TDU/ BNA cycling and training rides, organise your ride here

shiv

Re: TDU/ BNA cycling and training rides, organise your ride here

Postby shiv » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:43 am

asianexpat wrote:hello.

this is a loop ride which I like to do to Lobethal. It runs parallel to Fox Creek and goes to Cudlee Creek but still a good ride nonetheless with good rolling hills

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sadd ... 74722&z=11

or if u like a bigger challenge with more rolling hills

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sadd ... 07274&z=12

Nice rides, if I can get my ass into gear this afternoon I might try the freeway loop. I start from Edwardstown so its almost exactly right for me. Just gotta hope the legs are up for some climbing!

asianexpat

Postby asianexpat » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 pm

note that "colins hill road" in the 2nd route is definitely a hill.... despite the surprisingly deceiving short distance of flat at the start of the road.

initially, u're led into thinking..."hey, this isn't too bad after all!" haha. but its a nice short burst of climb...puts a lot of lactic acid into those legs though.

have a good ride shiv!
Its on in the mind. Never say die.

Why drive when you can ride.

Shut up legs.

aLLEz aLLEz

wxmrob

Postby wxmrob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 am

I go for a ride AFTER 9am on weekdays if anyone is available/interested. I generally leave Brighton at 9.30am and go out for 3/4 hours and usually include 1 or 2 tough climbs.

shiv

Postby shiv » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Im away in Brissie baby sitting for 2 weeks, but when I get back that sounds inviting wxmrob. Need to find some riding partners to get me going again. I start from edwardstown or mitchell park so thats not far from you. Might send a pm your way soon

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:32 pm

hey wino
another good addition to the fox creek loop is to not go along tiers road but drop into lenswood and go along swamp road, swing left at the big concrete rain water tank with graffiti all over it to stay on swamp road, keep along swamp road and you'll end up on greenhill rd near balhannah (or if you dont feel up to it you can turn down a road that takes you to the back of oakbank race course, its labeled oakbank. this is quite a nice addition probably and will add about 10 km if you wanna go a bit further, i ride this quite a bit however i go from lobie straight to lenswood rather than fox creek road
harry
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

Wino

Postby Wino » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks Harry, I'll give it a go at some time. Beautiful part of the world through there.
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

optoplex

Postby optoplex » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:47 pm

bit of head wind this morning, but nice to have warmed up a little.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks asianexpat and Wino, I appreciate the time u have aken to put these up... might see u out there very soon, as my new road bike is arriving in a few days :)
Cheers
Harry
asianexpat wrote:hello.

this is a loop ride which I like to do to Lobethal. It runs parallel to Fox Creek and goes to Cudlee Creek but still a good ride nonetheless with good rolling hills

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sadd ... 74722&z=11

or if u like a bigger challenge with more rolling hills

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sadd ... 07274&z=12
Wino wrote:I use these two loops to make up 60km. Together they follow some of the TDU CC route, some good hills, some easy, a few nice cruisy sections where you can just go for it, and finishes off with a flatish ride back along Onkaparinga Rd into Woodside.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 4198388163
and
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 5717315229
This second part is much easier, check out the profile.

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:45 pm

knew you wouldn't be able to resist a new roady since the Mrs moved in the Carbon Fibre world :P
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:50 am

brettjames wrote:knew you wouldn't be able to resist a new roady since the Mrs moved in the Carbon Fibre world :P
yeah i was struggling to stay in front on the MTB... so had to finally source a good steed :)

she loves the azzurri... shes cranked out some kms on it :) Shes now in training for the TDU!

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Excellent news. See you 2 at the TDU then ;)
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

amt

Postby amt » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Planning to ride up Gorge Road this Sunday 18 Oct. Will meet at Cafe Felici Rundle Street 8am. I will post an update if anything changes.

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:34 am

After three weeks off the bike (nasty virus), ride to work day went well, so at this stage I'm up for it, will meet you somewhere along Gorge road, probably at the corner of silkes road as that is my normal entry point.

amt

Postby amt » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:55 pm

robbie d wrote:After three weeks off the bike (nasty virus), ride to work day went well, so at this stage I'm up for it, will meet you somewhere along Gorge road, probably at the corner of silkes road as that is my normal entry point.
will likely be there around 8:30

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:17 pm

bump
whered the interest go
i cant for next few weeks i got exams yr 12 eek neway
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:44 am

I guess people have had stuff on, weird weather etc. Hopefully the weather settles down a little bit. Last ride I had to abandon AMT, my legs weren't ready for hills after 3 weeks off the bike. Got to the old homestead on gorge road, turned back and ended up following the bike track to the sea, then to glenelg, then back to windsor gardens via greenhill, portrush and OG roads. Set a new best (no laughing please:D) of 83km

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 pm

83 is no laughing matter by my standards my best is bout 40 and that takes me forever, slackened off a bit lately though school is my excuse yr 12oh well 2 exams down 2 to go ill be free at the end of next week forever.
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009

steveoc

Postby steveoc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:09 am

Hi all,

I have a circuit loop here that may be handy for TdU training :

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 5343658253

- Starts at Norwood, and follows the TdU stage 4 route as far as Mt Barker
- Same distance as TdU stage 4 (161km)
- I have tried to match the profile of the TdU ride as much as possible, Unfortunately, after Mt Barker, there is another 200m of ascent to get back up to the top of crafers via Hahndorf ... ah well .. the rest of it is a long straight stretch with some slight downhill straights (cross rd). Total climb on this course is 1000m, compared to 850m for TdU.
- Ride out to Outer Harbour - guaranteed to get a headwind either on the esplanade or Victoria Drive, so that should simulate coming into Milang/Goolwa with well over 100km on your legs.
- Being a loop, there are plenty of opportunities to truncate the course with some shortcuts, so you can build up the miles over time.
- Plenty of nice coffee stops on the loop :lol:

Its pretty much cycling friendly on the roads laid out there - but I need an opinion on the old Mt Barker road from Mt Barker back to Crafers via Hahndorf - is that a safe option ? (Never ridden that route before)

Depending on work committments, I should make a start this weekend. First run out on the bike in a while, and I cant climb for jack at the moment .. so will be planning a gentle stroll for starters. Glenelg - Norwood - Cudlle Creek - Lenswood .. then turn around and go back the same way. Pace will be very slow for starters, but I am hoping to do the full loop a couple of times before Jan though. Mostly worried about making a good pace on the ascents.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:57 pm

hi was wondering if anyone rides with the tuesday treadlers and if so were will you be riding this week. i ended up riding for a bit with you guys last week and got invited to come this week, dont think i can do the full 50 60 km only ever done 40 but would like to try half especially if you head over lobethal way.
thanks harry
oh also is the start balhannah oval or is it different
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009

SLH

Postby SLH » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:09 pm

School holidays start in a couple of weeks and I'll be out pretty much every day. Would be good to have a training partner for some rides if anyone is interested. Looking to do some 100km + rides including hills and some spins of about 40-50km. I live around Glenelg, so if you're up for it send me a pm sometime.
Look695 & BMC SLC01.

amt

Postby amt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:21 pm

Poor Weather has been a contributing factor for my lack of posting here. This Sunday is looking very good will probably do Gorge Road to Cudley Creek. I'll confirm Saturday meeting point will be Rundle Street.