICHARDH

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:44 am

Ben85 wrote:Haha, you must have alot of time on your hands, to ride 100km then stil have time for a coffee. thats about 4hrs. Impressive. The last thing i wanna do after my weekend training is listen to people mony balony at a cafe while cramping up sitting in a uncomfortable chair....

Me too. No 50mm rims, but still a bike that is much better than me.

I think you need to take a look at the big picture Ben85, take a deep breath and smile.

If you are cramping after training, that points to some other issues in my very limited book.
MichaelB

Postby Ben85 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:11 am

Michael , my big picture is different. To promote Aussie cycling.

Il leave it at that.

Thank u all for the laugh.
Ben85

Postby 1st XV » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:46 am

Ben85 wrote:Thank u all for the laugh.

Likewise......... :roll:
1st XV

Next

Return to South Australia